• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED WTB First Percussion Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been involved with this past time for over fifty years. I have bought and treasured many long guns, and regret trading and selling the beauties I once had.
Yes by all means, get a gun that fits you.
A rifle with a crescent butt plate is attractive, but is a beast if you shoot heavy bullets and heavy loads.
Also remember if you live in a warmer climate, you will most often be shooting with a light tee shirt, that and a crescent butt plate spells " hurt"
Also if you are going to shoot seriously, make sure your rifle has decent sights.
The little tiny front bead, and a scratch at the rear of the barrel don't make serious sights.
Remember also, most round ball muzzle loaders are good for 100 yrds. at best, an elongated bullet will stretch your shooting to 150 yards with good sights.
So if you are wanting to shoot 300 yards, get a different type of gun!
A serious hunter takes pride in getting close to his game. And a good solid hit on game is rewarding.
There are many custom guns out there ( expensive for sure ) , also the are some well made production guns out there as well.
When buying you may or may not be fully educated on what you want. Ask questions, make sure you know who you are talking to. Not some blowhard armchair general, who has not fired much more than a .22 or BB gun.
There is no shame in asking questions!
This is a lifelong journey, enjoy it!

I’ve been in the black powder game since the early 70s. I’ve had many TC, Hawkens and Renegades. They are both excellent firearms. I presently have several of the Hawkens but I find the renegade easier to shoot because of the shotgun butt. Since about 1977 I have had a brand new four digit Renegade barrel. I picked up an excellent condition TC Hunter stock on fleabay and married my old renegade barrel to it. It has an excellent trigger, and of course, the barrel is absolutely unfired. I figured it would be a real nice handy rifle for elk and deer. A few years ago all the geniuses in Denver decided that a round ball will no little longer kill an elk… Jeremiah Johnson would be rolling in his grave. I’ll take $450 plus shipping for it. I also have available one of my personal Hawken rifles. It’s been knocking around the woods for a while and I recently put a .54 caliber GM 1:66” twist barrel on it. I will take $500 plus shipping for it. If you’d like some pics, I’d be glad to send them to you. PM me your phone number or your email address if you’re interested. Michael

Hello! New to Blackpowder Muzzleloading. I want to buy either a .54 or .50 T/C Renegade R/H percussion lock rifle or a Lyman Great Plains .54 or .50 R/H percussion lock rifle.

Looking for the best bang for buck. I plan on getting a quality gun, which will last, one that I can hunt big game with and I plan on taking very good care of it.
Thanks in advance.
I’ve been in the black powder game since the early 70s. I’ve had many TC, Hawkens and Renegades. They are both excellent firearms. I presently have several of the Hawkens but I find the renegade easier to shoot because of the shotgun butt. Since about 1977 I have had a brand new four digit Renegade barrel. I picked up an excellent condition TC Hunter stock on fleabay and married my old renegade barrel to it. It has an excellent trigger, and of course, the barrel is absolutely unfired. I figured it would be a real nice handy rifle for elk and deer. A few years ago all the geniuses in Denver decided that a round ball will no little longer kill an elk… Jeremiah Johnson would be rolling in his grave. I’ll take $450 plus shipping for it. I also have available one of my personal Hawken rifles. It’s been knocking around the woods for a while and I recently put a .54 caliber GM 1:66” twist barrel on it. I will take $500 plus shipping for it. If you’d like some pics, I’d be glad to send them to you. PM me your phone number or your email address if you’re interested. Michael
Wackboodsman, started a conversation (PM) with you

Welcome WBM. I too am fairly new to this but I think you are on the right track. Some really helpful people here and a handful of cranks. Also a few really helpful cranks. I have been working w a relative's 50 TC Hawken which is pretty similar to the Renegade and I would prefer that to their Hawken because I like the shotgun butt. I tried for a month to purchase a couple of TC rifles on the forum, agreeing to the asking price but to no avail. It can be a bit quirky so I wish you luck. I was going to try again when the next Renegade showed up but now that I know you are looking I will desist for a spell. I ended up purchasing a brand new Traditions Hawken Woodsman for $450 at my local sporting goods store and I can't find a bad thing to say about it. I own quite a few guns and, although not perfect, it is very well made, very accurate w patched balls and conicals, and has not misfired once w #11 caps. I was a skeptical buyer bc of the low price even though the reviews were pretty good. Being able to physically examine it helped a lot. One thing that concerned me was a difficult cheek weld with the rear sight set at its lowest from the factory [probably to protect it in shipping]. That problem completely disappeared when I raised it up to about a 75 yard zero. And I could raise it more so it is not maxed in elevation by any means. I am still looking for a nice Renegade but since I am covered for now, its all yours. Nice Renegades go quickly here so you will have to stay on top of it. Good luck. SW

