• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why not remove the breech plug????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They take all the force in line. Today they are put in tight. Many put a witness mark on the bottom of the barrel cause your really putting on the torque to go that last half of a flat.
after shot it seems those threads tightened up more.
if you regularly take out and then replace the plug you will soon find yourself going past the witness mark
I haven’t pulled a plug on a gun I've shot in thirty years. A bout five years ago I tried and with a thirty inch handle I couldn’t get it to budge. I was afraid any more pressure I could have broke the tang
It it stops past its’ appropriate fitment, you can shape a mild steel punch to fit the slight curve of the thread and fill to bottom of the thread. It only needs to be 1/4 inch wide. Follow the thread around, tapping the punch below the crest as you go and work your way towards the back of the threaded part. This will tighten up and restore your original witness. Can make punch and complete the job in 20 min.

Yep, that's what he said alright. The octagonal barrel is inletted into the stock. What does one do with the tang when the breech plug is not properly aligned with the barrel?
Grind it to fit:ThankYou::horseback:

Yep, that's what he said alright. The octagonal barrel is inletted into the stock. What does one do with the tang when the breech plug is not properly aligned with the barrel?
Hey, you no what? We could start a new thread with that title and see what kind of remedies we get.

Really??!?!?!?! What?!

Oh my god. Ever hear of water and a touch of soap??????? An absolute no to uneedless removal of breech plug!

Really??!?!?!?! What?!

Oh my god. Ever hear of water and a touch of soap??????? An absolute no to uneedless removal of breech plug!
On my previous post, actually I was being facetious. Your post was awesome, and helpful:D

This is the first time I hear about removing the breech plug to inlet the barrel. Is this a common method? Is it recommended in said kit's manual? If yes, perhaps the breech plug is not torqued fully initially in expectation the kit builder will torque it once the inletting is done.

There are few reasons why I never remove breech plugs in any of my muzzleloaders. This is just my opinion.

First is that all my guns were proofed (in Italy, in UK, in Belgium) and the way proof marks are placed leads me to believe barrels would be considered out of proof if breech plugs were removed.
Second, on some guns like my classic side by side smoothbore, kodiak double rifle, howdah etc. Breech plugs are not just screwed in. They are hard brazed in.
Third, breech plugs are supposed to be torqued properly and they need to be at a specific rotational position resulting in proper seal on the barrel shoulder. Repeated removal and reinstallation will lead to some thread degradation that will require either turning the plug past previous point messing with its position, or it'll be slightly looser. In a round ball rifle or a smoothbore that may not be a big deal, but in a fast twist, small caliber rifle that shoots long heavy bullets that may cause issues. It is not beyond the realm of possibility high pressure rifle like that could push powder fouling into slightly loose threads corroding them in time. Loosening even more. Eventually perhaps leading to failure.

Finally, there are many ways to remove a bore obstruction without having to remove the breech plug.

What kit or what barrel manufacturer recommends removal of the breech plug? I'll answer for you......... NONE.
Wow, thank you for answering for me...you must be the smartest person on the forum....I never said a manufacturer or anyone else said to remove a breech plug on a traditional ML. Now caalm down and take your meds...it's gonna be okay...really.

Wow, thank you for answering for me...you must be the smartest person on the forum....I never said a manufacturer or anyone else said to remove a breech plug on a traditional ML. Now caalm down and take your meds...it's gonna be okay...really.
I see a cannon status on the forum for you in the future sir. Couple of thousand to go is all. I will say you are good at creating entertainment at least.

I see a cannon status on the forum for you in the future sir. Couple of thousand to go is all. I will say you are good at creating entertainment at least.
Thank you. I appreciate the comment😂🤣

I haven't tried removing any breech plugs so have absolutely no experience in this area, but I have to ask why you say that about CVA and T/C? Are they red loctite'd in? Torqued in at 200 ft/lbs? Require a 4ft cheater? Welded permanent?

Most anything can be accomplished with the correct tools. Just saying "It can't be done!" always gets me wondering. Know what I mean? I've got a torque wrench that goes up to 200 I use for one job that requires 160 ft/lbs. And, yeah, I've got some good cheaters for that job.

Here's the reason right there. Go ahead. You've been warned. Having tools with no experience? Just cuz I may own a Stradivarius violin doesn't make me Beethoven. Darwin exams don't have extra credit or do overs.

While many of us will disagree on aspects of traditional muzzleloaders, this seems to be a universal constant. LEAVE THE DANGED THING ALONE! and the sage advice, if it ain't broke, don't go fixn it.

@ML48

I by no means am the smartest guy on the block. Just 16 years of industrial maintenance and 12 years of metallurgy.

"DUDE" had a good question.
Why do we see so many admonish the removal of the breech plug for cleaning, etc?
Let'er rip.

Definition of bubba

bubba

• In gunsmithing, a crude attempt with inappropriate tools at repair or modification which results in damage, often serious or even dangerous. Also, a person who does such work, the generic name for any member of that population, or the name of the collective population.
    He sure bubba'd that receiver trying to drive out those taper pins; what did he use, a nail?
    That looks like a bubba trigger job.
    I picked up an old Stevens 20-gauge at a sale but when I took it apart I saw Bubba had got to it first.
    Bubba never sleeps, he just borrows a bigger hammer.

Removing the breech plug on a traditional muzzleloader for cleaning when it's not designed to be removed and without proper tools and knowledge, falls under the above definition.

Please don't "Bubba" your muzzleloader. :(

Back