• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flints - English vrs French

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kopp

40 Cal
Reaction score
As side from the English seeming to be the more traditional flint used..Is there any major diffrence between the two types of flints....?

And why are they so hard to find... because hunting season is rolling around?

Zero scientific fact here, but "I feel like" I go through French flints much faster than English. I've been looking for flints too and have the same observation.

Novaculite flints are better than either, but nobody sells them.

Seasonal overseas shipments from the only person left making them in England is the story I keep hearing (Tom Fuller's apprentice). Not sure on the French ones. Every time someone says they can't find flints, members post up a half dozen places that do. Try the Rifle Shoppe and all the other, smaller outfits that have been steadily serving customers for decades instead of the "big box" MZ supply houses.

As side from the English seeming to be the more traditional flint used..Is there any major diffrence between the two types of flints....?

And why are they so hard to find... because hunting season is rolling around?
For the time being the very best flint is whatever you can find. There are shooting competitions going on in the UK this time of year from what I’ve heard but I’ve never seen that affect supply as dramatically before.

Novaculite flints are better than either, but nobody sells them.
I once considered selling them. The Novaculite mines are here in Arkansas. Several reasons why I didn't. I did some market research asking flintlock shooters at a big event if they would be interested. The responses were 100% the same. Not only "no" but emphatically
"HELL NO". Plus the cost is out of sight. Plus, in my experience , they are lousy sparkers and do serious wear on the frizzen face. My tuppence.

Last edited:
How many shots do you typically get out of a flint? I have my first flint lock and have fired about 70 rounds on the original flint? Just wondering how long they last!

How many shots do you typically get out of a flint? I have my first flint lock and have fired about 70 rounds on the original flint? Just wondering how long they last!
Depends on the lock. Some of the Factory locks like CVA and Traditions EAT rocks. I'm fortunate to have a ML Shop nearby so I can go in and measure them. I usually buy them a little longer. I've got about 75 shots on my rifle and 50 on my pistol. Both are still sparking. The Rifle lock is a Siler and the pistol, is L&R.

Walt

Depends on the lock. Some of the Factory locks like CVA and Traditions EAT rocks. I'm fortunate to have a ML Shop nearby so I can go in and measure them. I usually buy them a little longer. I've got about 75 shots on my rifle and 50 on my pistol. Both are still sparking. The Rifle lock is a Siler and the pistol, is L&R.

Walt
I'm shooting a Woodsrunner with the Kibler lock and the French Ambers that came with the lock.

I get 1 or 2 shots per flint (english) with my Pedersorry Scout. Still working/tuning the lock. I think its going to up my count on my next shooting session to maybe a dz. shots per flint, if its French Amber.
holy smokes, or the lack thereof!
you have lock issues as you know! i would suspect the cock is hammering the frisson rather than shaving. best of luck.

I once considered selling them. The Novaculite mines are here in Arkansas. Several reasons why I didn't. I did some market research asking flintlock shooters at a big event if they would be interested. The responses were 100% the same. Not only "no" but emphatically
"HELL NO". Plus the cost is out of sight. Plus, in my experience , they are lousy sparkers and do serious wear on the frizzen face. My tuppence.

Your locks must be terrible. I've run up 80+ shots now on a raw white one with no excessive frizzen wear and the rock still has a razor-sharp edge. The rock wears but it chips back at the same angle it started at and doesn't get blunter as it gets shorter because it naturally flakes at an ideal angle, unlike flint.

I have used french, english and chert. I honestly cant tell a difference.

Latest posts

Back