• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wind and .600

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pmringer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience to share regarding the effect of cross wind on a .600 PRB? I just got back from the range. Fired 10 shots from my smoothie of .600 PRB with 0.012 spit lubed dry patch over 70 grains of 3F. Hit dead center twice and everything else was left of center just off the target. Wind was blowing from right to left at 10-15 mph with occasional gust. Range was 100 yards off of a front sandbag. Seems the shots were dead on vertically but am wondering if the left impact was from the wind. I know I didn't flinch because I generally pull right if I do.

According to my roundball trajectory calculator, a 15 mph crosswind blowing directly across the field of fire would deflect your .600 diameter roundball about 12 1/2 inches at 100 yards with that load.

Well that would make sense then given my estimate of the wind speed and size of the target. Probably closer to 10 mph. Makes me feel better about my shooting today! It hit 8 to 12 inches left of point of aim.

And a 100 yard shot with that load is pushing things a bit. That's like the bare minimum load for a 20 gauge (well at least in modern loads it is) ...That’s only 2½ drams.

In the most recent issue of Muzzleloader the author of an article on smoothbores gets his best accuracy at 50 yards with 110 grains of 2Fg...4 drams.

LD

Hate the wind! I do try and shoot between gusts of wind, waiting for it to calm before touching off my shot...but this isn't possible if time is limited and at a public range. I have the luxury of a private range and can wait the wind out. Thats not bad shooting for a windy day with a smoothbore though!

Kodiak13 said:
Zonie, does that there calculator distinguish any difference between a rifled/smoothbore shooting a PRB at say 50yds versus 100 yards?
No. It has no way to know if the ball is spinning because of rifling or it is a "knuckle ball" thrown by a smoothbore.

It assumes the ball will fly straight unless some outside force like wind or gravity is acting on it.

It then calculates the trajectory due to gravity and the drift due to wind.

I have been concerned the load is a bit light. I read that an 80 grain charge of 3f with over powder card, cushion wad, and .017 ticking patched ball is dead on to 75 yards.

Anyone use cards or wads for PRB? I shoot and prime with 3f. Has worked well. Any suggestions of charges to try? I am going to shoot all summer so I can confidently take a 75 yard shot come deer season.

Anyone use cards or wads for PRB?

Lot of previous threads on loading smoothies. Almost everything imaginable and unimagniable :shocked2: has been tried. So: Yes.
Either way, that is remarkable shooting for a smoothie at 100 yards. :hatsoff: Apparently nobody told you it can't be done with a smooth bore. :wink:
As for the charge, I'm a light charge proponent. If 70 gr. works for you, that's the way to go.

Believe me, I am surprised by this piece every time I shoot it! The search function is not great but I will see what I can find. My goal is to consistently hit clay birds at 75 yards. Ambitious, but doable.

I watched the top smoothie shooters at the Nationals. They shoot a 54 cal. with 70 grains of 3f and a wad under an extremely tight patch and ball started with a mallet.

Every gun is unique.

Latest posts

Back