• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody know where the real stiff steel wire used for nipple picks can be acquired? Has to be stiff, not wound, and about .022 in diameter. Can't find it here in Yuma or the computer.

Music wire - you can buy it at the hardware store. That said, I would NOT use music wire as it is harder than barrel/touch hole liner steel and can/will cause undue wear...

I use a piece of mild steel wire - the large coil I purchased at the hardware store will make a lifetime supply. Others use paperclips, safety pins, brass or copper wire - none are hard enough to cause damage.

Music wire/Piano wire - you can buy it at the hardware store or Hobby shops that service RC Airplanes/Cars.
That said I use music wire picks all the time,, nipples are cheap and need replacement when they wear. Having a proper fitting wire to clear a plugged nipple at hand during a 50-60 shot range session is priceless.
Gas cutting causes the most damage to nipples.
If your hunting X, 200-300 shots and your nipple is going to need replacing when you begin to notice hammer blow back or sooner.
If your hunting common game,, then according to many on this forum your nipple should last forever.

Black Hand said:
I use a piece of mild steel wire - the large coil I purchased at the hardware store will make a lifetime supply.
Is your "mild steel wire" .020,.024,.028,.032,,?
How can one wire fit all?
Does hammer and anvil make the universal wire fit each specific nipple/flash hole?
Sand paper, file?
Ore have you been in the game so long that you have learned to purchase the same size nipple hole/flash hole for all your guns?
How does one size spool of wire work for all?
(Fence wire?)
Let's stick with conversations of wire,, not found feathers for flash holes, :wink:

It is July 4th of course. Rather than throw the sparkler wires away, save em, cut down, you got a thin nipple pick for free. Very thin, reliable wire.

necchi said:
Black Hand said:
I use a piece of mild steel wire - the large coil I purchased at the hardware store will make a lifetime supply.
Is your "mild steel wire" .020,.024,.028,.032,,?
How can one wire fit all?
Does hammer and anvil make the universal wire fit each specific nipple/flash hole?
Sand paper, file?
Ore have you been in the game so long that you have learned to purchase the same size nipple hole/flash hole for all your guns?
How does one size spool of wire work for all?
(Fence wire?)
Let's stick with conversations of wire,, not found feathers for flash holes, :wink:
The wire is about 1mm in diameter and I pointed the tip for about the last 1/2-3/4", which should allow you to clean pretty much any nipple orifice. As to the rest, I'm not certain what you are going on about since none of it is of any real significance...

Ultimate, you missed my entire point which was use soft wire so you don't damage your gun.

Oh I got the point.
What I don't understand is your point about "use soft wire so you don't damage your gun" has to do with a proper fitting wire?
So you use 1mm soft wire and you say you;
I pointed the tip
How did you do that?
As far as I know,, I can't walk into my local hardware store and ask the man for a spool of 1mm thick "mild steel wire",, without the guy being clueless.
So I get it,, "soft wire good", "hard wire bad".

I simply expressed to the OP that music/piano wire is what he was searching for and that it works without a problem.

necchi said:
Oh I got the point.
What I don't understand is your point about "use soft wire so you don't damage your gun" has to do with a proper fitting wire?
So you use 1mm soft wire and you say you;
I pointed the tip
How did you do that?
As far as I know,, I can't walk into my local hardware store and ask the man for a spool of 1mm thick "mild steel wire",, without the guy being clueless.
So I get it,, "soft wire good", "hard wire bad".

I simply expressed to the OP that music/piano wire is what he was searching for and that it works without a problem.
I will use small words, so the one person who hasn't already figured this out can understand:
1 roll rebar tie wire
1 file
1 set cutters

Cut piece of wire, about 3" in length
File tip to shape
Poke nipple
My apologies for the 2-syllable words

I hope this was clear enough.... :slap:

I had a measure or two with a pick that screwed out. Used to work great. Last time I tried the wire had swollen and wouldn't fit (or the steel nipple contracted) :idunno:

:haha: :wink:
Black Hand said:
1 roll rebar tie wire
Now for the first time we know what your using.
Thank You.
I do have to use a bit of sand paper to de-burr the Dremel cut edge of the Music wire I use. It's a good idea to lend a bit of a bevel so port entry is easy.
But I prefer the rigidity of the music wire and the exact size.
It's diametrically the same size as the bit's I can use to attach it to any kind of "handle" I choose for the pick like pearl, horn tips, wood, brass rod, etc,,,,
And I don't have to worry about it bending.
Thank's for sharing.

I use large paper clips, or better yet, the small stainless steel skewers I have found at the grocery store from time to time.
The skewers come several to a package, are cheap, stiff, and have a 1/4" or little larger closed loop on one end and are about 4" long, and .045" to .050" in diameter
I like to put a slight crook on the end you poke in the vent to facilitate scraping aroung the face of the breech plug a bit as required sometimes after firing a shot. This is easy to do on my guns since the vent liners are coned on the inside which allows some maneuverability with the tip of the wire.
These skewers work so we it's like they were made for flintlocks.

I use a clothes hanger heated red and allowed to cool so it is soft. Pound the "handle" end square and twist it when red and it looks "forged".

sy6eFVBl.jpg

I think some people are talking about wire to pick the nipple on percussion guns while other people are talking about wire to pick the vent hole on a flintlock.

Since the hole in the bottom of a nipple is much smaller than a vent hole, I don't see using the same size wire or even the same type of wire for both.

Since you asked about wire for nipples, I will offer that you try real pipe cleaners, not the decorative ones that you can buy at the big box stores in the craft section.

The pipe clean works great for cleaning the nipple, it will not be small enough for going through the flash hole. After using the pipe cleaner and a little water, I just have to blow in the tube to make sure it is clear.

Fleener

Back