• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why Patch -Boxes &

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoy shooting Eastern mountain rifles. I've already built a large assortment of the classic Pa. rifles and Jagers , etc. . Just don't feel like putting the effort of studying the design , carving art , etc. Older I get at age 77 , the more backwoods gunsmith rifles appeal to me. My favorite .40 cal. Cheat River Preston Co. , W.Va. rifle , is made with naturally rusty iron parts , that survived a shed fire. The stock is walnut scavenged from a friends scrap logs , after he finished cutting timber along the Monongehela River hill , on the Greene Co. side . Used a 3/4" octagon , 38" barrel , to save weight , and is complete with grease hole to hold pregreased patches. Like I said , it's one of my favorite hunting/shooting rifles. Built a friend a light weight .50 cal. deer rifle. The patch box I put on his rifle is a home brew oval shaped type , that side opens using a top latch , and is made , like the rest of the parts , of copper. He is 80 yrs. old , and really liked the suprise copper rifle for his birthday gift. ........... Best to Ya........oldwood

I have a book, name escapes me, by a guy who researched the "old ways" of the mountain gunsmiths, and the methods and materials they used were extremely primitive; they had no shops to deliver supplies via Fed Ex! The author collected many old gunsmith tools and they're in some folk museum in Appalachia, I believe.

They are very useful, for holding jags, pullers, worms etc... You can also keep patching and balls as needed. I agree for the range they are not used
much, but out in the field the uses are endless. They are great for covering perhaps an imperfection in the wooden stock as well. Used for decoration too

I reckon its a personal things. I just can not stand putting them n so much extra brass on a nice clean rifle. I have 2 rifles that have too much of both. Makes me just pass over them for a shooting session n even taking them hunting. I tell you another of my peeves n that is trigger-guards that have that curled finger grip that does not fit everyone n is a pia when trying to shoot.

Agreed, I far prefer a plain un-carved ML Rifle, sans Patchbox and not overly adorned with Brass.

I have a book, name escapes me, by a guy who researched the "old ways" of the mountain gunsmiths, and the methods and materials they used were extremely primitive; they had no shops to deliver supplies via Fed Ex! The author collected many old gunsmith tools and they're in some folk museum in Appalachia, I believe.

I think your talking about Elliot Wiggenton (spelling?) the guy who started the Foxfire series of Books, I've got a couple of them here in Aussie land for the States way back in the 80's.

The volume on Muzzleloading long guns featured a young Hershel House among others, and had some great anecdotes along with a collection of original photos. One of the most interesting was a guy crafting a Rifling guide with a treadle wood lathe.

I didn't like the extra curl on the trigger guard of a TC Hawken I bought a few months ago so I filed it off and don't miss it at all!

View attachment 242240View attachment 242241
Its raining here, so i took a saw n cut the curl-spur off of mine this morning. Pleased myself on this rifle. Its a .45 n the bore is on the tight side. Bet it has not had 100 shots through it. Nothing i can really do with the ugly patch box they put on a decent piece of walnut.

I think your talking about Elliot Wiggenton (spelling?) the guy who started the Foxfire series of Books, I've got a couple of them here in Aussie land for the States way back in the 80's.

The volume on Muzzleloading long guns featured a young Hershel House among others, and had some great anecdotes along with a collection of original photos. One of the most interesting was a guy crafting a Rifling guide with a treadle wood lathe.
"The volume on Muzzleloading long guns featured a young Hershel House"

Foxfire five

All of my rifles are sans patchbox. My preference is towards a sleek, plain, unadorned iron mounted rifle. My issue with patchboxes is that they cover up a portion of the largest expanse of wood on the rifle. For me the beauty of a rifle is in it's architecture, not it's adornment. However, I do have to admit that I do admire the skill, craftsmanship and artistry that goes into the finer patchboxes.

Back