• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Youngsters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Donald’s ready....

2878AD5B-135F-4B4F-A68F-2CC7384FFF6A.png

30% of my total viewers are under 30 and 5% are female. That’s pretty solid in my book. Of course, 50% are over 55, but by my back-woods finger counting arithmetic, that means a similar number are 54 364/365ths and under. Not too bad. :thumb:

I have about those same numbers. My You Tube is focused just on building so it is is going to have a smaller audience, but there is more interest in it than I would have thought.

It is not all a sea of white either. About 2/3 of my viewers are American. The rest are from all over the world. And it is not all white people countries. People all around the world are just the same as us when it comes to history and tradition.

I have about those same numbers. My You Tube is focused just on building so it is is going to have a smaller audience, but there is more interest in it than I would have thought.

It is not all a sea of white either. About 2/3 of my viewers are American. The rest are from all over the world. And it is not all white people countries. People all around the world are just the same as us when it comes to history and tradition.

Amen brother. Folks is folks. Slightly more than that are in the US for me but it’s close. And you’re getting a bit of a cult following. It’s pretty darn awesome. The famous gunmaker who videoed his progress every step of the way. You’re like the gun making Frank Zappa.

Last edited:
I turned 26 in September, so I just missed your cut off. My first muzzleloader was a Knight TK2000, I ran into by pure coincidence at a gun shop I decided to check out just for fun in Pillager, MN back when I was in college. I was likely 18 maybe 19. I walked out with that for $110. It only grew from there to rifles and more shotguns, and even a couple pistols.

I’m 27, but I’ve grown up with it. Because I’m always curious, for the other young folks, how did you find or get into Blackpowder?

Also, 75% of the NMLRA YouTube Audience is less than 50 years old, seeing a lot of bright days ahead!
I bought a flintlock rifle Sophomore year of college and there has been no looking back since...

I’m 27, but I’ve grown up with it. Because I’m always curious, for the other young folks, how did you find or get into Blackpowder?

I'm no longer young, but I got into MLs by chance in my mid 20s. I took an intense interest in modern guns when I was about 10 and began learning all I could about them, then when I was about 25-26 I was in a bookstore (no interwebz back then), looking at books about modern guns, and I came across one of Sam Fadala's Black Powder Handbooks. I started paging through it, and I ended up reading half the book right there in the store, then I bought it and brought it home. I had never given MLs much thought until then, but looking at Sam's pictures and reading his prose lit a fire under me and opened up a whole new area of interest. I started diving into MLs the same way I'd done with modern stuff, learning all I could and eventually picking up a couple guns in my late 20s. The rest is history.

Also, 75% of the NMLRA YouTube Audience is less than 50 years old, seeing a lot of bright days ahead!

More chance than anything. My family had hunted the muzzleloader deer season a time or two, but never consistently. I didn't know anybody who enjoyed shooting muzzleloaders regularly.

... I came across one of Sam Fadala's Black Powder Handbooks. ... looking at Sam's pictures and reading his prose lit a fire under me and opened up a whole new area of interest.
👍 Sam's Black Powder Handbook also had a big influence on me. I was never into guns at all....bowhunter only (for big game) since a young teenager. At 40 I was kind of looking for something to give me a little more edge during December when the deer were super-spooky from all the pressure the last several months. I picked up Sam's Handbook and the thought of a traditional muzzleloader really appealed to me. Still a big challenge....still one shot...beautiful like a fine traditional bow. Just a little more range to reach out there a little bit further. 21 years later...still doing it.

I'm encouraged that there is a good population of younger men (and maybe women?) here on the forum and watching Bob and Bill (and others I'm sure) on Youtube. But I've also had the experiences of trying and failing to engage others who just don't want to invest the time it takes to be a good traditional muzzleloader shooter/hunter. But, I think it's always been a small and "exclusive" group in terms of the total shooting sports population, so perhaps that hasn't really changed that much.

To all the younger guys/gals here...thank you...I hope to keep hearing more from you.

Amen brother. Folks is folks. Slightly more than that are in the US for me but it’s close. And you’re getting a bit of a cult following. It’s pretty darn awesome. The famous gunmaker who videoed his progress every step of the way. You’re like the gun making Frank Zappa.

Having my own cult might be kind of fun. I could have a hippy camp out in the woods with a bunch of old guys wearing bathrobes living there. On second thought, having my own cult would just be too weird. I did get recognized once so I guess that means I am famous. Actually the only difference between me and anyone else that builds guns is a camera. I am not doing anything that anyone else could not do.

Ethan Yazel is doing some great building videos. He is showing what building a gun is like for someone new to this. I can't wait for his next one.

Having my own cult might be kind of fun. I could have a hippy camp out in the woods with a bunch of old guys wearing bathrobes living there. On second thought, having my own cult would just be too weird. I did get recognized once so I guess that means I am famous. Actually the only difference between me and anyone else that builds guns is a camera. I am not doing anything that anyone else could not do.

Ethan Yazel is doing some great building videos. He is showing what building a gun is like for someone new to this. I can't wait for his next one.

The only problem is that if you are going to have a cult in the woods, it needs to be with a bunch of young women.

Back