• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

So I was about to pull the Trigger on a nice Uberti 1858 but I think I might change my mind...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll look into it thanks! I see a lot of people recommending slixshot. Is track of the wolf or slixshot nipples better? Which better fits #11? (I bought 1000 from midsouth)
I've had good luck with TOW nipples. I actually stocked up on TOW nipples so I would have them onhand when needed. Slix Shot get a little pricey.

I happily had the Revolver and Roundball in the cart, even found a nice coupon for it. Eager to spend my tax return and wife even looking forward to firing it. Then I went to go add some percussion caps to the cart and well...

So, I've been a Flintlock guy for a few years and I know some items might be hard to find, but is there no way to purchase caps anymore? It seems like every store on the planet has discontinued carrying them. I've look at all my local stores and have had no luck. Expanded to online stores, and there are none available online either.

I don't know if I want to move from flintlock to percussion if its just going to be a wall hanger, seems like a waste of money. Maybe I should just buy a nice flintlock pistol instead? Might not be able to hit the broadside of a barn but at least I could actually shoot it. Kind of disappointing.

PS: another issue is I don't know which size caps the revolver takes until I get it, I found one place that has #11 but I would need to buy thousand in bulk without knowing.
Thats a shame to pass up on a deal like you had. Caps will be available again. They actually are in my area. I stocked up on a 100 of each. I can always change nipples to use which ever caps I have available. They wear out at some point anyway.

He has a Uberti Walker listed for $719.00 and declared that he would have no problem getting that kind of money because some poor felon who is denied gun rights would gladly fork out the change right after they sold a few stolen catalytic converters..
Whoever that guy is.....he sounds like a miserable human and probably no-one wants to be around him. I would drive out of my way to go somewhere else and not give that kind of person any of my business , I don't care if he was giving away free caps I'd go somewhere else. Im stubborn like that.😑

Is the cap shortage ever planned on cleaning up? Paying $109 for 1000 caps seems pretty excessive for me, I might end up learning how to make my own.
109 bucks seems kinda fair actually. I've been picking up tins here and there from 12-14 per 100.

The last time my local shop had caps they were $18.50 a tin. It's a real gouging shop and he bombards you with his ignorant political rants.
Yep, I paid 22 bucks for a tin of Remington #10's before my Slixshots came in. Left the store walking funny for sure.

Name a state where a felon cannot own a firearm - but CAN own a black powder revolver. Just one.

Name a state where a felon cannot own a firearm - but CAN own a black powder revolver. Just one.
Minnesota. Under their laws muzzleloaders are not firearms. The same as Federal law.

One of my boyhood friends lives there. He was convicted of a felony when he was in his early 20’s and he’s not only legally allowed to own muzzleloaders, Minnesota law reinstated his right to keep and bear modern weapons as well. Federal law follow state law in that regard.

Last edited:
I'll look into it thanks! I see a lot of people recommending slixshot. Is track of the wolf or slixshot nipples better? Which better fits #11? (I bought 1000 from midsouth)
I replaced my stock nipples with slixshot and I don't have to pinch caps anymore and cap jams are much reduced.

Back