• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 caliber Sharps Bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After many years of hunting with Hawken type rifles I bought a Sharps percussion Sporting Rifle. I have fired it with round balls, REAL bullets, and Christmas Tree bullets with loose powder. After watching a couple of YouTube videos about making paper cartridges, I started doing that as well. My question is towards deer hunting.

Some of those Sharps bullets are a big chunk of lead. What is the best type to load for Whitetails? I know that they will all kill a deer, I'm curious as to other's experiences and a proven load. I have a REAL bullet mould and just ordered an Eras Gone Richmond Labs Sharps mould to try. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

After many years of hunting with Hawken type rifles I bought a Sharps percussion Sporting Rifle. I have fired it with round balls, REAL bullets, and Christmas Tree bullets with loose powder. After watching a couple of YouTube videos about making paper cartridges, I started doing that as well. My question is towards deer hunting.

Some of those Sharps bullets are a big chunk of lead. What is the best type to load for Whitetails? I know that they will all kill a deer, I'm curious as to other's experiences and a proven load. I have a REAL bullet mould and just ordered an Eras Gone Richmond Labs Sharps mould to try. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
What does your bore measure. I don't mean what's stamped on it or what somebody thinks it is. You have to slug the bore and measure, THEN start thinking about bullets and molds. The Eras mold, while a historically decent repop of the original bullet, often casts a bullet far too small to properly engage the rifling.

I would choose the one that was most accurate.

I’ve only shot one deer with a 63 Sharps with the Xmas tree type. It was in the lungs and worked as well as anything else of any type of rifle. I’d use it again but in my state it can only be used during hi power seasons because it’s not a muzzleloader.

Don't know if that can help, but the different brands of Sharps rifles have certainly different calibers.
I'm using a sporting rifle Pedersoli with flax cartridges, 60 to 70 grains of BP 2Fg, and 500 grains of pure lead bullets (Christmas tree out of the Pedersoli mold), the caliber is .541". This is the best load/accuracy result I get till 200 yards. I do sometimes shoot with paper cartridges, but this is not as efficient as the flax...
Read dave951 and LME... ;)

Last edited:
I understand all that has been offered. What I am looking for is experiences and results with the various bullet types and loads.

The last buck I shot with a .54 caliber round ball passed completely through the deer, left an easily followed blood trail, and he didn't go far. Looking for the same results with the Sharps.

I'm in the same boat as Phil. They don't count as a muzzleloader for the special season, only during the regular unmentionable season.

Latest posts

Back