• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Traditions Kentucky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fstreed

32 Cal.
Reaction score
New here, first post.

Santa brought me a nice .50 cal. Traditions Kentucky pistol this year. It was on closeout at a local farm supply place for $180.00. I tactfully suggested to the missus about a week before Christmas that it would sure make a nice present. Lo and behold, it showed up for the big day.

I have owned a few muzzleloaders over the years. I have had a Ruger Old Army in stainless since the early 80s, used to shoot it a lot, but kind of got away from black powder over the years. This pistol has rekindled my interest.

The pistol is surprisingly high quality for the price. The metal to wood fit is very good. It does have a few little glitches. The angle of the nipple is slightly off and the hammer doesn't hit it square, but it doesn't seem to affect the way it shoots. The muzzle crown is rough in one spot, kind of ragged.

The pistol is made in Spain. The stock appears to be European Beech, nicely stained, and it fits my hand well. When I first got it the trigger was extremely hard with lots of creep. I have now shot about 70 or 80 shots with it and between that and dry firing it (catching the hammer with my thumb) the trigger has cleaned up nicely. The creep is completely gone and it is crisp and releases cleanly. It is still a little harder than I would like, but it is good enough to shoot accurately and more shooting should improve it even more.

The sights are actually pretty nice, or would be if the front blade was a bit higher. It shoots a foot or so high at 25 paces, and is probably on at around 80 or a hundred paces. I won't say yards, because I'm not sure how much actual distance a 57 year old geezer covers wading through a foot or so of snow. It also shoots a bit to the left. I have a couple of taller sights on order from TOTW and will dial it in when they get here. I have no doubt that I could hit a silhouette sized target at 100 yards with this pistol, most of the time anyway.

I wasn't able to get any black powder locally so I bought a bottle of Triple 7. It seems to do OK, I think it works as well as Pyrodex or better. I had a little trouble with slow ignition at first but have learned to turn the pistol with the drum pointed down and tap the side a time or two before capping and have had no more problems. I have been mostly shooting with 25 grains (by volume) although I have tried it with up to 35 grains. I am shooting .490 round balls with TC pre-lubed pillow ticking patches. Most of my shooting was just at tree stumps or rocks. I did fire one decent group at 25 paces that put 7 shots in a nice cluster of about 2 inches or so, I didn't measure it, just guessing, and randomly scattered the other three shots as flyers. I suspect this might be a result of the damaged crown. I let the ol' woman take a turn with it and after a couple shots to figure out where it was hitting she started shooting limbs off of a piece of manzanita brush about 15 yards away. The third one in a row she got a big smirk on her face and I decided that was enough shooting for that day. Durned woman, I'll leave her at home in the kitchen next time!

Over all, I really like this pistol. Sure, it won't shoot with my scoped TC Contender (very little does), but it shoots at least as well if not better than several modern revolvers and pistols I have with open sights. Now I just need to score some real black powder, this triple 7 stuff smells funny...

Welcome to the forum. What ya mean wading through snow? You mean you have some snow in K.Falls? :rotf: We moved over here on the west side from K.Falls about 5 years ago. I do miss the snow for hunting in. There are quite a few fellas over there that shoot these charcoal burners. Check out the Mazama Mountain Men club. Have fun with the new toy. :thumbsup:

Rebel, I get over on that side of the mountain ever so often. Much nicer weather this time of the year.

Do you know of any places around Medford on up to Roseburg that sells black powder?

If you used the cci #11 magnum caps the time between the ignition of the cap and the gun going off will decrease because the regular #11 isn't enough for those substitute powders.

There was a dealer in Oakland, just about 15 miles N. of Roseburg. I will check with him and see if he is still selling it and for how much.

I just called him and he still has some 3f Goex and he said it was around $16 a lb. Him and The Gun Works up in Springfield are the only 2 places i know of that sell it.

If you have not taken the lock out yet, you may want to. There is a small screw on the tumbler that you can adjust the trigger pull with. You will end up with significant play in the trigger, but not really noticeable when you are shooting. Mine was a kit and the front sight was quite tall and I filed it down some. At 25 and 50 yards I will hit bullseyes If I do my part. And with a little practice and a stouter load up to 40 grains you can consistantly hit 100 yard targets. I use a 45 acp cartridge full of ffg for my target loads.

Ghettogun, I had the lock out and know the adjustment you are talking about. I haven't tried adjusting it yet. I will give it a try.

I took the pistol out today and put about 25 shots through it. The trigger has smoothed up a lot, I think by working with the tumbler/sear adjustment I can get it real nice.

Interesting that your front sight was tall enough to file down. Mine isn't. It should be fairly easy to change it, and I have a replacement on order.

I hope to try some Goex 3F sometime soon. So far I have only tried the Triple 7 in 3F. I have some Pyrodex P, I think I will try that tomorrow.

Mine shot just fine with pyrodex P. I have since stocked up on Goex Black. I did not see any real difference in my pistol. In my rifles I can tell the difference in performance.

I tried a few shots with Pyrodex P yesterday but didn't have enough of it on hand to really work with it. I used to shoot it almost exclusively in my Ruger Old Army and it shot well. The can of Triple 7 I bought is shooting well, if that was all I could get I would be happy with it. It seems to do best at 25-30 grains and has turned in a few really nice groups. I hope to put in an order for some Goex 3f before too long, as soon as I can slip it past the Executive/Legislative/Judicial branch of the fstreed household.

I cleaned up the crown where it was damaged and that cut the percentage of flyers way back. I also tuned the sear/tumbler engagement screw as you suggested. Sweetness! This thing is fun. Now all I need is the flintlock version to go with it.

I would not recommend the flintlock version. Their locks are not wholly reliable and you would definitly need real black powder then.

Back