• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WHY SHOOT REPRO GUNS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matching your example using the Buffalo as they too made a come back. It was the near extinction that stimulated saving the game.
I still take just one deer a year. Now I don’t have a place to store more then on except as jerky. But it wasn’t very long ago one deer was the limit-and I skunked out several years.

This is a muzzleloading site. The time period for the guns we discuss ends in 1866 and we do not discuss guns that use self contained cartridges here.

Sorry, Zonie.

1607887640161.png

Other than buffalo where did you get the idea we in the US are hunting species to extinction?
Well I am glad to hear that certain species are making a come back But with no rearing and keeper and the control of vermin it will be a up hill battle the days of what you call the market gunners did a lot of damage to most areas which was only a few decades ago so what has been done to build up stocks .When you see shooters go to the so called game farms and what has been said in these forms of birds released on the morning of the appointed day of the shoot ,and also the high pheasant released from a high tower with a number of guns circling the base of the tower, these are not sporting birds.
Feltwad

Well I am glad to hear that certain species are making a come back But with no rearing and keeper and the control of vermin it will be a up hill battle the days of what you call the market gunners did a lot of damage to most areas which was only a few decades ago so what has been done to build up stocks .When you see shooters go to the so called game farms and what has been said in these forms of birds released on the morning of the appointed day of the shoot ,and also the high pheasant released from a high tower with a number of guns circling the base of the tower, these are not sporting birds.
Feltwad
A few decades? Try a century ago.......... As for the game farms everyone's entitled to their opinions.......... And who says we don't have our version of what you call rearing and keeper? As my mom used to say: "You've been poorly informed by a very poor informant."

A few decades? Try a century ago.......... As for the game farms everyone's entitled to their opinions.......... And who says we don't have our version of what you call rearing and keeper? As my mom used to say: "You've been poorly informed by a very poor informant."
Not poorly informed just quoting what has been said .
Feltwad

Not poorly informed just quoting what has been said .
Feltwad
Like my mom said.........
We have multiple conservation laws, game laws, game wardens, game rearing, population and other game studies, etc, etc, etc. both at the State and Federal levels. In some areas the older game laws were so strict that deer are now over producing leading to over population which results in starvation, disease and vehicle accidents. The "don't shoot Bambi" crowd want to use population control methods that have already been proven not to work. Many localities allow for more tags or less depending on the game population density to help keep the game healthy.
FYI, I'm not a hunter, never have been, never needed or wanted to, I kill paper targets, pop bottles, etc.

Like my mom said.........
We have multiple conservation laws, game laws, game wardens, game rearing, population and other game studies, etc, etc, etc. both at the State and Federal levels. In some areas the older game laws were so strict that deer are now over producing leading to over population which results in starvation, disease and vehicle accidents. The "don't shoot Bambi" crowd want to use population control methods that have already been proven not to work. Many localities allow for more tags or less depending on the game population density to help keep the game healthy.
FYI, I'm not a hunter, never have been, never needed or wanted to, I kill paper targets, pop bottles, etc.
The biggest threat to wildlife today in this country is urbanization, loss of habitat. Take Fairfax County, Virginia (where I used to live), in 1970 the population was 455,000, in 2020 it's 1,159,000............

Feltwad: A great deal of the wildlife in the USA lives, and is hunted, on National Forest land.
The area of the National Forests in the USA is greater than 394,270 square miles. That area is over 5.5 times larger than the area of the entire country of England (50,346 square miles).

There is no practical way to have "game keepers" responsible for replenishing the game that is taken in our National Forests.
Instead, we have Game and Fish departments who manage the amount of game and fish taken and do this based on the animal population of the game being hunted in zones in the area.
This is working and there are no species being wiped out by hunters today.

Last edited:
Feltwad: A great deal of the wildlife in the USA lives, and is hunted, on National Forest land.
The area of the National Forests in the USA is greater than 394,270 square miles. That area is over 5.5 times larger than the area of the entire country of England (50,346 square miles).

There is no practical way to have "game keepers" responsible for replenishing the game that is taken in our National Forests.
Here's an overlay of GB in the US.

uk_usa_central_extract.png

When I was a kid growing up here in rural western Maryland in the 60's seeing deer tracks was akin to seeing elephant tracks, and the only Wild Turkey was in a bottle. Now the deer are a nuisance, I've had a Bald Eagle roost overnight in my front yard, I've seen a beaver in Beaver Creek and the turkeys were raising Cain down in the woods today. A lot has gotten better in the last half century. On the down side quail and pheasants are gone due mostly to no-till farming and other agricultural practices. Honeysuckle covered fencerows, plowed fields and less efficient harvesting provided more shelter and food for game birds back then. I live on Elk Ridge Mountain and sometimes wonder how long ago the last Elk was here.

