• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your favorite muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only one, TC .50 Hawken build in early 70's. My favorite rifle of all. All kinds of game and varmint with it though not so much any more. Super accurate.

sidelock said:
My only one, TC .50 Hawken build in early 70's. My favorite rifle of all. All kinds of game and varmint with it though not so much any more. Super accurate.

:bow: WOW :shocked2: He has done it, what my wife feels I should have done at age 12, stop at one :surrender:

Muzzleloaders are a lot like peanuts or potato chips......you can't stop at just one. :hatsoff:

Mine is my Lyman Plains Pistol that I built from a kit. It was my first gun and I made a lot of rookie goofs but I had fun building it and even more fun shooting it. It is accurate and gets a lot of attention at the range. Even with all of the mistakes it is a pretty piece.

I'd have to go with my Lancaster/Isaac Haines. It's a fine piece, dependable as they come with the parts being so high quality. (Siler lock, Rice bbl, and white lightning touch hole will make a believer out of anyone). I am learning how to REALLY shoot it and am amazed at its capabilities. Not a hunter, yet, but this one will get me there I believe.

A close second, could even call it a tie, is my Pedersoli Brown Bess. It's a totally different animal, very military like in its look, feel, and performance, something that in another conversation a forum member and I agreed "demands respect."

My absolute favorite rife of all time was a southern mountain rifle built by Don Eads of Tennessee. I got that rifle in 1977 and that was back in the days when my eyesight was perfect. That rifle could put a ball through a hole at 50 yards! Unfortunately, that rifle was stolen in 2003 :shake:

These days, I love the rifle built for me by Mark Elliott (rifle #14). It's a left-handed .45 cal SW Virginia style with a rice swamped barrel on a beautiful maple stock, iron mounted with aged barrel and lock. When the fool on the back end of it is holding right, it can give me a nice ding on a metal target or a ball through the 10 ring.

Well, for many years it was my NA Brown Bess Carbine that I shot in competition in the mid to late 70's and reenacted with as a Sergeant of Continental Marines. Also used it when I began doing a Confederate States Marine, until I shattered the stock through the wrist during a "Tactical." I finally fixed it and traded it for my full length Pedersoli Bess around 2000 and had a great time with that Bess whilst doing a Private Soldier in the Major's Coy of the 42nd RHR.

Also during the mid to late 70's, I often borrowed a hand built Post AWI Flintlock rifle from my best friend in life, to shoot in rifle competition. He passed away a few years ago and left that rifle to me. So I suppose that Rifle has an edge over the Bess, from fond memories of my friend and shooting it years ago.

Gus

My favorite rifle is my Hot Rod Hawken. it has a green Mountain fast twist barrel, Lyman 17AML globe sight with Lee Shavers BPCR inserts. It has a Lyman 57 SML peep with a spacer underneath to give it more range. It uses a Paper patched 409 gr RCBS 11mm rifle bullet. I carry this rifle on any weapon hunts as well as muzzleloader hunts. Hunting with this rifle is not a "limitation".

HawkenwithRecoilpad1.jpg

Deer05small_zps0b0e79c1.jpg

Antelope%2003_zpst2nv5cqx.jpg

Thanks guys for sharing the amazing pictures!

In my little collection are a couple of ml's that for various reasons I have yet to shoot. But of the ones I have, the one I most enjoy is this trim little .45 cal by Tim Johnson. To my memory I have never had a miss-fire or hang-fire and it is much more accurate that I am. Kudos to Tim who is an amazing maker....Mick C

My new TVM Early Lancaster from TVM. 50cal., 36" barrel flint. Dark brown stained maple. Browned barrel & lock. German Silver trim. I plan to hunt with it in both the ML season & regular gun season.

I think this is going to be my favorite because it is my first build that I finished just this week. . .having started 11 months ago.

It is a TVM late lancaster kit in .32 w a rice barrel. It is special because of the time it took and things I've learned from building it.

My%20finished%20rifle_zps6kwdwslt.jpg

IMG_1409_zpss3m8fjxa.jpg

Mac1967 said:
I think this is going to be my favorite because it is my first build that I finished just this week. . .having started 11 months ago.

It is a TVM late lancaster kit in .32 w a rice barrel. It is special because of the time it took and things I've learned from building it.

My%20finished%20rifle_zps6kwdwslt.jpg

IMG_1409_zpss3m8fjxa.jpg

:doh: you put the lock on the wrong side!! :shake: Next build take yer time :blah:

VERY NICE! I too shoot left handed and am sinfully jealous :thumbsup:

This thread tells me I'm not putting in enough range time.
Even my old standby TC New Englander with the Hoyt heptagon .458 barrel is gathering dust.

HA !! Dang, I thought it looked a little odd . . .lock on the wrong side . . . who'd of thought?

My favorite is my first one, a .54 Hawken halfstock.

In 1977 I was getting ready to ETS from the Army. I was stationed at Fort McPherson, GA. I was getting interested in muzzleloaders and back then it seemed like my only options were T/C or CVA. We had a guy come in to our unit from Alaska. He had two rifles made by Bill Fuller, identical except one was percussion and one was flint. He suggested I wait until I got home and check around to see if there were any builders in the area. I thought that was pretty good advice. When I got to Austin I went to one of the old time gunshops and asked around. They recommended a guy named Davy Boultinghouse who lived in Round Rock Texas. Davy built rifles and knives. I contacted him and he built my rifle, ++p curly maple, Ron Long triggers and lock and a Douglas XX barrel. Along with some custom silver inlays on the barrel and a couple other extras, all for $500, delivered in 1978.

I went back in the Army in 84 and was stationed in Germany. We had a club with Germans and US. At one of our shoots a German came up to me and asked my how much I wanted for my rifle. I told him it wasn't for sale, he kept after me, I thought I was going to have to fight him before he finally got the point. I thought about saying some outrageous amount, like 10,000DM but he might have gone for it.

Anyway, my favorite is my Boultinghouse Hawken.

Chris

Back