• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Modifying a Maxi-Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always liked this Lyman 50 395 grain design. Anyone here ever use these?

lyman-508-656_1.jpg

Old ill-conceived idea. TC actually sold a kit to do similar as a potential remedy to Maxi-Balls ‘penciling’ through game when bone wasn’t hit before they came out with their Maxi-Hunter offering as a solution. Have a couple of the kits and spoiler alert, they didn’t improve performance on game. Doubt they would improve to things today. Maybe contemporary lead will help? Try what you must and report back. Inquiring minds want to know.
1652071507438.jpeg

1652071532410.jpeg
I have one of these kits too. It’s squirreled away somewhere. It’s not a via tool. Better to have a mold reworked to provide a hollow point bullet

In all honesty, I’ve never seen the need for a Maxi Ball to expand. Killed quite a few deer and one elk with hard cast .50cal Maxi Balls. Not one critter went more than a few yards. Even when penciling through.

For ways and reasons I cannot explain, there’s just something about that big chunk of lead that’s traveling at those speeds that kills critters fast like. On a couple of occasions I shot and the deer stood there looking at me. Thinking I had missed, after a few seconds the deer dropped. It’s as if the Maxi Balls stunds them.

And let me tell ya, if/when solid bone is hit, it shatters it big time.

Also, out of all the critters I have shot with Maxi Balls, I was able to recover only two Maxi Balls. All others were complete pass through shots.

The first one I found a bunch of tree bark in the grooves. I was able to find the downed tree limb it went through before going into the buck.

The last one was on an elk that was every bit of 125 yards plus. The Maxi was barely in the offside hide. That was after it had taken out a rib or two.

IMO, some people over think Maxi Balls.
I’m not a fan of hp bullets for game. A wide flat meplat with sufficient weight to penetrate as deep as you would expect to need. For elk, a 4-500 grain 45 will be perfect. Not legal in some backwards purple or blue government states but it works perfectly.

Yup, they sure do. So much so that many elk hunters will not use them due to over expansion and lack of penetration. Some folks have used them successfully on elk and I'm sure they would be great on most deer.
I really don't know how many deer I've shot with them but it's a lot. I only recovered one on a falr sized buck that was struck through both shoulders at around 30 yards. and I found it just under the skin on the off side. I pushed them hard in those days. like 110 G of RS. I never hunted anything bigger than average whitetails and can see where they may not be suitable for elk moose or large bear but think they would handle just about anything else. I think they make heavier ones with a solid base and perhaps non hollow point in the 400 to 425 G range, or you could use the reguler maxi-ball if you need more penetration.

What do you guys think about drilling a little concave in the head of my Maxi-Ball so that it acts a little bit like a traditional hollow-point bullet. Someone even suggested even sawing a "X" or a cross on the front of the bullet so the that the bullet expands more on or before impact. I wonder if it will cause the bullet to tumble unless I am perfect with making the bullets. ???????????
Why? Don’t fix what ain’t broke. Don’t over think it. Have you tried them??

Why? Don’t fix what ain’t broke. Don’t over think it. Have you tried them??
No I haven't, but was thinking that the bullet is such a great penetrator that I wanted a little bigger hole going through all of that flesh. That would mean a better blood trail, less travel time after the hole is made, more venison on the table and less for the vultures. Besides I over think everything so why stop now.

No I haven't, but was thinking that the bullet is such a great penetrator that I wanted a little bigger hole going through all of that flesh. That would mean a better blood trail, less travel time after the hole is made, more venison on the table and less for the vultures. Besides I over think everything so why stop now.
Tinkering is fun most of the time. However, if you’re wanting a super expanding conical for deer I recommend the Hornady GPB 385 grain. They are very accurate out of one of my .50’s.

There’s pics that can be found on the net of some that were dug out of elk. Unbelievable expansion, or rather over expansion. I would reckon they would do very well on deer.

The ones I tested appeared to be made out of some pretty soft lead.

Last edited:
Back