• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yet another lube question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand the distinction and let me clarify to say the news report said "white" bear...there can be difference between a white animal and an albino.
I did however shoot an actual albino doe a few years ago, pink eyes, insides of ears were pink, and very light colored nose & hooves with a light pinkish undertone to them...have seen a couple since in that same area I hunt so there must be some genetics at work there

Probably just a couple of polar bears that went south for the winter( they love Miami) and migrating back north for the summer but speaking of bear grease, I've got a coffee can full sitting in the bottom of my fridge that's been there for several yrs. since I killed a bear. Still looks and smells good.
I've never tried patching with it but I'm gonna try it.

Natural Lube worked fine for me down to -20F. Kinda stiff but never froze in my bore. Reckon I'll keep usin' it.

Vic

Maxiball

I don't know if you can do this, but why not try a wad cut from a used milk carton Just under the ball and patch. Thats what they do for BP cartridge rifles like 45/70"s. The wax coating prevents lube migration.

Good luck

Ken

"Natural Lube worked fine for me down to -20F. Kinda stiff but never froze in my bore. Reckon I'll keep usin' it."
========================================================

Huh!!!!

You got to be kidding! I've had that stuff outdoors for several hours in 20F.... froze solid! Next time you're in the woods several hours at -20F, run a bore brush down the Natural Lubed bore. Watch the bristles bend sideways like a squashed Christmas Tree & a few pieces of lube come out in small, hard chunks. What's in your rifling ain't comin' out Sharps until it thaws out for several more hours at home.

It will drastically affect your accuracy beyond 50 yards at those temps... even your powdery ignition is iffy.

Been there - done that!

This sure is a real puzzler to me...maybe different people apply different amounts of lube, but I'm struggling to imagine someone putting so much lube in a bore that if frozen it would noticeably bend a bore brush, and actually cause problems.

The only amount of lube my bores ever get when I'm loading a patched round ball to hunt is whatever minor little trace there might be from seating the patched ball down bore. (My specific lube is "Natural Lube 1000")

I know you've made several posts listing a variety of problems you've had with lube and I'm curious to hear exactly what kind of lube it was...ie: was it "wonder lube", was it "natural lube", was it an old style "bore butter", etc?

Also, how did you actually apply this lube to your bore that gave you these problems:
Was it wiped into the bore on lubed patches intentionally?
Was it used in the patches for patched balls?
Was it used in the grease grooves on conicals?

Just trying to understand...thanks :)

"This sure is a real puzzler to me...maybe different people apply different amounts of lube, but I'm struggling to imagine someone putting so much lube in a bore that if frozen it would noticeably bend a bore brush, and actually cause problems."
=========================================================

Roundball

I know of a half-dozen posters on various websites that reported using 54 cal brushes to clean their 50 cals.... 50 cal brushes to clean their 45s -- myself included... etc. Hope this better explains my last post about bent bristles.

Also.. Wonder Lube is a by-product of Bore Butter. The consistency of Wonder Lube allows it to melt at a slightly higher temperature ( around +10/15 degrees).

Also... my bouts with Wonder/Lube-Bore Butter date back to near 1990. With my first roundball rifle back then (junk CVA Plainsman 1-66), I would lather-up the shooting patches real heavy-like. I put it on like you would lather your bagel with cream cheese..lol. That following winter, Detroit muzzleloading season had a severe cold spell. I, like an idiot, was out there in the woods with every kind of face mask, electric gloves, toe heaters... etc. That's where I can relay my personal experiences about this product to another poster.

The moral to this story is that no matter if the application is dense or not, if it freezes & yes it will below 32 degrees, your bore brush will have one heck-of-a-time removing it... your bullet will not fare too well shootin with it... especially at -20F. It will sometimes come out in chunks at around 30F if left exposed to the elements. Go ahead & freeze a batch at 30F... try to apply it to a patch or conical immediately after opening it.

Now you tell me how that product can work properly at that temperature... let alone -20 degrees! Lubes like that cannot "lubricate" if they break-away from the bullet in pieces.

You really need to experience it Roundball! Ask the wifey if you can go to Siberia or Antartica muzzleloading this winter for an important blackpowder-like experiment... lol.

Lubes like that cannot "lubricate" if they break-away from the bullet in pieces.

That's why God made cloth. To wrap around good, honest round balls. If you're getting "small, hard chunks" you're overlubing. Just a nice, even smear is all you need.

I've used Natural Lube 1000 on Maxi-Hunters in plastic Quik-Shots down to 10

OK, that clears things up...the brush issue was due to their oversize and not the lube...and the chunks of lube evidently came from that heavy overlube condition...thanks
:)

I took my beargrease out for a try over the weekend. It was white just like lard in the fridge but when melted was a clear as water. It shot well but after the 1st shot was hard to load. Needed to be cleaned between shots.I'll put it in the freezer and see how hard it gets. Also tried straight olive oil, shot ok but needed to be cleaned between shots also. I'd like to get, at least, a few shots without cleaning and I was using a solid brass ramrod.

What brand of powder are you using? Sounds like it must be Elephant. When i was using Elephant i had the same problem, plus the fouling was really hard and crusty. After switching to Goex i can fire 10-15 shots without wiping the bore, even when the humidity is low.

I never use anything but Goex. If I spitpatch I can shoot all day without cleaning between shots but in a hunting situation spit can rust your barrel so was looking for something that wouldn't. Bear oil was fine 1st shot and spit patch was fine the 2nd shot because it disolved the fouling but bear oil the 2nd shot was very hard to load. I've heard that bear oil was a favorite in the old days but now wondering if it was.

Latest posts

Back