• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Modifying a Maxi-Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firehole

32 Cal
Reaction score
What do you guys think about drilling a little concave in the head of my Maxi-Ball so that it acts a little bit like a traditional hollow-point bullet. Someone even suggested even sawing a "X" or a cross on the front of the bullet so the that the bullet expands more on or before impact. I wonder if it will cause the bullet to tumble unless I am perfect with making the bullets. ???????????

I would think if you could get the hole precisely centered and squared it would work. Depth consistency also. If you really wanted to try it I would shoot at least 3 groups of 5 before/after and you should have some idea if it works for you.

What do you guys think about drilling a little concave in the head of my Maxi-Ball so that it acts a little bit like a traditional hollow-point bullet. Someone even suggested even sawing a "X" or a cross on the front of the bullet so the that the bullet expands more on or before impact. I wonder if it will cause the bullet to tumble unless I am perfect with making the bullets. ???????????
Old ill-conceived idea. TC actually sold a kit to do similar as a potential remedy to Maxi-Balls ‘penciling’ through game when bone wasn’t hit before they came out with their Maxi-Hunter offering as a solution. Have a couple of the kits and spoiler alert, they didn’t improve performance on game. Doubt they would improve to things today. Maybe contemporary lead will help? Try what you must and report back. Inquiring minds want to know.
1652071507438.jpeg

1652071532410.jpeg

In all honesty, I’ve never seen the need for a Maxi Ball to expand. Killed quite a few deer and one elk with hard cast .50cal Maxi Balls. Not one critter went more than a few yards. Even when penciling through.

For ways and reasons I cannot explain, there’s just something about that big chunk of lead that’s traveling at those speeds that kills critters fast like. On a couple of occasions I shot and the deer stood there looking at me. Thinking I had missed, after a few seconds the deer dropped. It’s as if the Maxi Balls stunds them.

And let me tell ya, if/when solid bone is hit, it shatters it big time.

Also, out of all the critters I have shot with Maxi Balls, I was able to recover only two Maxi Balls. All others were complete pass through shots.

The first one I found a bunch of tree bark in the grooves. I was able to find the downed tree limb it went through before going into the buck.

The last one was on an elk that was every bit of 125 yards plus. The Maxi was barely in the offside hide. That was after it had taken out a rib or two.

IMO, some people over think Maxi Balls.

I read about modifying maxi ball by drilling a hole in the top to make a hollow point. I don't know about trying to make them deadlier but I ordered 20 from a site that I've been buying all my Muzzle loading stuff. I weigh all my round ball and got curious and decided to weigh the Maxis . They were supposed to be 245 grains, 8 were 230 grains and the rest were between 229 to 231. Not one was close to 245. I checked the order receipt, and it said 245 grain Maxi-balls. I'll be casting my own!

My maxis leave the barrel at .54" ... you could say they come pre-expanded. As said, I see no need for expansion. A big heavy hard-as-feasible cast bullet with a large metplat has been a proven Stopper of All Things for a long long time from front stuffers to BP cartridge guns to modern stuff.

Tried the hollow point Maxi when I was about 16 years old. Can't say I saw any benefit at all. Even tried adding a little 4f and a percussion cap to hold it in. Shot steel plates in the hope of seeing something cool happen. Total waste of time.
I have thought about this for fun. I think you would see something cool happen if you hit a deer in the boiler room with it. Cool and illegal. Might be good pig medicine though in some states. Check your regs before the hand cuffs are applied. SW

My maxis leave the barrel at .54" ... you could say they come pre-expanded. As said, I see no need for expansion. A big heavy hard-as-feasible cast bullet with a large metplat has been a proven Stopper of All Things for a long long time from front stuffers to BP cartridge guns to modern stuff.
Absolutely. No need in trying to fix something that's not broken. Maxi Balls work excellent as is.

Maxi-Balls & all other large lead conical slugs used in ML rifles are pre-expanded, IMHO, & there is no need for a "Hollow Point". If you want more frontal area, get a 72 cal.

Tried the hollow point Maxi when I was about 16 years old. Can't say I saw any benefit at all. Even tried adding a little 4f and a percussion cap to hold it in. Shot steel plates in the hope of seeing something cool happen. Total waste of time.
Whether or not you do it your basement or backyard is totally your business, but guessing that adding 4F to the hollow point may not be something to discuss on a public forum. Certain government agencies frown on the concept.

From US Department of Justice.
It is a felony to possess, manufacture, import, keep, offer, or expose for sale, give, or lend any bullet that contains or carries an explosive agent.
https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-l...is a felony to,or carries an explosive agent.

They were supposed to be 245 grains, 8 were 230 grains and the rest were between 229 to 231.
Those are obviously not dropping at the weight suggested by the mold maker but the variations are not that far off especially when viewed as a percentage of the average or the median. I've weighed modern jacketed bullets in the 180 grain range that had that much variation and still shot accurately. The difference between 245 and 230 is not relevant to it's effectiveness as a hunting bullet.

Large variations in weight in your castings however suggest a problem with casting procedure. Most likely running too cold 🥶

Those are obviously not dropping at the weight suggested by the mold maker but the variations are not that far off especially when viewed as a percentage of the average or the median. I've weighed modern jacketed bullets in the 180 grain range that had that much variation and still shot accurately. The difference between 245 and 230 is not relevant to it's effectiveness as a hunting bullet.

Large variations in weight in your castings however suggest a problem with casting procedure. Most likely running too cold 🥶
Thank you for the info! I'm an old dog that's new to muzzle loading and learning as I go.

Whether or not you do it your basement or backyard is totally your business, but guessing that adding 4F to the hollow point may not be something to discuss on a public forum. Certain government agencies frown on the concept.

From US Department of Justice.
It is a felony to possess, manufacture, import, keep, offer, or expose for sale, give, or lend any bullet that contains or carries an explosive agent.
https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-l...is a felony to,or carries an explosive agent.
That was about 48 years ago. Well outside any statute of limitations.

Hornady Great Plains HPHB 385G in .50 will expand to better than 3/4".

Hornady Great Plains HPHB 385G in .50 will expand to better than 3/4".
Yup, they sure do. So much so that many elk hunters will not use them due to over expansion and lack of penetration. Some folks have used them successfully on elk and I'm sure they would be great on most deer.

Back