• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED WTB First Percussion Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wackboodsman

Blackpowder Beginner
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello! New to Blackpowder Muzzleloading. I want to buy either a .54 or .50 T/C Renegade R/H percussion lock rifle or a Lyman Great Plains .54 or .50 R/H percussion lock rifle.

Looking for the best bang for buck. I plan on getting a quality gun, which will last, one that I can hunt big game with and I plan on taking very good care of it.
Thanks in advance.

Welcome WBM. I too am fairly new to this but I think you are on the right track. Some really helpful people here and a handful of cranks. Also a few really helpful cranks. I have been working w a relative's 50 TC Hawken which is pretty similar to the Renegade and I would prefer that to their Hawken because I like the shotgun butt. I tried for a month to purchase a couple of TC rifles on the forum, agreeing to the asking price but to no avail. It can be a bit quirky so I wish you luck. I was going to try again when the next Renegade showed up but now that I know you are looking I will desist for a spell. I ended up purchasing a brand new Traditions Hawken Woodsman for $450 at my local sporting goods store and I can't find a bad thing to say about it. I own quite a few guns and, although not perfect, it is very well made, very accurate w patched balls and conicals, and has not misfired once w #11 caps. I was a skeptical buyer bc of the low price even though the reviews were pretty good. Being able to physically examine it helped a lot. One thing that concerned me was a difficult cheek weld with the rear sight set at its lowest from the factory [probably to protect it in shipping]. That problem completely disappeared when I raised it up to about a 75 yard zero. And I could raise it more so it is not maxed in elevation by any means. I am still looking for a nice Renegade but since I am covered for now, its all yours. Nice Renegades go quickly here so you will have to stay on top of it. Good luck. SW

Hello! New to Blackpowder Muzzleloading. I want to buy either a .54 or .50 T/C Renegade R/H percussion lock rifle or a Lyman Great Plains .54 or .50 R/H percussion lock rifle.

Looking for the best bang for buck. I plan on getting a quality gun, which will last, one that I can hunt big game with and I plan on taking very good care of it.
Thanks in advance.
Either the Hawken or the Renegade will make a fine first rifle. If the rifle is in good condition inside and out you’ll have a gun you can rely upon for many years to come. There are a couple listed now, best of luck.

I wish you luck with your quest for your first muzzleloader. Just be aware that unfortunately scoundrels lerk here just like every other corner of the internet. Be very careful dealing with anyone having a ‘friend’ to email or call because they have exactly what you want. Seems to be a Texas spectator sport at times. Ask plenty of questions.

The Renagade is going to be a smaller lighter gun. I have not shot one yet but helped my brother find one for my nephew. Due to weather and life they’ve not been able to get out and shoot it yet. I like the feel of it better than the TC Hawkins.
I do own a Laymen’s GPR! Love everything about it! Off the top of my head I’d say it’s going to be close to a foot longer than the Renegade. With the GPR you’re more likely to get a round ball twist.
Both will be nice guns. A bit of a difference in size and weight. I guess the big question is, do you want something that is more historic or just a Muzzleloader.
Good luck!
Aaron

The Renagade is going to be a smaller lighter gun. I have not shot one yet but helped my brother find one for my nephew. Due to weather and life they’ve not been able to get out and shoot it yet. I like the feel of it better than the TC Hawkins.
I do own a Laymen’s GPR! Love everything about it! Off the top of my head I’d say it’s going to be close to a foot longer than the Renegade. With the GPR you’re more likely to get a round ball twist.
Both will be nice guns. A bit of a difference in size and weight. I guess the big question is, do you want something that is more historic or just a Muzzleloader.
Good luck!
Aaron
The Renegade is heavier not lighter thanks to the 1 inch across the flats barrel , I own 3and the shotgun butt along with weight allows easy recoil with conicals and heavy charges ! That TC Hawken with the painful crescent butt and lighter weight is why mine stay home or go squirrel hunting/Ed

