• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Using Musket Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotag84

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Has anyone used Four Wing Musket Caps on a modern cap n ball revolver or Traditions percussion rifle? I know I have used #11 caps on my revolver by giving them a pinch and they fit fine. Considering the supply issue with #10-11 caps if this would be an option??

The size difference is enormous, it would not fit.
percussion_caps_600x (1).jpg

OK. I see that now. Always wondered how back in the day they could manage those caps so easily.
Thanks!!

Hello, I live in Spain, I ask myself the same question. In Europe there is no longer any gun shop that has No. 11 primers, either RWS, German, or CCI, American. But they still have 4 wing caps. The musket ones. My question is, would it be possible to adapt these primers to the normal nipples of a Hawken, which are obviously smaller than those of a minié musket? Greetings from Spain.

@rotag84
@Hermanoshawken

Remove the nipple, determine the thread size and count, and do an internet search to see if a musket nipple is available in the size you have. There are musket conversion nipples readily available through several suppliers, but you need to know your size first. Then you can utilizie all the musket caps you can get your hands on!

Hello, I live in Spain, I ask myself the same question. In Europe there is no longer any gun shop that has No. 11 primers, either RWS, German, or CCI, American. But they still have 4 wing caps. The musket ones. My question is, would it be possible to adapt these primers to the normal nipples of a Hawken, which are obviously smaller than those of a minié musket? Greetings from Spain.
'morning,

Definitely check Track of the Wolf (Nipples - Track of the Wolf), I've picked up replacement cones that take musket caps for several of my Hawken and other civilian rifles. Not sure what shipping would be to Spain, but given how light/small a cone is, I wouldn't think it would be all that expensive.

Mike

Hello. In the Youtube video of this American citizen, or maybe Canadian, he looks like a large four-winged caps on normal nipples. Also in a Kentucky rifle from Ardesa, one of those manufactured here in Spain. It is a good idea to shoot at the shooting range, because by not moving the cap does not fall out of the nipple. Best regards.

Back