• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why Patch -Boxes &

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I reckon its a personal things. I just can not stand putting them n so much extra brass on a nice clean rifle. I have 2 rifles that have too much of both. Makes me just pass over them for a shooting session n even taking them hunting. I tell you another of my peeves n that is trigger-guards that have that curled finger grip that does not fit everyone n is a pia when trying to shoot.

Yep. I tried to figure out both trying to think and view it from the period perspective. Patch box I can see.....but that damn spur, I can't figure out for the life of me. Maybe somebody can enlighten me if it has a use, if any.

Yep. I tried to figure out both trying to think and view it from the period perspective. Patch box I can see.....but that damn spur, I can't figure out for the life of me. Maybe somebody can enlighten me if it has a use, if any.
I think i will leave the Woodsman rock sparker alone. I will sell it or trade on another rock sparker, just for that reason. My T/C Hawken .45 cap popper, i will find another trigger-guard i can modify to fit. I will just save the original to go with it for one of my G'sons.

I don’t mind the patch box on my Thompson Center but I don’t use it. The trigger guard spur is annoying.

I have a Chambers with a wooden patch box. Wouldn’t bother me if it didn’t have one.

Last edited:
I'm in the opposite camp on the TG. I always use the spur since the set trigger (the front one) puts the hand in an awkward uncomfortable grip position. The spur allows moving the hand forward while maintaining a better grim. It also helps in pulling the butt tightly into the shoulder without compromising trigger control.

In contrast, the GPR doesn't have a spur and it definitely makes for an awkward handling of that way forward trigger. I've been looking for a replacement that would fit the GPR but haven't found one yet. I did make a single trigger for the GPR but it wasn't exactly what I wanted in terms of pull. Not a good location and I made the mistake of using a lug to mount the trigger to the plate. I might knock the lug off and mount with a pin in the stock.

Just my opinion on it though.

Put the spur where it fits you? I like them when they fit, I am irritated when they don't, moved one and like it much more after but it's not a deal breaker for me. I like having a patchbox that fits the rifle, keep flints and leather etc in it.

I like the look of the patch/cap box. Never use it though. If it's going along it rides In the shooting bag. Some of the huge PA rifle ones are kind of a lot!

I like wood patch boxes myself, some of the brass ones are nice looking, I especially like the bimetal ones.

Most of mine do not have anything in them as I find it is easier to drag stuff out of the pouch, I do have a tow worm and ball puller in the 1803.

Put the spur where it fits you? I like them when they fit, I am irritated when they don't, moved one and like it much more after but it's not a deal breaker for me. I like having a patchbox that fits the rifle, keep flints and leather etc in it.
Usually when i used a spur it was a pair of them, :) My Traditions Woodsman Hawken is my best rock sparker n most dependable. I have shot it about 40 n have 2nd flint in it. It has both the patch-box & the trigger-guard spur. So its going to a new home i hope this year at an Event or at one of the bigger shoots i will attend.

If i had not promised my youngest son's oldest boy he could have it. I would send the T/C Hawken down the road also. What i bought prior to deciding what i wanted to be n do when i growed up. So now i will not get another rifle with either the patch box which i just don't care for n those miserable t-g spurs.

Last edited:
I didn't like the extra curl on the trigger guard of a TC Hawken I bought a few months ago so I filed it off and don't miss it at all!

TC Hawken 2023.jpgTC Hawken 2023-2.jpg

The patch box would be awkward to carry patches in. Usually use that as a small tool box. Have a jag, a small knapping hammer screwdriver, vent pick, couple of flints, a piece of leather and a few cleaning patches. I think the brass patch box covers were probably an easier fix for someone who lost their wood cover. if you look at early rifles with brass covers they were very plain and followed the lines of what would have been a wooden cover. I remember seeing one in Rifles of Colonial America that is a single piece of brass that definitely follows the lines of a wood lid.
I have had 2 rifles with that had the finger grip but cannot recall that causing me any problems.

I ordered my Colonial without a patch box. Not very useful and to me the looks of one is just a bit too much. Re. the spur on trigger guards, I remember filing it off the first T/C Basket I bought.

I've considered adding a the cover to my SMR, to hide the holes left by an ill-advised brass tack design, left by a previous owner.
He hadn't fired the gun (it was decoration over his mantle), so I've forgiven what I consider a heresy.

I haven't seen one large enough and installing a patchbox on a finished rifle is ill-advised anyway. I'll just keep my essential tools in my bag. Fun to consider, though.

Back