• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Working up a range load for a traditions deer hunter.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine won't shoot a PRB worth a darn, with dozens of combos tried. I have spent more money on loading components for that rifle than all the others combined. It does shoot pistol bullets wrapped in those plastic things quite well. That's been the only thing that shoots accurately, consistently and reliably. Every rifle is a thing unto itself.

I got two Tradition Deer Hunters, both in .50 caliber. 60 grains (Pyro P or Real Black 3fff) has been my standard load for decades, using a PRB or the Buffalo Ball-et, which I have a good supply of. Both those loads impact the same place in my guns, as does the T/C 270 gr. Maxi Hunter. Hornady PA Hunter conical is essentially the same thing, as the Ball-et hasn't been produced in nearly 20 years. 60 grains is good for target work, and deer size game. In that short barrel, more powder gives you very little more velocity. I know, I have shot thousands of rounds over a chronograph. 60 grains will give you 1275 fps with a 245 grain conical, and about 1350 fps with a PRB, which despite what some "experts" say, is plenty for deer. I usually get complete pass-thrus, including my longest shot on a large buck at 120 yards. Ballistic tables don't kill deer, but good sized chunks of lead at moderate velocities sure do. My son killed his first deer with the Traditions Deer Hunter at 7 years old, he is now in his 30's. Time sure is accelerating.
B, I'm loading .490 Hornaday ball with 0.015 Wonderlube patch over 70grns 2F black powder in Traditions Deethunter. I can get 3" 3 shot groups at 50yds. My eyes are older than my deer hunting passion and I just put on a peep sight. I'd like to be accurate at longer distances. Your comments on this site seem to me thoughtful and based on testing, that's why I am asking your advice. What is my next step?

B, I'm loading .490 Hornaday ball with 0.015 Wonderlube patch over 70grns 2F black powder in Traditions Deethunter. I can get 3" 3 shot groups at 50yds. My eyes are older than my deer hunting passion and I just put on a peep sight. I'd like to be accurate at longer distances. Your comments on this site seem to me thoughtful and based on testing, that's why I am asking your advice. What is my next step?
I think you are proceeding well. I too have old eyes, and with open sights can no longer get the tiny groups I used to. In reality, 3" at 50 yards is adequate for deer hunting, even though we would all like to do better. Recently, I put a peep sight on my Cabelas Hunter Hawken. Never really have cared for this rifle, hadn't shot it in decades, just blah accuracy, no style, and I have rifles I like a lot more. So, since I had nothing to lose, I put a peep sight (Lyman 57) on it for giggles. Fired three shots at 50 yards, got a cloverleaf 4 inches low and 3" left of Bulls-Eye. Clicked it up and right some random amount, next three shots went thru the same hole, literally, in the Bulls-Eye center. Made me a Big Believer in peep sights, and now I really like that rifle! Just got a nice 10 point at 65 yards with it last week, using a 60 grain 3f Swiss load, and a PRB.

Your load of 70 grains of 2f is a good load for deer, if the accuracy is acceptable. With a PRB, you are getting 1500+fps, which will smack a deer right down. More powder in that short barrel will give more recoil, muzzle blast, and less accuracy, but very little if any more fps. I shoot 60 grains of 3f, which would be the ballistic equivalent of your load, and has been accurate in every rifle I own. I stay away from conicals for the most part, and when I do use them, they are on the light side. The Hornady PA .50 Conical is a good performer in my rifles. Really, 60 grains of powder, and a PRB is a great load in all my rifles, from .45 thru .58. I prefer Swiss 3f, but Pyro P is good also, giving identical, if not slightly better velocity than Swiss. Goex is a weaker powder. If it is all you have, it will work, but you might need to use more to get similar results. Whatever you do, don't try and "Magnumize" your rifle. Moderate loads are sufficient, and typically much more accurate. I would sight in about 2" high at 50 yards, that will put you pretty much on at 75, and a few inches low at 100. That will cover 99% of your shots, and the remaining 1% you shouldn't take anyways.

