• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why do you shoot a muzzle loader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeinVA

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am sure this question has been asked before, but i shall use my "newbie" status as an excuse. I love the muzzle loader as its a challenge. It has roots that run deep into our history. And nothing is more asthetic than a flinter.

I enjoy shooting guns that were around at the founding of our country. They take a lot more practice and work than modern firearms which make it rewarding. Not to mention the priceless look on those individuals when they see my rifle out performing their modern rifle with the latest technology.

History, cost, lack of paperwork. It's also interesting to shoot something so simple, knowing how old the design is. It's the same reason I do traditional archery.

"Why not" might be a shorter list :haha:. Seriously, though, I enjoy the history that goes along with them, plus the boom & the smoke. Simply can't beat that!

I'm 55, started back in the mid-70s and to this day, I still remember the first shot I took with a muzzleloader...Previous to this, I loved history and have studied and read about American History all my life...I also grew up hunting, so it was a easy transition to move into hunting, target shooting and even giving historical talks at local schools...

That's the long answer...The short answer is:

Fess Parker...God Bless him... :hatsoff:

My answer is real simple....I was born 150 years too late...the truth and nothing but the truth..

God Bless

Lee

Gonna sound like I'm bragging, so let the hounds loose!!
I started ml-ing in the '80's because it was getting boring killing elk at 200-300 yards, not having to work that hard to find them. Then I tried bow hunting, and couldn't hit the broadside, so to speak, wounded an elk. Bought a Cabela's Hawken, and that was better, but like some others say, there's nothing like shooting and hunting with a round ball. I built my first longrifle in 2003, and will never go back. I have sold all but one of my centerfires.

Because I'm damn good at it!

Seriously though, it's due to the slower pace. My job is very stressful, and I really enjoy slowing down and shooting by overcoming the obstacles presented to me in this genre.

And I love the smell of real black! Breathe deep, for it's the smell of freedom being won and blood being shed for you. (had to add that part of D-Day!).

Dave

I've thought of another reason and for me, it's the best one so far...I get to meet and spend a few minutes with some of the kindest most patriotic men, women and kids on the planet...

God Bless

Lee

Its because of gentleman named Max Vickery, Nelson Hera, Doyal Wascom, Bill Shelly, Harry O. Smith and Dad...all where among the early foundation of the "modern" black powder movement in Indiana during the 1960's and all where mentors to a skinny tow headed kid who absorbed their every word. I shot my first BP rifle, a Remington Zouave Reproduction, at the age of 8 and now as 60 looms I really don't know any different...

Snow

Got bored hunting with a centerfire rifle. Bought
a T/C Hawkin and fell in love with black powder. I love the history of black powder guns, the smell of the smoke, the click-BOOM, and I can build my own.

My interest in history made me decide to shoot flintlocks, and once I did I discovered the satisfaction level was well above shooting cartridge guns. A fact proven because all the cartridge guys stop what their doing to come look at what you're shooting when you're at the public range.

Back