• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zouave or Enfield?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both choices have merit.

If you plan to shoot paper targets, most front sights can be tweaked for elevation, but windgage is a problem. Some remove the original front sight, mill in dovetail, and replace it with a version that can be drifted L or R to center the group. Some claim they adjust the point of impact by holding off the bull, but they have more skill than I.

The Zouave rear sight blade can be drilled for a small aperture (like the leaf sight on a 1903 Springfield), which I find helpful. Too far away for a true peep sight, but better than a notch & blade. Where to drill the aperture seems mostly trial-and-error, but extra leafs are found at Dixie and S&S.

The Enfield rear sight can be modified to adjust for windgage with a slotted blade similar to that on P-H Volunteer Rifle. You can also tweak the elevation by making new blades of different heights.

The P-H with British markings are the best. The Euroarms are OK and a distant second.

Numrich Arms sold 8 groove complete Zouave barrels in the 1970's and they are great shooters. Some may around today on eBay or other sites.

Right now I am using 40 grains of fffg, but I am still going to do some more experimenting. Mine works well just as the minies come out of the mold, but there are variations in bore size and mold size.

If you plan to shoot paper targets, most front sights can be tweaked for elevation, but windgage is a problem.

The rear sights on Zouaves are held on with a screw that has a couple of dimples in the head rather than a slot. If you loosen this screw you can often get some windage adjustment as the sight will pivot on the screw. To loosen/tighten the screw I made a pronged screwdriver to fit the dimples by grinding down a flat-bladed stubby screwdriver that I carry in my shooting bag.

Back