• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Yet another lube question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: roundball patch lube.
Now this is a very special post as you are going to see me admit something.
I'm a newbie to roundball shooting! :redface:
Oh yeh, I've been into muzzle loading a looooooong time, 30 years anyway, but only in the last few years have I teken this thing seriously. I'm completely hooked now, only black powder will do, and some of you people have completely corrupted me! :haha: Not only have I switched from bullets to rounballs, I'm even shooting them funny looking guns that use rocks to fire the charge!
Now for the question. I intend to hunt deer this winter with my Jeager .58 flinter and the patched roundball. What lube would work for the patch that won't corrupt the powder charge during an all day hunt?
I currently use beeswax, canola oil, and Crisco mix.
Last year I had the happy occasion to hunt mountain deer in Tennessee, got a shot too with the Lyman GPR flinter. Yup, 35 yards, spike buck broadside, hammer back, aim, click psssst, awe shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!
Laughed myself silly. :haha: Only shot I got all year too.

before i get into anything like makeing my own i'll just stick with T/C bore butter worked last winter for me........................bob

Your homemade lube mix sounds a little soft.. especially in a sorta-warm climate place like Tennessee. You can try placing a batch of Lehigh Valley or Ballistol lubed patches outside on an old door/windown screen to dry out some -- then pack em' in a sandwich bag.

Or... You can get another flask for Cormeal or Cream Of Wheat (not the instant stuff). Pour in 15 grains before loading the ball. Just remember to re-check your target groups when you do this. You may have to tweak for best accuracy... plus or minus five grains of blackpowder -- plus or minus five grains of cereal grains.

Those cereal grains also take the place of wonder wads/bore buttons. As a result, bore pressures will rise when you add them prior to a roundball patch. Don't shoot maximum powder charges with patch & cereal. Cut it back 5-10 grains.

Just my opinion... others may say something completely opposite. Besides, do you Ohio boys even believe a single word us neighboring Michiganders say or recommend??...lol

If you are huntin' in N.E. Ohio it gets cold as it does in Pa. one thing you need to keep in mind is you need a lube that will not freeze. The only one I found that works great for me and will not freeze is Lehigh Valley. I put a bunch of different brands in a dish and stuck them in the freezer for a night and Lehigh was the only one that came out pliable. I had a patch freeze to the bore one time, I was out all day in 10 degree weather. At the end of the day I got a shot at a doe and it wasn't a pretty picture. I'm not sure about any of the home made lubes, I guess the ones with Alcohol might not freeze. There goes another test for you.

P.S. are you changing your handle to maxi-round ball ::

Nothing but natural lube 1000 year round for 15 years...the temps in North Carolina often get into the teens during hunting season, never had a problem

Personally, I like Bear's oil or second best, TOW mink oil. The mink oil feels hard, but liquifies instantly with pressure or heat. Neither spoiled the shot for me & both maintain accuracy. The bear's oil was the best, staying runny even in sub zero weather.
; Too much heat will produce bear's grease or shortening, good only for warmer weather shooting. It makes excellent pastry as well. My wife wouldn't believe me until she tried it - best pie crust she ever made.

Haven't tried aluminum but felt or cardboard works. Vegetable wads, as used in BP cartridges, also work.

P.S. are you changing your handle to maxi-round ball ::
Maxi-roundball huh??? Say, that ain't half bad. Since I shoot some pretty big roundballs, .58, .62, and even 12 ga. balls maybe Maxi-roundball would work???
Wonder who could cook up a neat Maxi-roundball avatar?

Wonder who could cook up a neat Maxi-roundball avatar?

Give me a couple days to do a good one. :haha:

MaxiRound.jpg

My mix is 50% Crisco (or unsalted lard), 25% Murphy's soap and 25% beeswax by weight. I melt in a double boiler and pour into those big hypo's that are used as marinade injectors on turkeys at Thanksgiving. I leave the needle off and put the hypo in a zip-loc bag to keep from getting too messy. The possibles bag hides it well... :) A pea sized dab works great to rub into a dry patch - just enough slickum for most shooting. I also use the same mix on my cap-n-ball.

#3! This bullet would confuse game as it would never know if the bullet was comming or going and you could never load it backwards. :haha:

There is a real shortage of bear to render oil rom here in N.E. Ohio, but we got lotsa 'possums. Anyone ever render a 'possum?
I like T/C Bore Butter and 1000 nat'rl lubes, but they are .....well, store bought! Ugh! Too easy.
The bore button idea is a good one though.
Course there is always the double patch, hornets nest mat'l, corn meal....say, Crisco lube and cornmeal filler...you could bread and deep fry the deer at the same time! :bull: :bull:

There is a real shortage of bear to render oil rom here in N.E. Ohio,

Just two weeks ago, a man I work with hit a 200+ pound bear with his truck just north of Middlefield, Ohio in Geauga County (~30 miles west of the PA line)

I looked for it after work, but the carcuss was already removed, I suspect someone now has a rug...

Just as an interesting FYI on the subject of bears, our news has reported two separate incidents of albino black bears being hit and killed by cars this year over in the western/mountainous part of the state (NC)

Just as an interesting FYI on the subject of bears, our news has reported two separate incidents of albino black bears being hit and killed by cars this year over in the western/mountainous part of the state (NC)

Albino black bear in tree...
m33.jpg

I hear they have albino bears up at the Arctic circle, don't know if they be true albino, but they're white... :haha:

Back