• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patched Ball Accuracy in Repro Springfield Rifled Muskets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
What kind of accuracy are you getting when shooting from a rest?
Since the rifling is so shallow do you have to back off the powder charges so the patches don’t skip the rifling?

Last edited:
What kind of accuracy are you getting when shooting from a rest?
Since the rifling is so shallow do you have to back off the powder charges so the patches don’t skip the rifling?
I have to ask why are you shooting round ball in a gun designed for the minie?

I have to ask why are you shooting round ball in a gun designed for the minie?
Flatter trajectory, more shots per pound of lead, probably a reduced likelihood of ricochets. Very little of my shooting is done on ranges.

Flatter trajectory, more shots per pound of lead, probably a reduced likelihood of ricochets. Very little of my shooting is done on ranges.
Flatter trajectory? Maybe. More shots per pound? Depends on the design of the minie. Reduced ricochets? Nope. But if you insist, bless yer heart.

A guy can hunt up a machinist with pin gauges to determine exact land and groove diameters of his particular repop barrel, then the shooter has the privilege of ordering what will probably be a custom mold and or sizers, then casting the minies, which can be pretty frustrating -- or he can pay through the nose for said projectiles from a vendor. On the other hand, the local Sportsman's, Cabelas or Bass Pro will likely have a box of pure lead swaged round balls from Hornady or Speer for under $15 bucks. A rag of denim, linen or pillow ticking, powder and caps and he is off shooting his Springfield. Unless re-enacting or skirmishing, shooting PRBs in military muskets makes all kinds of sense.

Many years ago, like in the 70's, I had an Italian Zouave. I didn't have any bullets for it but did have a round ball mold. I found that it had pretty good accuracy, but it had to be kept pretty clean.

Lots of folks used to do this years ago. A patched round ball works very well in a rifled musket, even with shallow rifling. By using a roundball a shooter could use his musket in roundball rifle matches as well as musket matches.

I don't have repros, but I do have several original rifled muskets. Patched round balls (.570) shoot very accurately in my rifles, using the standard 60 grain service charge. However, they impact very high above the point of aim, about 24" at 50 yards, compared to about 5" high with standard Minies. I can hold for 5" and still whack a deer, metal clanger, or a bowling pin, but would struggle to hold 2 ft. low and still hit my intended target. Not going to fiddle with my sights on an original, but on a repro I certainly would come up with a solution to get POA and POI in alignment.

Latest posts

Back