Other than buffalo where did you get the idea we in the US are hunting species to extinction?
Buffalo hunts are advertised almost everywhere in Texas. Not cheap, but plenty of Buffs are available.
The original eradication of the buffalo herds, hundreds of thousands killed and left rotting in the sun, were targeted not at the buffalos, but at another native species - the American Indian.....

Last edited:
Buffalo hunts are advertised almost everywhere in Texas. Not cheap, but plenty of Buffs are available.
The original eradication of the buffalo herds, hundreds of thousands killed and left rotting in the sun, were targeted not at the buffalos, but at another native species - the American Indian.....
Bad choice of wordage, I should have said were hunting to extinction not are hunting to extinction. Today there are roughly 31,000 out of what was once estimated to be 60 million in the late 18th century.

Bad choice of wordage, I should have said were hunting to extinction not are hunting to extinction. Today there are roughly 31,000 out of what was once estimated to be 60 million in the late 18th century.
Extinction is the termination of a kind of organism or of a group of kinds (taxon), usually a species. The moment of extinction is generally considered to be the death of the last individual of the species, although the capacity to breed and recover may have been lost before this point.

183,780: Number of bison in the United States residing on private ranches and farms according to the 2017 USDA census.
1,775: Number of private U.S. ranches and farms raising bison according to the 2017 USDA census.
119,314: Canadian private-bison herd size according to 2016 Canadian Census of Ag.
9,855: Approximate number of bison in US federal herds (DOI 2014)
9,008: Bison in State and other Public herds (USFWS 2011)
20,000: Estimated bison on tribal lands
362,406: Estimated herd size in North America today.

you are still off on your numbers..and if you notice most of these numbers are old 2014 was 6 years ago, thats a lot of added bison at just 1 per year for each cow. Wyoming now has a stable WILD herd you can hunt (with tag) and most ranches that raise them also offer hunts.

Extinction is the termination of a kind of organism or of a group of kinds (taxon), usually a species. The moment of extinction is generally considered to be the death of the last individual of the species, although the capacity to breed and recover may have been lost before this point.

183,780: Number of bison in the United States residing on private ranches and farms according to the 2017 USDA census.
1,775: Number of private U.S. ranches and farms raising bison according to the 2017 USDA census.
119,314: Canadian private-bison herd size according to 2016 Canadian Census of Ag.
9,855: Approximate number of bison in US federal herds (DOI 2014)
9,008: Bison in State and other Public herds (USFWS 2011)
20,000: Estimated bison on tribal lands
362,406: Estimated herd size in North America today.

you are still off on your numbers..and if you notice most of these numbers are old 2014 was 6 years ago, thats a lot of added bison at just 1 per year for each cow. Wyoming now has a stable WILD herd you can hunt (with tag) and most ranches that raise them also offer hunts.
I know what extinction means that's why I changed from are to were, past tense as in they were being hunted to extinction not that they actually were made extinct so in the long run the attempt to hunt them to extinction was ultimately stopped. And it was a concerted attempt by our government to hunt them to extinction so as to remove the plains tribes source of food and material hence their independence and drive them on to reservations.
Yes my numbers were obviously older but they're the numbers my search brought up so that's what I went with, thank you for updating them.

When the government encourages market hunting as a way to control native people it normally continues until the free ranging natives become dependent upon that government for support or they become extinct. At the time the government believed that it was the best way to get control of the vast area west of the Mississippi.

When the government encourages market hunting as a way to control native people it normally continues until the free ranging natives become dependent upon that government for support or they become extinct. At the time the government believed that it was the best way to get control of the vast area west of the Mississippi.
Yeah, see my last post.

The biggest threat to wildlife today in this country is urbanization, loss of habitat. Take Fairfax County, Virginia (where I used to live), in 1970 the population was 455,000, in 2020 it's 1,159,000............
Urbanization doesn’t seem to hurt wild life. Game animal seem to take advantage of the lake of hunting in urban areas.
near me is the tourist town of Eureka Springs Arkansas, the area is overrun with deer. Just a few miles away from me is Wilson creek battlefield it’s simi rural around it, but I can’t walk out there with out seeing deer and Turkey. Squirrels love all our parks.
Deer populations have increased greatly just over the last twenty years. There were more Whitetail killed in Missouri this fall then were alive in the country in 1920. In a time our population has more then doubled.... almost tripled.

Here's an overlay of GB in the US.

uk_usa_central_extract.png
Well the Uk looks very small compared on your map but for its size it produces more game than most although we do not have buffalo . Elk it is the red grouse , pheasant , partridge with keeper shoots managed that brings the foreign guns to shoot Americans included
Feltwad

Latest posts

Back