• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Working up a range load for a traditions deer hunter.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just acquired a like new traditions deer hunter cap and ball and was wondering if anyone else owns one and what loads they are using.
Here's what I've came up with from looking at the traditions website and other sources. I'd like to work up to a good load for deer season.
490 ball
.015 patch
60gr pyrodex.
Please feel free to give me your two cents

Last edited:
Sounds like a good starting point, though I'd start at 50 gr just as a "minimum load" - it could be the most accurate, and it will do the job.

Next step is to load 'em up to evaluate loading (is it too hard to do in the field? My 54 is with a 530 ball and 015 patch, no way could I do it easily/safely in the field without a hammer...) and then shoot evaluate for accuracy (3 or 4 shot group).

Then the fun begins of fiddling with powder charge in +5 or +10 grain increments, fiddling with patch thickness, wad between patch and powder, etc. and so on. And don't forget to experiment with some Maxi-balls or Minnies or REALs or some other big patch-less hunk-o-lead.

I had a deer hunter that I passed on to a grandson. The last time I hunted with it i took a fat doe at 80 yards with a 495 ball in .018 patch over 60 grains of Scheutzen 3f.

This load is also a good target load. My grandson gets exceptional results with it.

I'm getting good groups with 70gr. Goex FFG with a .490 ball and .018" patch. It's a tight fit on the follow up shots but not terrible.

I got two Tradition Deer Hunters, both in .50 caliber. 60 grains (Pyro P or Real Black 3fff) has been my standard load for decades, using a PRB or the Buffalo Ball-et, which I have a good supply of. Both those loads impact the same place in my guns, as does the T/C 270 gr. Maxi Hunter. Hornady PA Hunter conical is essentially the same thing, as the Ball-et hasn't been produced in nearly 20 years. 60 grains is good for target work, and deer size game. In that short barrel, more powder gives you very little more velocity. I know, I have shot thousands of rounds over a chronograph. 60 grains will give you 1275 fps with a 245 grain conical, and about 1350 fps with a PRB, which despite what some "experts" say, is plenty for deer. I usually get complete pass-thrus, including my longest shot on a large buck at 120 yards. Ballistic tables don't kill deer, but good sized chunks of lead at moderate velocities sure do. My son killed his first deer with the Traditions Deer Hunter at 7 years old, he is now in his 30's. Time sure is accelerating.

I got two Tradition Deer Hunters, both in .50 caliber. 60 grains (Pyro P or Real Black 3fff) has been my standard load for decades, using a PRB or the Buffalo Ball-et, which I have a good supply of. Both those loads impact the same place in my guns, as does the T/C 270 gr. Maxi Hunter. Hornady PA Hunter conical is essentially the same thing, as the Ball-et hasn't been produced in nearly 20 years. 60 grains is good for target work, and deer size game. In that short barrel, more powder gives you very little more velocity. I know, I have shot thousands of rounds over a chronograph. 60 grains will give you 1275 fps with a 245 grain conical, and about 1350 fps with a PRB, which despite what some "experts" say, is plenty for deer. I usually get complete pass-thrus, including my longest shot on a large buck at 120 yards. Ballistic tables don't kill deer, but good sized chunks of lead at moderate velocities sure do. My son killed his first deer with the Traditions Deer Hunter at 7 years old, he is now in his 30's. Time sure is accelerating.
That's some good information I was wondering the same thing about the shorter barrel. And I completely agree with ya about time it seems like yesterday my daughter took her first big eight point.

That's some good information I was wondering the same thing about the shorter barrel. And I completely agree with ya about time it seems like yesterday my daughter took her first big eight point.

My 60 grain charges ran right along with @PastorB Eighty grains of 3f only got me just under 1500 fps.

My own Deerhunter rifle doesn't shoot the round ball very well. I've tried a number of different combinations, patches, lube, .490, .495 balls.
But it will shoot the Hornady PA conicals very well.
Those little pills are awesome in that rifle.
Been a while since I've had it out but I think I used around 80 or so grains of 3f Old Ensyford black powder.
I might try some Triple 7 2f in it one of these days.

I've got two of them. One regular and one with a 13 inch barrel. I shoot 70 grains of 2f with a thinly patched .490 ball with great results. Haven't shot at a deer with the short one yet (isn't quite finished) but that load from the regular barrel puts them down right there. Due to the thick cover where I use that rifle I never get to take a shot over 40 or 50 yards though.

By the way, my wife gifted me the regular deerhunter for Christmas back around 1997. It is 1:48 twist. Not sure if there is any difference in rifling from one that old to a newer one.

I believe they all have the same twist rate.
I think they do but wonder how much the manufacturing process has changed since mine was made. Even at the same twist the machining may be a bit smoother in the newer ones. I would imagine there isn't much difference though. Great little rifles though. Except the trigger design. Traditions could have done a little better there.

I think they do but wonder how much the manufacturing process has changed since mine was made. Even at the same twist the machining may be a bit smoother in the newer ones. I would imagine there isn't much difference though. Great little rifles though. Except the trigger design. Traditions could have done a little better there.
Ha funny you mentioned the trigger I was just thinking today how I can improve the feel of it. I seen it has an adjustment screw but it just feels like it's in a bind and awkward.

I took the lock all apart, wiped all the grime off. Then I lightly sanded the inside of the lock plate, 400 grit, then 600 grit wet/dry paper.
I did the same to the tumbler and sear. Just enough to make the parts smooth.
Put everything back together and now the trigger pull seems a bit lighter but definitely smoother. Way better than before.

I got a .50 DeerHunter as a Christmas gift about 1990 and shot/hunted with it for a couple of decades before trading it. That little rifle was that good! Mine had a wooden stock and ramrod and had a twist rate of 1-48". The square cut rifling was quite deep and it excelled with prb. Never hunted with conicals and I used only prb. Load was a .490" ball, .014" patch over 100 grains of 3F - subsequently reduced to 70 grains. 100 grains was a great load in my .50 Virginia rifle with its 42" barrel, not so reasonable for a 24" tube however. Rifle was accurate with whatever load I put in it.

I got a .50 DeerHunter as a Christmas gift about 1990 and shot/hunted with it for a couple of decades before trading it. That little rifle was that good! Mine had a wooden stock and ramrod and had a twist rate of 1-48". The square cut rifling was quite deep and it excelled with prb. Never hunted with conicals and I used only prb. Load was a .490" ball, .014" patch over 100 grains of 3F - subsequently reduced to 70 grains. 100 grains was a great load in my .50 Virginia rifle with its 42" barrel, not so reasonable for a 24" tube however. Rifle was accurate with whatever load I put in it.
Thanks for the input. Hopefully I can get out this weekend to poke some holes in paper so I can share my results. I just got a TC hawken 50 also I'd like to compare loads to.

Back