• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wulf's feathers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

widget350

45 Cal.
Reaction score
"The only choice people had who wanted period feathers was to get the turkey ones that had the tip dipped in some kind of ink. I tried to make mine look more like eagle feathers by "flicking" the brush.. still got a lot to learn..

They were what I wore and put on my ryfl and horse...things like that...I thought to make them because they are different not like the "dipped end" turkey type..."

IMG_0401.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you Wulf's press agent, or what? Can we expect that you are going to promote everything the guy makes. :shake:

let him, he shows us the work of a brilliant craftsman - an idol of sorts for people to look up to for inspiration

besides, he's got some fine ideas :)

That is cool to make a Turkey feather look like an Eagle feather. :thumbsup:

I must confess I don't know the significance of the feather to Indiains or our fore fathers, could you elaberate on that?

Carl Davis said:
Are you Wulf's press agent, or what? Can we expect that you are going to promote everything the guy makes. :shake:
Wulf has a hard time posting pics. Give him a break. I enjoy seeing his stuff. :v

Coming from a place with eagles in most trees and feathers rotting on the ground (you can't legally pick them up), I'll sign on for the quality of the work. Beats heck out of either alternative- jail time or obvious fakes.

Nice work!

Keep the pictures coming!!! :thumbsup: Great ideas. Thank you posting them. :hatsoff:

I'm sorry I didn't feel like explaining this in every post I start for Wulf, but while I gave an extensive reasoning for my posting of Wulf's images in the pre-flintlock forum, I realize I neglected to do that in this forum.

As runnball said, Wulf has difficulty posting images. He, like a number of great craftsmen, some of whom don't even bother to try, is not good with computers. I am. After writing detailed instructions on setting up a Photobucket account and posting pictures (including photo steps of the process), he still couldn't figure it out.

I agreed that he could email his images to me and I would post them for him. I set up a dedicated Photobucket account for him in his name (he and I both have the password, and he has full rights to take it over at any point he wishes to try posting), and I've been posting much of the items he sends me. All the descriptions on the images are copied direct from his emails, only modifying the formating where necessary. He's had other people post images for him in the past, but I'm trying to do it in such a way that it takes me out of the post as much as possible.

This I do for YOUR benefit. He could send me the pictures, and I could just store them on my harddrive for my use, but that would be a disservice to this forum. There are many great craftsmen on here, and all their work should be made visible to anyone they wish to share it with.

If I'm overstepping my bounds by trying to assist fellow muzzleloading enthusiasts, I hope a moderator or admin will tell me, and I will graciously stop. That's not the sort of community I thought this was, though.

I sincerely hope that settles it. If there's any further objections, please contact me via pm.

widget350, you are not the first to help out a computor challanged member and you will not be the last, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks Swampy. I'm not trying to make enemies here, but friends. :surrender:

We'll see what Claude has to say about it...

I am sure that he'll say what most of have...'Thank you and that is kind of you to help Wulf'. Mr. Davis more than likely had no idea about your arrangement with Wulf and was more than a little puzzled by what was going on. :v Bud.

widget350 said:
Thanks Swampy. I'm not trying to make enemies here, but friends. :surrender:

We'll see what Claude has to say about it...

Carl is not the only one to complain about people posting their products, but some complain in private.

This is not the first time this issue has come up, so let me throw out a few thoughts...

We have had problems in the past with people posting "something I made" in an effort to sell it. Some people see the Forum as a ready-made marketplace for their wares. We have members now who only joined to be able to use the Classifieds. They'll never post in the forums, but that's okay - that's what the Classifieds are for.

Now, if someone were to do nothing but post photos of their wares and not contribute to the discussions, I'd have no problem asking them to stop, or asking them to leave. There's a fine line between; "Here's something I made" and "Here's another one of my products". There's such a thing as passive advertising and we see it all the time.

There's a line in the registration agreement that says: "We have no tolerance for those who come here only to sell their wares and have no interest in being part of the community."

I've been okay with the "pros" posting their handiwork because we can all learn from them and I don't think anyone is really abusing the system. It's obvious that they are in business and people can contact them privately.

There are forums that don't allow users to post their crafts if they are doing it as a business. The day may come when that happens here, but for now, I'm okay with how things have been going.

Thanks for the pictures, and the explanation. Do you have( Or does Wulf) any before and after pictures of dying the feathers his way? That would be the best way for others here to learn. And, I too would be interested in reading an explanation of the meaning of the feathers for the Indian cultures that used them. I grew up reading a lot of nonsense about feathers, and would like to finally know just what significance various tribes gave to displaying such feathers. Thank you in advance. I just read Claude's response, and it was as we all expected. I am not interested in buying these things from your friend. I don't live in an area of the country, where feathers were commonly displayed by the local tribes. If I lived further West, my interest would be different. :thumbsup:

Being a flytyer I'm interested in feathers. Besides dyeing there may be a suitable genetic turkey variety that would be useful as a substitute. Maybe a mottled black, heritage calico, or royal palm turkey would be useful. Natural is always better than dyed! If there is not a suitable genetic turkey maybe there would be a market for one.
:hmm:

Mottled cinnimon and white tipped turkey tail feathers are useful for flytying but that's another forum..

I don't have anything more than what I posted. Hopefully Wulf will add his comments regarding them. It seems that instead of dipping, he flung the dye onto the feathers, which would be a lighter way of covering them (and would avoid any defined line of color), making them more natural looking. That's just my interpretation of what he said. I have little experience working with dye, and less working with feathers.

Since I've been on this site, I can't remember Wulf ever selling anything. From my discussions with him, he sees something interesting and decides to make it. Some of his guns are very marketable, and have been featured in Contemporary Makers amongst those made by professionals, but as I said, I'm not sure he does a lot of building to sell, but rather for the love of the craft. That said, if he wanted to sell, I'd certainly be looking at some of his guns, though I doubt I could afford them.

Those are VERY cool. Thanks for the pics. I too would be interested in a bit more information on the details of the process and the history behind them. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Here's some genetic mottled black turkey feathers.
Link

For actual native ritual use I don't think a substitute would suffice but these natural turkey feathers could be used for decoration.

Well, I never thought to cause this much discussion on such a simple subject..Just about all I know is written with the pics. NO! I have
nothing to sell.If I did I would go through the
proper channels. I am not a wire person. Metal and
wood,OK, because I can understand the language...
I know very little about the meaning of the Indian
interest but I think you could learn much from the
book "The Mystic Warriors of the Plains" By Thomas E. Mails than I could tell you. Mr Widget
350 has been very helpful in giving me a chance to share what I have made over the years and I
thank him muchly. :applause:

Back