• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your favorite hunting bullet?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PA Cope said:
To add to the above post, i have harvested ALL three with .54 rb and maxi's. To be fair, caribou aren't all that tough, and a rb is more than enough. Moose and bear, to me, are on a different level. They're tough, and can take a good hunk of lead in stride. JMO. :v
That's why...speaking for myself...I favor the larger .58/.62 calibers for big game based on the old saying:
I'd rather have more than I need (ie: for whitetails) and not need it, than need it and not have it.
But a heavier conical can definitely add additional capabilities to a given caliber...

I've only used a patched round ball, just 'cause I'm frugal (read "cheap"), but I do like the historistosity :rotf: of the roundball.

roundball said:
PA Cope said:
To add to the above post, i have harvested ALL three with .54 rb and maxi's. To be fair, caribou aren't all that tough, and a rb is more than enough. Moose and bear, to me, are on a different level. They're tough, and can take a good hunk of lead in stride. JMO. :v
That's why...speaking for myself...I favor the larger .58/.62 calibers for big game based on the old saying:
I'd rather have more than I need (ie: for whitetails) and not need it, than need it and not have it.
But a heavier conical can definitely add additional capabilities to a given caliber...
Thank you, i couldn't have said it better myself.

This is my last post on this subject. It's simple math... .530 rb at 224gr., .535 at 231gr vs 400-480gr. You do the math, which is gonna penetrate better, traditional or not. I prefer to kill my intended target right then and there. Not saying that a rb won't do the job, just there are better tools for the job. I like the rock and steel but, i must be caught in the middle. If rb where the be all end all, we would never have minies, maxi's, ect. Don't get me wrong, i still use rb, but it depends on the situation. Depending on my mood i may use rb or maxi's for whitetail in .50 or .54. I use rb in my .36 because it would be stupid to use maxi's for squirrels and rabbits. Maybe i should be classified as semi traditional. To each his or her own. :surrender:

I understand PA Cope; all I ever hunt is deer and never have any intents of doing anything other than that. I have used conicals and bullets and I do believe that they have better "effects" if you will; but, my favorite is a patched ball.

I also prefer a recurve bow over a compound/crossbow (either of which I really don't like at all) or longbow. I guess it's just a personal enjoyment thing because all are effective within their limitations.

While I'll never be a purist, my main attraction is to hunt with the minimum traditional basics of PRBs out of a Flintlock.
I think we have to be careful about the notion that minis and maxis evolved because PRBs aren't good enough...that same rationalization could be carried right on to say that's why modern centerfires evolved.
Alternatives to bumping up to big heavy more modern conicals is to simply to ensure the caliber PRB matches the game being hunted and/or get closer like the settlers did.
If someone doesn't happen to have larger calibers (ie: .58cal, .62cal, etc) to properly match PRB size to the game being hunted, then the economy of making an existing smaller caliber more capable comes into play and the more modern conicals can be an obvious alternative to buying an entire larger caliber gun.
In the end, its just a hobby and we all pursue it as we like, as circumstances dictate, etc.

Latest posts

Back