• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lengthening forcing cone to reduce cylinder gap, in revolver with integral barrel.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for your valuable thoughts on this.
With it being so rough and abused, I don't think collector value is there, but its the only one I have and would like it to work with a charge that made it practical for varmints here on the farm.
The second hand barrel turned down sounds possible, but chucking it up in a lathe sounds like a task!

Making a cylinder to me sounds well beyond even figuring how!, but of course some folks are well versed in this proceedure.

Need to slug the barrel if I were to think of a liner, and thanks for the info on how I may be confused on Track's site, Jim and Rob!

Will keep you posted!

Rich.
Boring it out on a lathe would be quite easy with a milling attachment like I have on mine as the barrel profile is octagon.
The set up is between two centers (head stock-tail stock) to align and the milling attachment on the lathe table clamps it for through boring with a piloted drill.
Building a new cylinder from scratch would be a daunting task for any machinist as a host of special tooling (jigs) would need to be made.
The main thing is if there is enough meat in the original barrel after boring out to contain a liner thick enough for the pressure encountered. I wouldn't want a liner of 4140 under .060 wall thickness for pistol pressure.
Actually your liner project looks very doable and if executed well would hardly be noticeable.

Pukka - I think Track of the Wolf means a minimum order of 8 inches, not 8 liners. It's sold by the inch, minimum of 8. It's $8 per inch so the liner would cost you around $64.
Hopefully the bore diameter would be the same as your cylinder diameter or slightly smaller. If the twist rate was the same that would be really great, but that probably won't happen. As M. De Land says, this would be an ideal fix.
As to the collector value, there are many opinions on that. Mine is that doing a good repair isn't spoiling anything, and that the original people who made it would agree. They would be proud that it's still around and that someone still cares about it.
Getting the barrel hole truly straight is the key, it would be best if it could be done on a milling machine. I guess it could be done on a lathe, but the set-up would be sort of difficult, because the entire frame would have to be rotating.
Yeah, I think that is correct but as I've not bought any pistol liners from them that would need to be verified. I do know that a liner of 30 inches cost twice as much as one of 26 inches.

Latest posts

Back