• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wooden camp table

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandhiler

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'd like to build a fairly portable camp table and chair that were correct around 1800. I've seen the folding oak chairs and tables like those in Panther or Townsend. Are these period correct for 1800's events? If they aren't could you direct me to a source for correct information?

Thanks for the help and advice.

Sandhiler

A lot of the folding chairs and tables were copied from officer's equipment used in the Rev War. George Washington had a folding canopy bed. They did exist.

Many Klatch

sandhiler said:
I'd like to build a fairly portable camp table and chair that were correct around 1800. I've seen the folding oak chairs and tables like those in Panther or Townsend. Are these period correct for 1800's events? If they aren't could you direct me to a source for correct information?

Sandhiler
Here's a couple of links to a simple folding table and stool that may be what you're looking for: http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/foldingtable.html http://www.greenvillewoodworkers.com/plans.htm

Here's a larger table that could be scaled down: http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/workshop/4209514.html

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a small line drawing of a callapsible table in one of the issuses the "Backwoodsman Magazine". Wish I could remember which one it was in my stash of them. The sides life up and the legs fold down. there is a place for storage of your dinnerware between the two flaps.

Panther Primitives makes a 22"x28"x 26" tall folding table that ia absolutely excellent! I have two of them and yes, they are period correct! Anything you see in Panthers catologue is good to go at any Buckskinners event. I would also like to mention that Panther Primitives was most generous with their gift doations to the 2009 NEPR. I would highly recommend them. They run a great business!

sandhiler said:
Sandhiler

Hey, I really feel awesome when it comes to folding chair and table since these are really useful for the people who used to stay in much smaller house like me that to I had a home and office together so the actual value of these can only be described by people like me,, I do have a couple of chairs and tables in my office furniture clearwater and it really means a lot to me,, just have a look,, here

kagarrampton said:
Hey, I really feel awesome when it comes to folding chair and table since these are really useful for the people who used to stay in much smaller house like me that to I had a home and office together so the actual value of these can only be described by people like me,, I do have a couple of chairs and tables in my office furniture clearwater and it really means a lot to me,, just have a look,, here

kagarrampton, I really like the design of your "folding" office chairs. Next time I set up an office at a rondyvoo, I'll surely like to use one of these. How small of a bundle do these fold into? :/

kagarrampton said:
sandhiler said:
Sandhiler

I have this sudden desire to fry up some spam..........

Here are some table designs that might fit your need.

I find most of the folding tables sold today to be way to heavy because of the use of so much wood for the folding mechanism.

I am currently using legs like these with a simple table top that includes a short apron to set on top of them. Light weight simple and easy to pack.

Loyalist Dave said:
So you lay someting across the straps to complete the table? What do they look like when ready to go?

LD
The top is laid across the stretchers rather than the straps (90 degrees to the straps). The straps function to keep the legs from opening too far.

Here is what the tables look like when in use.

Black Hand is correct. Their only function is to make it easier to set up the table by holding the legs in the proper position for use.

I see, the table top is "boxed" and the leg assembly fits inside. Much more stable than what I had pictured.

Personally, I like the version with the folding legs (1 piece to transport). I have one painted in dark green milk paint with mustard yellow accents that a friend made for me.

I'm thinking this would be most appropriate for a table at a rondy or a military encampment.

52550_barreltable_lg.gif

Latest posts

Back