• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

why not a double flint gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawk

54 Cal.
Reaction score
A freind that I hunt turkeys with told me that he would hunt with a flint if he could get a double barrel gun...my question is why can't I seem to find one on the market?? why are they not more popular??

A fellow in our local group shoots one for clay target events monthly. Nice gun, but it seems like it is abour 8 inches wide at the locks!
I'm kinda thinkin that that un-wielding look probably has something to do with the lack of popularity!

Looks like a good dose of testoserone is neededto haul it around. Would be good conversation starter at the range: "Hey want to see mine? Mine is bigger than yours!!" :grin:

Why no dbl. flints? Expense, they are out there, but....... You can find double perc. guns all day for $350 and up(new,newer, used, even antiques), but flint doubles start MUCH more.

A properly built flint sxs is NOT unwieldy or exceptionally wide through the locks however, they are much more expensive that other ML guns and, due to the lack of ready made parts available, are not often built by todays builders. Even when they ARE built, it's rare to see one built properly. They usually fall into the 'unwieldy' and 'wide as a picknic table' catagories.

I have built a couple. They are very expensive. In fact I no longer take orders for double guns, too much trouble for the money. I doi however shoot a double flint, an original 18 bore ca, 1810.
Double #1
Double #2

Here is a Manton on Youtube. This is what a good one is like.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ZTkW9CX-8[/youtube]

dave he shoots a double capper ,likes the style and would like one in flint for huntin' too bad they're so much money.

nice lookin guns mike those are your builds or is one the original 18 ga?

nice manton :thumbsup:

with all the cappers on the market it seems funny that they haven't done a production double flint??

what makes the flint double harder to build than a double capper??

I think the reason that they have not gained in popularity has more to do with the fact that when a righty fires off the left barrel, he is essentially using a left handed flintlock and you have a jet of fire coming out just inches from your eyes. Probably safe enough, but it has to be a major distraction. Yes, the jet comes out the right side of the gun on a right handed lock, but at least it is not crossing your face.

It might be easier, and cheaper, to build a Double Flinter in an Over/Under configuration, but it would not appeal to those who want the classic lines of a Side by Side. I have read claims that regulating O/U doubles is easier than regulating the barrels on a S/S, but have no personal experience with this. I have seen one " Turn-Barrel " Shotgun built on a Leonard Day action, But I didn't see what gauge it was. It would be a faster second shot than reloading the first barrel, but not as fast as having two actions cocked and ready to fire.

Personally, I don't mind a bit of " chunkiness" in a SxS double if the gun is balanced. I saw and handled an original Tower flintlock DB shotgun that had 36 inch barrels, and balanced on the forehand where you naturally placed you hand. I still don't remember how much the gun weighed, but it had to weigh 8 lbs. or more, and it swung like a dream. So, I know these guns can be made right, and that they can be fine shooters. I suspect that there are alot of shooters who just never learned how to shoot flintlocks, and don't want to be bothered learning how now.

The average Modern breechloading SxS is going to cost you $2,000 an on up, so people wanting a DB Flintlock SxS shotgun should be expecting to pay much more than that at lest double that amount. I don't know many shooters who can afford a gun at that price.

Mike, Those are some mighty fine dbbls I'm wishin I had one to take to our range and make the guys jealous. Sure would be lots of fun on the skeet range.
Dusty

Dusty Bob said:
Mike, Those are some mighty fine dbbls I'm wishin I had one to take to our range and make the guys jealous. Sure would be lots of fun on the skeet range.
Dusty
They are fun. I can break skeets all day with 5/8oz #9 shot. great fun! Here's some pics of the original 18 bore I shoot. Still have to rebrown those barrels.
Bibly Hyde & Co.

I don't even notice the left barrel flash when I am shooting,(I shoot right handed)I have 3 SxS flinters. An orginal 20ga. an original 18ga. and a new built 16ga.

Mike,
Do you have any trouble with the rebated breechplugs getting fouled and failing to light? I have seen a 9 gauge built full width, and I would have no problem with handling and shooting it.
Were most of them rebated?
volatpluvia

Pedersoli makes a double barrel flintlock shotgun. I have seen them at several gun shows. You could probably order one from Cherry's who is Pedersoli's U.S. distributor.
Bruce

volatpluvia said:
Mike,
Do you have any trouble with the rebated breechplugs getting fouled and failing to light? I have seen a 9 gauge built full width, and I would have no problem with handling and shooting it.
Were most of them rebated?
volatpluvia
No problems with ignition if they are built right. More expensive guns had stepped breeches the cheeper ones didn't. You very rarely see flint doubles over 16 bore due to problems with the width at the breech. There are exceptions on the late flint guns. I've seen and handled some late guns with 11 and 12 bores that had severely stepped breeches and handled like a modern double.

It is the the lock/wrist area that is hard to get slimmed down. Mike Brooks knows why are they hard to build, and correctly so. Nock and some other patent breeches of the period made it easier, but not easy to stock them up right.

I once had the pleasure of putting a few rounds through a quality period double flinter. (was a French or Belgian?) Was about a 16 gauge, super light weight and a genuine treasure to shoot and handle.

Back