• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

winter cleaning solution

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walks with fire

54 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the best thing to use for swabbing out the bore between shots in freezing winter hunting weather? I know some don't see the need but I like to swab before shots.

i have a plastic jar of T/C's no 13 cleaning pads 2.5"....the jar fits nice in my bag and is bout 2 3/4" round and bout the same size tall...........bob

If the temp is below freezing, make sure whatever you use will not freeze up. Nothing worse than getting your ramrod frozen into the barrel, will ruin your whole day for you.

when it starts to get cold up here i start using windshield washer anti freeze as a field bore cleaner. i actually use it in the a bit summer too on long range sessions. it evaporates so it's no good as a patch lube.
i use lehigh for that when it starts to get around -10 to -20. any colder than that and i really need inspiration to get me out of the house.

I think I'd just go with straight Ballistol. I used it as a patch lube anyway and since it's for between shots cleaning, there's no rush to get the salts out so it doesn't need the water added to it. I'm not in a severe winter climate like that though.

jaguarxk120 said:
What about the blue water sold at the auto parts store's? TF

windshield cleaner or ethylene glycol...which blue stuff are you refering?

Brett

For swabbing between, I hear tell of a lot of folks using it with good results.

personally, I use Stumpy's moose juice, recipe on this forum, does me well year around.
Has enough alcohol to evap, has oils in it.
It is a pretty good all around concoction for patch lube and between shot wiping.

Brett

Latest posts

Back