I have been involved with this past time for over fifty years. I have bought and treasured many long guns, and regret trading and selling the beauties I once had.
Yes by all means, get a gun that fits you.
A rifle with a crescent butt plate is attractive, but is a beast if you shoot heavy bullets and heavy loads.
Also remember if you live in a warmer climate, you will most often be shooting with a light tee shirt, that and a crescent butt plate spells " hurt"
Also if you are going to shoot seriously, make sure your rifle has decent sights.
The little tiny front bead, and a scratch at the rear of the barrel don't make serious sights.
Remember also, most round ball muzzle loaders are good for 100 yrds. at best, an elongated bullet will stretch your shooting to 150 yards with good sights.
So if you are wanting to shoot 300 yards, get a different type of gun!
A serious hunter takes pride in getting close to his game. And a good solid hit on game is rewarding.
There are many custom guns out there ( expensive for sure ) , also the are some well made production guns out there as well.
When buying you may or may not be fully educated on what you want. Ask questions, make sure you know who you are talking to. Not some blowhard armchair general, who has not fired much more than a .22 or BB gun.
There is no shame in asking questions!
This is a lifelong journey, enjoy it!
Thank you sir! I will take all of this into account!

I have both a Lyman GPR and a TC Renegade. In 50cal. I would say that it really depends on what you plan to use it for. The Lyman’s are a fantastic rifle. I’ve also owned a Lyman GPH, which is the 1:32 twist conical barrel. Both are tack drivers. The Lyman is a very well built, accurate rifle, but it can have some draw backs. It feels heavier with the longer barrel. The crescent stock will take a bit to learn if you aren’t used to it. If you shoulder it like your Winchester 94 or shotgun, you will have a good bit of pain to remind you do seat it against your bicep next time. I also find it to be pretty slow to mount for quick shots, propbably due to the longer LOP more than anything else.
The Renegade is what I love to carry while hunting. The shotgun style butt comes to the shoulder quickly and it balances so nice while hiking. I’m in Idaho and do a lot of hiking in the hills while I’m out hunting. The TC’s are very well built. My Renegade shoots a tighter group with patched round ball than the Lyman at this point, but uses 10gr less powder to do it. With the 1:48 twist, it comes with the added bonus of shooting a conical if you need it too. I’m still working up a good load for conicals that shoot with the accuracy I want. Others find that there TC’s prefer conicals right off the bat. Each one is different, so there may be more load work up involved with the TC than with the Lyman. This was my experience, but once I found the sweet spot, I have zero complaints. LOP is also shorter with the Renegade. That’s a big deal for some. Others have issues with proper cheek weld. I don’t have this issue, but cheek bone structure could make your experience either enjoyable or miserable. I hope my rambling helps, or at least gives you some pros and cons to weigh against them. Good luck!

I have both a Lyman GPR and a TC Renegade. In 50cal. I would say that it really depends on what you plan to use it for. The Lyman’s are a fantastic rifle. I’ve also owned a Lyman GPH, which is the 1:32 twist conical barrel. Both are tack drivers. The Lyman is a very well built, accurate rifle, but it can have some draw backs. It feels heavier with the longer barrel. The crescent stock will take a bit to learn if you aren’t used to it. If you shoulder it like your Winchester 94 or shotgun, you will have a good bit of pain to remind you do seat it against your bicep next time. I also find it to be pretty slow to mount for quick shots, propbably due to the longer LOP more than anything else.
The Renegade is what I love to carry while hunting. The shotgun style butt comes to the shoulder quickly and it balances so nice while hiking. I’m in Idaho and do a lot of hiking in the hills while I’m out hunting. The TC’s are very well built. My Renegade shoots a tighter group with patched round ball than the Lyman at this point, but uses 10gr less powder to do it. With the 1:48 twist, it comes with the added bonus of shooting a conical if you need it too. I’m still working up a good load for conicals that shoot with the accuracy I want. Others find that there TC’s prefer conicals right off the bat. Each one is different, so there may be more load work up involved with the TC than with the Lyman. This was my experience, but once I found the sweet spot, I have zero complaints. LOP is also shorter with the Renegade. That’s a big deal for some. Others have issues with proper cheek weld. I don’t have this issue, but cheek bone structure could make your experience either enjoyable or miserable. I hope my rambling helps, or at least gives you some pros and cons to weigh against them. Good luck!
Awesome insight! Thanks very much. It’s looking like Renegade at this point.

Hello! New to Blackpowder Muzzleloading. I want to buy either a .54 or .50 T/C Renegade R/H percussion lock rifle or a Lyman Great Plains .54 or .50 R/H percussion lock rifle.

Looking for the best bang for buck. I plan on getting a quality gun, which will last, one that I can hunt big game with and I plan on taking very good care of it.
Thanks in advance.
Not a Renegade but a Hawken T/C 50 Cal RH percussion on Gunbroker. Looks to be in fairly decent shape. Brass needs some polishing. No barrel pic tho -- just the muzzle. Item # is 973974248.
Current bid is $130.00

Back