• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zouave Accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdillion

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What kind of accuracy can I expect to get with a Euroarms Zouave rifle shooting a hollow base Minne and 60grs of powder. I'm thinking of getting one of these for my primary whitetail rifle.

You will have to determine through trial and error exactly what powder charge your Zouave prefers -- it may be a few grains either side of 60. But these rifles are known to shoot sub-two-inch groups offhand at 50 yards, and sub-four-inch groups at 100. Depends pretty much on the shooter.

I was able to hit a small print edition of a Reader's Digest at 110 yards with mine, I use the old style minie ball lubed with alox over 70 grains of FFg.

I have a Euroarms Zouave repro. Bought it new about ten years ago. I use it for International Muzzleloading competition & have been very happy with it. The only modifications I made to the rifle are smoothing up the trigger, bedding using cardboard shims under bolster & barrel (at band locations), & filing down the height of a couple of the rear sight leaves to get me on target at 100yds/meters (the only distances I shoot it at).
I use 55gns of GoEx 3Fg, or 50gns of Swiss 3Fg, under a 612gn Minie. When fired from the prone position, using a sling, it can keep ten shots inside a 3-4" group. In my rifle I found I get much better accuracy with 3Fg rather than 2Fg, but I'd suggest you try both in yours. Also, for the best accuracy, the Minie should be sized a hair under bore size.
I've never hunted with mine, but have no doubt it would do a spectacular job on deer-sized game.

I said 60grs because I've heard that was the basic original load. Man, that is a pretty good shooting rifle. How well do the 3 leaf sights work? I will probably get one of these. I started to get one a couple of years ago. Bought a cartridge box, cap pouch, bullet mold, and cast the bullets, but got sidetracked on a couple of rifle builds.

:thumbsup: Thanks guys, you've probably sold me a rifle. :) :grin: :applause: :rotf:

Don't forget to try PRB's. Several Zouave owners I know got excellent results with PRB but had a hard time finding the right Minnie combo for the Zouave.
I have the English Enfield and yes it works very well on deer and targets.
Fox :thumbsup:

rdillon asked:
How well do the 3 leaf sights work?

I really like them, though they are not as versatile as some, like the Enfields. One tip you may find useful though, when you get your Zouave lift up all the sight leaves & you will see a disc with two dimples in it. The disc is the head of a screw that holds the rear sight to the barrel, if you loosen the screw the rear sight will pivot left/right which will enable you to get a fair amount of windage adjustment. I filed down a stubby screwdriver to two pins that locate in the dimples, & carry it in my shooting box. You can scribe a light reference mark on the sight & barrel showing the center-line if you like. I have found that feature to be very useful in competitions. As far as I know all Zouaves have that screw, my Euroarms-repro., & my original Remington both have it, so I would think most of the makers would have retained it.

Whats the recoil like on one of these? I've had shoulder surgery 3yrs ago and I'm a little sensitive to a hard kicking rifle. I can still shot them just have to wear my pad.

This is a fairly hefty rifle--over nine pounds. With the standard load recoil is pretty mild. In order to stoke it up very much, you need to use a Minie with a thicker skirt or you'll start blowing the skirts out.

rdillion said:
Whats the recoil like on one of these? I've had shoulder surgery 3yrs ago and I'm a little sensitive to a hard kicking rifle. I can still shot them just have to wear my pad.
Of course recoil is a very individual thing. At least, how we perceive it is.

A 60 grain powder load under a 500+ grain Minie' has a muzzle energy that is about the same as a .45-70 shooting a 500 grain slug.
IMO even in a 9 1/2 pound rifle it is pretty stout.

The .58 caliber Zouave loaded with a similar powder load under a patched .570 diameter roundball will reduce the recoil about 20 percent which a person with shoulder problems would appreciate.

arquebus said:
rdillon asked:
How well do the 3 leaf sights work?

I really like them, though they are not as versatile as some, like the Enfields. One tip you may find useful though, when you get your Zouave lift up all the sight leaves & you will see a disc with two dimples in it. The disc is the head of a screw that holds the rear sight to the barrel, if you loosen the screw the rear sight will pivot left/right which will enable you to get a fair amount of windage adjustment. I filed down a stubby screwdriver to two pins that locate in the dimples, & carry it in my shooting box. You can scribe a light reference mark on the sight & barrel showing the center-line if you like. I have found that feature to be very useful in competitions. As far as I know all Zouaves have that screw, my Euroarms-repro., & my original Remington both have it, so I would think most of the makers would have retained it.

You can buy the dimpled spanner from S&S Firearms www.ssfirearms.com

Duane

Last edited by a moderator:
rdillion, try wearing a PAST recoil shield. I wear one during the 4 day Ontario Muzzleloading rifle Championships and couldn't do it without it. You can even wear it under your clothing while hunting as I have.

:thumbsup: I do. Those things are great aren't they. Couldn't stand my 30-06 without it.

Don't know about Euroarms, but I shot N-SSA with my Zoli a few years back. It shot better than I did. (42 grains FFF & a .776 "Ashcan" Minie)

By the bye- I know that's a light load- virtually no felt recoil.

I find that the Minie needs to be "sized" and the skirt formed round. I made a swager out of nylon along with a nylon "butt plug" that swages the Minie round when pushed through the sizing die. My groups shrunk from 3"-4" to 1"-2" @ 50 yds using 60 gr of 2F Geox :v . Your results may very :thumbsup:

Accuracy can be great. But as others have stated, you must find the right bullet and powder load.

58calZouave.jpg

As you can see this is what I came up with after trial and error. I spent the whole day working this combination load up. As far as the powder load, I will be using this combination for NSSA shooting competition.

As to hunting, I would have to get my powder loads up above 50 grs here in Virginia. But that would be just a bunch more fun for me working up that load.

These old type guns have a lot of potential and can be very accurate and fun to shoot.

Back