Welcome WBM. I too am fairly new to this but I think you are on the right track. Some really helpful people here and a handful of cranks. Also a few really helpful cranks. I have been working w a relative's 50 TC Hawken which is pretty similar to the Renegade and I would prefer that to their Hawken because I like the shotgun butt. I tried for a month to purchase a couple of TC rifles on the forum, agreeing to the asking price but to no avail. It can be a bit quirky so I wish you luck. I was going to try again when the next Renegade showed up but now that I know you are looking I will desist for a spell. I ended up purchasing a brand new Traditions Hawken Woodsman for $450 at my local sporting goods store and I can't find a bad thing to say about it. I own quite a few guns and, although not perfect, it is very well made, very accurate w patched balls and conicals, and has not misfired once w #11 caps. I was a skeptical buyer bc of the low price even though the reviews were pretty good. Being able to physically examine it helped a lot. One thing that concerned me was a difficult cheek weld with the rear sight set at its lowest from the factory [probably to protect it in shipping]. That problem completely disappeared when I raised it up to about a 75 yard zero. And I could raise it more so it is not maxed in elevation by any means. I am still looking for a nice Renegade but since I am covered for now, its all yours. Nice Renegades go quickly here so you will have to stay on top of it. Good luck. SW
Thanks for your advice and comments! I appreciate you! Now that I am on the lookout I plan on staying on top of it until I find one.✌🏼

I wish you luck with your quest for your first muzzleloader. Just be aware that unfortunately scoundrels lerk here just like every other corner of the internet. Be very careful dealing with anyone having a ‘friend’ to email or call because they have exactly what you want. Seems to be a Texas spectator sport at times. Ask plenty of questions.
Thanks I will keep that in mind!

Good luck!
Aaron
I think I want something more historic and I have no problem shooting just round balls. Especially if the .54 can bring down anything I’ll ever plan on shooting! I wanna buy one and be done lol.

I think I want something more historic and I have no problem shooting just round balls. Especially if the .54 can bring down anything I’ll ever plan on shooting! I wanna buy one and be done lol.
The Lyman is the more "historic" of the lot, though not a truly historic gun. The Thompson Center Hawken is "Hawken-ish", while the Renegade is even less so with the shotgun style butt plate. Both are good guns. The Renegade is a great huntng gun, shorter than the others, and feels more like a modern hunting gun/shotgun.

Another great option, and they can be found is the Thompson Center New Englander. I have one with 3 barrels (.50, .54 and 12 gauge), though it's not for sale. I don't know that there is a better sidelock avaialbe for a hunter. They are getting more difficult to find, but pop up on here from time to time. While this also is not a historic gun, it's a great starter gun with all of the "feel" of a traditional sidelock.

If you jump into this sport, take it from me, you'll eventually move past the production guns (T/C, Lyman, etc) and will end up falling down the custom/antique gun rabbit hole. I own 2 T/C guns, and outside of buying more to flip them, I doubt I'll buy another to keep them. Once you see the beauty and art in the custom and antique guns, the production guns lose a lot of their luster :) However, and this is coming from someone who still considers himself a "beginner", the best way to develop a passion for traditional muzzleloaders is to get one and shoot it, regardless of whether it's a beat up old production gun or a handmade custom.

The Lyman is the more "historic" of the lot, though not a truly historic gun. The Thompson Center Hawken is "Hawken-ish", while the Renegade is even less so with the shotgun style butt plate. Both are good guns. The Renegade is a great huntng gun, shorter than the others, and feels more like a modern hunting gun/shotgun.

Another great option, and they can be found is the Thompson Center New Englander. I have one with 3 barrels (.50, .54 and 12 gauge), though it's not for sale. I don't know that there is a better sidelock avaialbe for a hunter. They are getting more difficult to find, but pop up on here from time to time. While this also is not a historic gun, it's a great starter gun with all of the "feel" of a traditional sidelock.

If you jump into this sport, take it from me, you'll eventually move past the production guns (T/C, Lyman, etc) and will end up falling down the custom/antique gun rabbit hole. I own 2 T/C guns, and outside of buying more to flip them, I doubt I'll buy another to keep them. Once you see the beauty and art in the custom and antique guns, the production guns lose a lot of their luster :) However, and this is coming from someone who still considers himself a "beginner", the best way to develop a passion for traditional muzzleloaders is to get one and shoot it, regardless of whether it's a beat up old production gun or a handmade custom.
Thanks a lot! A good bit to think about but that’s a great thing!

I began muzzle-loading in the 1970's with TC Hawken in .50 caliber that I bought new. Used it for many years before selling it. I added a second barrel for round ball shooting (1-66). All the deer I harvested were with the RB.
Never game me any problems.
Sorry I sold it.
Jim

Latest posts

Back