• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why do you shoot a muzzle loader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You better check on the bow too. I can only speak for Colorado, but a felon here can't hunt with a ML or bow.

As a youth I loved all those Davy Crocket and Daniel Boone films and books. (Saw Davy Crocket with Fess Parker last week - yes sir over here in Belgium!).... In the 70ties these BP guns where free for sale and other guns not. Then I had a brother in law who started shooting with a BP gun, and he got me hooked. On top of that I am much interested in the history of it all. And I like the old flintlocks a heap better than those modern 'machines'....

Started in JR High. Something about looking for Ol D'anl and Davey in the woods. Hav'n to watch out for them troublesome Crow and Blackfeet. The feel of the possibles bag against my side. The deliberation it takes to load. Fewer folks in the woods. Having to really think before taken a bead. The smell.

That is just the start.... I guess at the bottom of it, I am a romantic history buff born 150 years too late.

(don't get me wrong, I like my Sako (deer) and my Wing recurve (stumps) as well. BP for elk.)

I love muzzleloading because of the challenge, but I also enjoy the process ... all the measuring and lubing and loading, &c. (what my centerfire friends call "fiddling around"). I also like the historical aspect and the fact that it is less expensive. Heck, now that I think about, I like everything about it! :grin:

Lee M:

The main reason for me is the history behind these early arms. Especially the first ones and when I say first ones, I mean 14th Century Handgonnes! :grin: I love'em all from the 14th Century to the 19th Century.

But to me, the biggest thrill is the smell the burning slowmatch as it comes down followed by the FLASH BOOM! Love the Handgonnes and the Matchlocks! :bow:

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

It's the only way to make smoke. That tobaccy manure is manure. Powder smoke makes inhailing much better. Just more fun.

They make alot of smoke. They smell good. They get you good and dirty. They go BOOM! And they hang around nice folks. :grin: :thumbsup: :)

HISTORY! I have always studied history, I catch myself giving history lessons to people who are waiting for tonights episode on the history channel that describes exactly how achient aliens helped found this country, I dont undersand how folks can watch that stuff when real story is so much more amazing. Plus I appricate the simple beauty and simple mechanics. Oh I forgot their fun to shoot!

chuckr1952 said:
HISTORY! I have always studied history, I catch myself giving history lessons to people who are waiting for tonights episode on the history channel that describes exactly how achient aliens helped found this country, I dont undersand how folks can watch that stuff when real story is so much more amazing. Plus I appricate the simple beauty and simple mechanics. Oh I forgot their fun to shoot!

Amen,Though I'm still waitin for them to catch bigfoot

I got into ML 'cause we leased a house when we were stationed in Arizona that had a massive stone fireplace with a fantastic mantle. I thought that a fireplace and mantle like that deserved a flintlock rifle. I grew up hunting and fishing in Minnesota but got away from it when I went away to college then into the Army I didn't have any personal firearms at the time. That was until we were stationed in Arizona and my son wanted to start hunting. Then we took the hunter safety course and a part of it was muzzle loading. Since I had a somkepole over the fireplace I started putting it into service. The rest is history.

Just 'cuz I love everything about it: history, challenge, hunting, smell of burnt powder, good group of guys and girls, etc.

Like to do things like this that was done so many years ago and by our forefathers.

Good question. Nice to see lots of responses.

Pretty much all the reasons already stated, and it keeps me sane and relaxes me. Dont get me wrong, I still have my modern stuff, and use it, but there's just something very relaxing about a muzzleloader. It forces me to slow down, pay attention, and takes my mind off of everything else going on in my life. Some of y'all around here arent half bad either... :hatsoff:

I think muzzleloaders make me a better hunter. Before when I hunted with shotguns I usually took about at least 3 shots to take my deer every year. Now, I don't have that option so I just make it count and all goes well. Here's a story for you, before I hunted with muzzleloaders I was deer hunting one day with my mossberg 500 20 gauge and out comes a deer at 70 yards. I took 7 shots to bring it down and only 2 actually hit the deer :shake:.

The reason I started shooting muzzleloaders was because I drew a leftover ML deer tag. 3 more days to hunt deer. :thumbsup:

The reason I shoot muzzleloaders now is because drawing that deer tag changed my whole world. :grin:

Back