• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Schuetzen and Swiss which one pan and barrel 50cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asahi1234

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am very new at blackpowder. I am saving up for a flintlock rifle 50cal. I need help on f3g or 4fg for pan and f3g or 4fg for barrel? I just want to make sure I am order the correct powder for pan and barrel for patch and ball. Some humidity but not to often. So any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I

Like @Phil Coffins said, there's no pat answer. A .50 cal will perform well with either a 2F or 3F load. One or the other may perform better in your particular rifle. I prefer 4F for prime, but that's mainly because I have plenty of 4F. If you hunt in damp, humid conditions or you just don't have any 4F, then using the 2F or 3F that you load with will do fine. Years ago the rule of thumb was to use 3F for .50 or smaller and use 2F for .50 and larger. Now a days not so much. I personally use a 3F load in my .54 and sometimes in my .62.

I am very new at blackpowder. I am saving up for a flintlock rifle 50cal. I need help on f3g or 4fg for pan and f3g or 4fg for barrel? I just want to make sure I am order the correct powder for pan and barrel for patch and ball. Some humidity but not to often. So any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I
A can of 3F will get you shooting and work very well in both the pan and barrel. Plenty folks here do exactly that by choice.

To save money 3F will work just fine in pan and barrel and produces less/smaller fouling than 2F. I started with 2F in my 50's, now I run 3F in everything. Schuetzen is just fine for every day shooting and hunting, Swiss is worth the extra money if you want the very best and you are shooting in comp.

Flintlocks are amazing. No fast follow-on shots, but lots of fun, whether hunting, plinking, or target shooting.

There are a lot of tips, tricks, and little things one should learn along the way. Are you a member of a club or range where there are other flintlock shooters?

Of course you can ask questions here, and read through the older threads, but for a proper introduction, you'll benefit from going through the whole process from beginning to the end.

There are a number of decent books available for little cost. Sam Fadala wrote numerous books on muzzleloading geared toward those new to the hobby/sport. I think his last book was published in 2006. You can probably pick up one from eBay or used from Amazon for just a few dollars. The advantage is many of his books take the reader from knowing nothing to safely enjoying muzzleloaders, from A to Z. When I first started in 1990, I relied heavily on his books. They are well organized, and I could skip over parts not relevant to me at the time, but go back later when blackpowder cartridges became important to me.

If you prefer videos, there are a number of blackpowder and muzzleloading channels on Rumble, Odysee, and a few survive on YouTube. Ethan @ILoveMuzzleloading produces a number of videos geared toward those just entering the hobby. Another favorite of mine is Mike Beliveau @duelist1954 -- he has some fascinating build videos, history videos, and he also has some videos where he goes through everything in preparing a gun, loading, shooting, cleaning, and routine maintenance.

A word of caution about some videos though: not all content creators are equally qualified, knowledgeable, or giving good advice. It's free content and some of it is worth what you pay for it.

Depending on your budget and aims, you might find this forum offers some very good deals. To my regret, I spent more on factory production rifle in 2022, which is okay, only to have recently seen several much nicer rifles pass through the for sale section here for less money. Live and learn.

I still have a pound and a half of 4f GOEX, In early 2023 at an event I forgot to refill my priming horn for the woods walk so I continued through the woods priming with 3f GOEX because that's what I use as part of my load, my rifle didn't skip a beat, it worked great, so for the rest of 2023 I have been strictly 3fing it.

Flintlocks are amazing. No fast follow-on shots, but lots of fun, whether hunting, plinking, or target shooting.

There are a lot of tips, tricks, and little things one should learn along the way. Are you a member of a club or range where there are other flintlock shooters?

Of course you can ask questions here, and read through the older threads, but for a proper introduction, you'll benefit from going through the whole process from beginning to the end.

There are a number of decent books available for little cost. Sam Fadala wrote numerous books on muzzleloading geared toward those new to the hobby/sport. I think his last book was published in 2006. You can probably pick up one from eBay or used from Amazon for just a few dollars. The advantage is many of his books take the reader from knowing nothing to safely enjoying muzzleloaders, from A to Z. When I first started in 1990, I relied heavily on his books. They are well organized, and I could skip over parts not relevant to me at the time, but go back later when blackpowder cartridges became important to me.

If you prefer videos, there are a number of blackpowder and muzzleloading channels on Rumble, Odysee, and a few survive on YouTube. Ethan @ILoveMuzzleloading produces a number of videos geared toward those just entering the hobby. Another favorite of mine is Mike Beliveau @duelist1954 -- he has some fascinating build videos, history videos, and he also has some videos where he goes through everything in preparing a gun, loading, shooting, cleaning, and routine maintenance.

A word of caution about some videos though: not all content creators are equally qualified, knowledgeable, or giving good advice. It's free content and some of it is worth what you pay for it.

Depending on your budget and aims, you might find this forum offers some very good deals. To my regret, I spent more on factory production rifle in 2022, which is okay, only to have recently seen several much nicer rifles pass through the for sale section here for less money. Live and learn.

I prime with what I'm pouring down the barrel, only need to carry one horn.
What is opions on using Null B for pan and Schuetzen or Swiss for the barrel? Also what patches I think I would prefer patches all ready cutout? I am learning allot. Thanks for the advice.

What is opions on using Null B for pan and Schuetzen or Swiss for the barrel? Also what patches I think I would prefer patches all ready cutout? I am learning allot. Thanks for the advice.
Never used Null B, but I bought some recently and will try it in a few weeks.
I used pillow ticking from the fabric store, wash it to remove the sizing/starch, and then pre-cut into squares. A few yards lasts for a really long time, even on 54 cal.

Not a member yet. The next club meeting is in the middle of March. I will join then I don't know anyone my area but I will start looking soon.

Latest posts

Back