• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you name the guns that you build?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve never built a ML but I have named a few of my manufactured rifles. None are named a feminine name out of fear that it might be a bad time of month during my next hunt. Hunt over!

Ain’t nobody got time for that.

I built a Great Plains Rifle percussion kit, and later the companion pistol. I thought about naming them Thor and Odin to honor my Norse heritage. Never put it on the guns. Not a ML but I have aptly named my .450 Marlin 1895M as Thumper.

I only build modern rifles, I do put the caliber/cartridge designation on them. Most are all in mc millan, Accuracy International or manners stocks in different colors. I might call one the blue 22-250, digital 260 or the green 6.5x55 🤪

Years ago I did engrave "Thumper" on my 30-378 WBY Improved, that's the only one with a real name on it

Sometimes a gun gets a name... but most don't. It just comes or it doesn't.

I have a trade gun that I assembled from a North Star kit several years ago; but I didn't name it. Nor would I, because I didn't build anything. Kits are a process of fitting, assembly, and finish... but not building. There's a big difference. So the trade gun is just the trade gun. She's a good gun... but nameless.

Now, I only build from a blank. When building from a blank each gun does develop it's own personality; but I don't think about naming a gun that I'm going to sell. I currently have two rifles that I built. My .50 is "Miss Sally"; a name that came to me right after she was finished. My .58 is called "My Fifty-Eight"; which may not sound affectionate, but it is. I love that caliber. I've had other guns that I built and used for a time, but only one of those had a name.

Regardless of the fact that they're inanimate objects, there is a relationship that develops through the process of planning and execution. Of fabricating parts and furniture, laying the gun out, making that first cut on the wood, and putting everything together after the last coat of finish has cured. Once in a while, that relationship inspires a name.

Thought of naming my GPR Jessica because that is a favorite name of mine but I have three friends that would probably not like the idea. They are all named Jessica. Also thought of Betsy but that is my wife's name. Instead I just numbered them e.g. that's my first one tother is my second one. Lost count after that.

If so why or why not? Feminine or Masculine? Is it bad luck to name it before it's finished? I must know the rules as I don't want to breach etiquette.
I don't know if its any breach of etiquette . I have named guns .One I refer to as 'Felix' another as 'Snappis the first' 'a rifle' After' In style) Felix Werder of Zurich the other a Scottish Rifle with a Snaphance lock both 17c styles . I don't talk to either but record my shooting of them in those terms . Another gets written up as 'Dunderdale' a 44 cal lined into a rusty old 16 bore scelp barrel its old flint lock being stamped Dunderdale Mabson & Labron listed as 1807 -1821 gunmakers & factors 25 Russel street Birmingham . One 50 cal Flint rifle I list as 'Light 50 call 'I made it to weigh just 5 pounds . others get '490 ' & 'Two grouve ' both resurrected relics but good bores .plus a small group get lumped into ' Turkey guns' not for Turkeys just Turkish styles . . is that suitable ?.
Regards Rudyard

Built a Kibler Woodsrunner in 54 last year. With my Scandinavian heritage I wanted to name it appropriately and carve the old Runes in the heel of the stock. I was considering "Ancient Warrior" or "Death Wind", at which point my wife starts laughing. She Says "So it is named "Old Fart" right??". It has Old Fart carved in the stock..... :dunno:

Don

Built a Kibler Woodsrunner in 54 last year. With my Scandinavian heritage I wanted to name it appropriately and carve the old Runes in the heel of the stock. I was considering "Ancient Warrior" or "Death Wind", at which point my wife starts laughing. She Says "So it is named "Old Fart" right??". It has Old Fart carved in the stock..... :dunno:

Don
That's awesome

I personally strongly dislike the naming of guns. Really in my mind the only thing that should be named is boats/ships and maybe airplanes, thats it.

I see guys naming their guns ridiculous stupid stuff like La Fawnda from Napoleon Dynamite and then expounding the virtues in semi sexual language trying to be poetic and it frankly turns my stomach.

If a guy needs to stroke his weapon in private go for it, but keep it private!

I usually just call them what they are, my Beck, Haines, Tn, fowler, Gustomsky, Bogle, TC kit, TC GM and Biff's gun (a gift from a great friend). On my first build, the Beck in .54, the name "thumper" came to mind after I killed a few deer with it so I think of the rifle a deer thumper but refer to it as my "sorta" Beck because it is pretty far from being a legitimately correct Beck rifle seeing as how that it is my first build and all.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back