• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plugging percussion nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing some are missing is the OP didn't say if they didn't leak they were ok to fire, he said " if they did leak they were unfireable." If they don't leak then maybe further inspection or tests are warranted.

You need to find a different gunsmith, preferably one who knows something about BP shotguns.

The barrels are soldered together yes, but after they are made..... Two complete barrels joined together with solder to make a double barrel.

The barrels themselves are not soldered before they are joined together.
Yea the gunsmith knew that. He ment the solder that holds both barrels together can degrade a when fired could cause issues. When he started in the trade in 1974 he had went to a clay shooting event to promote his buisness. A fella there had a 14 gauge british double and when he touched off the right barrel the left barrel exploded. After the owner recovered from his severe wounds he brought the gun to this smith's shop to find out what had happened. The solder joint eroded and left a hairline crack between the barrels and a crack in both barrels. When the barrels were loaded powder fell between both barrels. The ignition on the right barrel found the crack and followed the powder over to the left barrel and blew it out above the wood stock. He has had 34 antique muzzleloading doubles that leaked alcohol between the barrels and were deemed unsafe. If the method has worked before I will try it. Why the hell not, I guess you could say.

One thing some are missing is the OP didn't say if they didn't leak they were ok to fire, he said " if they did leak they were unfireable." If they don't leak then maybe further inspection or tests are warranted.
Yea the leakage test is test #1. I bore scoped the inside and it looks fine but my scope cant see hairline cracks. If this shotty passes the leakage test then I will use my drop in bore gauge mic I use for small engines to take measurements from top to bottom of the bores and see how much metal is left thickness wise between the inside and outside. If the barrels are too thin I wont fire it.

Of all the liquids that are available why alcohol?
To be honest I dont know. The gunsmith I talked too said that is what he was taught to use. The smith he studied under was taught that way in 1927 when he studied under a fella who was born sometime in the late 19th century. If it truly came from the mouth of someone back then I trust it. I was told it was used as it evaporates without leaving residue behind like certain oils would and denatured alcohol doesnt cause rust or corrosion to steel.

Yea the gunsmith knew that. He ment the solder that holds both barrels together can degrade a when fired could cause issues. When he started in the trade in 1974 he had went to a clay shooting event to promote his buisness. A fella there had a 14 gauge british double and when he touched off the right barrel the left barrel exploded. After the owner recovered from his severe wounds he brought the gun to this smith's shop to find out what had happened. The solder joint eroded and left a hairline crack between the barrels and a crack in both barrels. When the barrels were loaded powder fell between both barrels. The ignition on the right barrel found the crack and followed the powder over to the left barrel and blew it out above the wood stock. He has had 34 antique muzzleloading doubles that leaked alcohol between the barrels and were deemed unsafe. If the method has worked before I will try it. Why the hell not, I guess you could say.
First off there is no solder in the individual barrels themselves There is only solder between the barrels and holding the rib in place.

The solder eroding would have no effect on the barrels themselves. The weakened solder in the rib can usually be detected by holding the gun by the wrist and gently tapping the barrels with a rawhide mallet or similar, if they "ring" they are good, a dull thud and the solder is probably bad and the rib is coming loose, this can be fixed.

Second, the barrels were in such bad shape that powder from one barrel could set off the powder in the other barrel.......Jumping Jehosaphats, how rusted and pitted was this thing that you could not tell it was not safe to shoot?

Pouring alcohol down the barrel will not hurt but once again if you get a $50.00 bore scope you will learn a lot more than that alcohol will ever tell you.

You need to find a gunsmith that tells better porky pies.

Latest posts

Back