Attachments

• 20231121_152004.jpg
    20231121_152004.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
That's a solid load for PA deer and bear wouldn't worry about that part of it. Accuracy though I would expect could be a little better. You'll hear every gun is different on here a lot and is very true, what might be a great load in my gun may only be ok in yours. That being said, if you think its 'you' that is behind you accuracy, would work on shooting with the peep to see if you can tighten the groups up. If that doesn't help, then I would try changing up on patch thickness, either a little tighter (thicker patch) or a little looser (thinner patch). If still doesn't seem to get you the accuracy you want, then I'd work on powder charge, start at 50grs and work up till you get you tightest pattern. The biggest key is to only change ONE thing at a time, if you keep changing multiple things at same time, harder to tell which is helping/hurting your group. My Traditions PA Pellet will cloverleaf at 50yds if I do my part right with 70grs 3f and the Hornady PA conicals. Good luck and can always ask me a question if you have one.

I think you are proceeding well. I too have old eyes, and with open sights can no longer get the tiny groups I used to. In reality, 3" at 50 yards is adequate for deer hunting, even though we would all like to do better. Recently, I put a peep sight on my Cabelas Hunter Hawken. Never really have cared for this rifle, hadn't shot it in decades, just blah accuracy, no style, and I have rifles I like a lot more. So, since I had nothing to lose, I put a peep sight (Lyman 57) on it for giggles. Fired three shots at 50 yards, got a cloverleaf 4 inches low and 3" left of Bulls-Eye. Clicked it up and right some random amount, next three shots went thru the same hole, literally, in the Bulls-Eye center. Made me a Big Believer in peep sights, and now I really like that rifle! Just got a nice 10 point at 65 yards with it last week, using a 60 grain 3f Swiss load, and a PRB.

Your load of 70 grains of 2f is a good load for deer, if the accuracy is acceptable. With a PRB, you are getting 1500+fps, which will smack a deer right down. More powder in that short barrel will give more recoil, muzzle blast, and less accuracy, but very little if any more fps. I shoot 60 grains of 3f, which would be the ballistic equivalent of your load, and has been accurate in every rifle I own. I stay away from conicals for the most part, and when I do use them, they are on the light side. The Hornady PA .50 Conical is a good performer in my rifles. Really, 60 grains of powder, and a PRB is a great load in all my rifles, from .45 thru .58. I prefer Swiss 3f, but Pyro P is good also, giving identical, if not slightly better velocity than Swiss. Goex is a weaker powder. If it is all you have, it will work, but you might need to use more to get similar results. Whatever you do, don't try and "Magnumize" your rifle. Moderate loads are sufficient, and typically much more accurate. I would sight in about 2" high at 50 yards, that will put you pretty much on at 75, and a few inches low at 100. That will cover 99% of your shots, and the remaining 1% you shouldn't take anyways.
I'm using Olde Eynsford powder, but I don't know the difference as it is all I have used. I like the feel of the 70 grn charge as the recoil is nothing. I'm going out to the range this morning. Will report. BTW that is a nice buck. Thanks for the picture. I have a button buck in the freezer from October 9, but that was with a crossbow. I have not seen his big brother since. Flintlock season here runs Dec 26 to Jan 27.

That's a solid load for PA deer and bear wouldn't worry about that part of it. Accuracy though I would expect could be a little better. You'll hear every gun is different on here a lot and is very true, what might be a great load in my gun may only be ok in yours. That being said, if you think its 'you' that is behind you accuracy, would work on shooting with the peep to see if you can tighten the groups up. If that doesn't help, then I would try changing up on patch thickness, either a little tighter (thicker patch) or a little looser (thinner patch). If still doesn't seem to get you the accuracy you want, then I'd work on powder charge, start at 50grs and work up till you get you tightest pattern. The biggest key is to only change ONE thing at a time, if you keep changing multiple things at same time, harder to tell which is helping/hurting your group. My Traditions PA Pellet will cloverleaf at 50yds if I do my part right with 70grs 3f and the Hornady PA conicals. Good luck and can always ask me a question if you have one.
I'm heading out to the range this morning. I think the 3" group is more me than the rifle. We'll see.

This morning, same load, but more focus on sight picture and trigger control. I had 2 1/2" groups at 50 and sub 2" at 75 yds. I think that any problem now is all me. Now I have to find a deer.

Back