• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buying Original?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m in the market for some kind of U.S. .69 caliber smoothbore musket.

Originally wanting a repro, I am not seeing hardly any for sale out there. I talked with David Stavlo of Lodgewood Mfg. and he informed me he hadn’t seen any new Pedersoli or Armi-Sport smoothbores in a long time. When a repro can be found, I’m finding them priced higher than originals.

So searching around on places like Gun Broker there are a ton of original M1816 and M1842 original muskets for sale at surprisingly good prices.

Should I just get a real one? I’m wanting it as a shooter, hence why I wanted to go repro, but heck it seems originals are so much easier to obtain.

Thoughts?

If you're going to go original, the 1842 is your best bet if you ever need parts since that was the first model that had interchangable parts; previously muskets were made "to a pattern" and parts, although surprisingly similar, might could need just a minor bit of tweaking to fit. I've had very good luck with 2nd and 3rd model 1816's when it comes to fitting replacement parts but that might not always be the case.

GO ORIGINAL! If possible.
There is a different feeling when you handle/fire an old original musket. I am shooting my original Short pattern Brown Bess and it's a grin!

Attachments

• Bess Breathing.jpg
    Bess Breathing.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 0

Originally wanting a repro, I am not seeing hardly any for sale out there. I talked with David Stavlo of Lodgewood Mfg. and he informed me he hadn’t seen any new Pedersoli or Armi-Sport smoothbores in a long time. When a repro can be found, I’m finding them priced higher than originals.

So searching around on places like Gun Broker there are a ton of original M1816 and M1842 original muskets for sale at surprisingly good prices.

Should I just get a real one? I’m wanting it as a shooter, hence why I wanted to go repro, but heck it seems originals are so much easier to obtain.

Thoughts?
MidwayUSA has four or five Pedersolis that fill the bill.

Ooooh, I would much rather be shooting original Besses in Florida today than staining kitchen cabinets in rainy west central Texas!
Plainsman, I am curious what you plan to do with your musket. I admire them and respect their place in an honored lineage, but would prefer the lighter weight and livelier feel of a sporting shotgun than a musket for hunting.

Ooooh, I would much rather be shooting original Besses in Florida today than staining kitchen cabinets in rainy west central Texas!
Plainsman, I am curious what you plan to do with your musket. I admire them and respect their place in an honored lineage, but would prefer the lighter weight and livelier feel of a sporting shotgun than a musket for hunting.
You can move to Florida. Everybody from New York, California, and Mexico is already here. Sigh.... I'll sell you some swamp land, oops, I mean waterfront land.

Thoughts?

An 1835 or 1840 in original flint will run you around 3 - 5 k.

I’ve seen many of them, not a single one i can say didn’t look bad, that’s what i would look for.

1816’s are hit or miss, if they’re reconverted I’d pay special attention to the reconversion, Hoyt can rebreech and line it.

Latest posts

Back