• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wind and Blackpowder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold Grizzly

40 Cal
Reaction score
Do the Flintlock Rifles have a "shield'' of some kind around the primer pan to keep the wind from blowing the blackpowder out or a rain storm from blowing the blackpowder out ? :dunno:

Well, certainly the frizzen covers and slightly waterproofs the pan. Builders generally take great pains for a tight, smooth mating of the frizzen to the pan.
Many hunters use a "stall" over the frizzen in inclement weather. Otherwise it might be a good idea to carry the rifle with the lock portion protected by tucking it into your underarm.

Well, certainly the frizzen covers and slightly waterproofs the pan. Builders generally take great pains for a tight, smooth mating of the frizzen to the pan.
Many hunters use a "stall" over the frizzen in inclement weather. Otherwise it might be a good idea to carry the rifle with the lock portion protected by tucking it into your underarm.
Yes, good idea.

If you have observed a shield affixed to a flintlock on the outboard area of the pan, it is to prevent the hot jet of gas and embers ejected from the flash hole during the firing even from singeing the fellow standing next to you.
The Olde Timers had it figured out.

Others have already given you your answer. When I hunted with mine in inclement weather I carried the rifle with my bare hand over the lock area. I did this because I really loved having the skin on my hand chapped raw by the rain and cold. o_O Some have said my Ma didn't raise no bright child.............

In real windy weather, or rain, I use a tube of Chapstick to rub along the seem of the pan and frizzen to keep moisture out and to prevent an errant breeze from blowing out the prime.
I was gonna add something to this effect. Some kind of sealant - chapstick, beeswax, etc. - can keep out most snow, mist, drizzle, etc. If it's raining any harder than that, I'm hunting the butcher section at Safeway.

Some use a beeswax dam to prevent rain from running down the barrel into the pan and some pans are designed with a waterproof feature that isolates them from this problem. At least one of my rifles has one of these locks.

Many years ago, our group had an old 56 passenger bus we would take to western nationals. On one trip back home while crossing a big stretch of desert, one of the guys experimented with a flintlock in the wind. We were doing 60 mph. He stuck the rifle out the window, and the flintlock fired every time.

take an old welding glove. Cut it into a pattern with tendrils that can be tied beneath so you can secure it but remove it easily. Take the glove leather and soak it in neatsfoot oil. wring it out and set it in paper towels to soak up the excess. A sort of tent over the works that can be easily removed when the shot comes. water an snow will not reach the works beneath...always worked for me...

Many years ago, our group had an old 56 passenger bus we would take to western nationals. On one trip back home while crossing a big stretch of desert, one of the guys experimented with a flintlock in the wind. We were doing 60 mph. He stuck the rifle out the window, and the flintlock fired every time.
An old-school drive-by. 🤣

Latest posts

Back