• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wool Blanket Source?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve read many historical accounts of wool blankets being used as wadding in smoothbores. I’ve also read some trying it with good results in modern times.

I’d love to try it, but am curious if anyone knows where to find 100% wool blankets for a good price?

Thanks!

Some of us punch out wool felt dics from the product sold by www.durofelt.com, available in various thicknesses. Or, try any consignment or thrift shop or Salvation Army ear you foe old used blankets. 100% wool ones are tough to locate nowadays ...

DuroFelt products are 1005 wool! See their wadding recommendation = http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html

Smokey, hit up some local estate sales to look for wool blankets. I passed on two this weekend because I’ve got more than I know what to do with. If you buy an unmarked one, burn a small pile of fiber. If it turns to ash it is wool. Man made fiber will tend to melt into hard balls. I rarely pay more than $10-$15 for a nice one. The neat thing is you can make a bunch of things from them and use the scraps for wads.

Some of the pure wool blankets even if you bought them at a bargain price can be worth big money, I would be careful cutting up just any wool blanket until I was sure of what I had.

The HBC, Whitney’s etc. get good care. The run of the mill ones it depends on condition. No label, just a contemporary bed blanket may become a project.

I've bought at yard salees also with good results. Wool blankets can be washed successfully in an auto washer using cold water. I especially liked Sport Wash which I bought at Walmart. At one time I considered selling wool blankets. There are several European supplies who sell at surprisingly low prices when you buy in quantity.

I’ve read many historical accounts of wool blankets being used as wadding in smoothbores. I’ve also read some trying it with good results in modern times.

I’d love to try it, but am curious if anyone knows where to find 100% wool blankets for a good price?

Thanks!
If you just want some 100% wool to try out, I've got some wool blanket scrap from capotes I can send you if you'll email me with your address.

I love a good wool blanket for the cold weather nothing beats it for warmth. I got one I bought from LL Bean in 1971 and it is still in great shape. I would not be cutting up a wool blanket for use as wadding or anything else. Go buy some wool material if you want to try it for wadding.

Latest posts

Back