• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Results of a family muzzle loading activity

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I mentioned on a different forum on this site that I was taking my son and daughter-in-law to shoot traditional muzzle loaders. They were going to the East Coast for a vacation and planned to visit Revolutionary and Civil War museums and parks and wanted to have the experience of shooting a traditional muzzle loader. I brought replica 1760 era flintlocks and a percussion rifle that a fur trader might use in 1840s.
I wish I could have captured the smile on my daughter-in-law's face after the first shot of the flint lock! She loved the experience. It's obvious that I will be hosting some more family black powder shoots.
My son has been shooting muzzle loaders with me for some years, although not very often. His profession requires proficiency with unmentionable firearms, so he spends range time with those. Even he had a great time.
Even more: we were the only black powder shooters at the outdoor range. People stopped by frequently to look at our muzzle loaders. A young man in his 20s was completely captured by the flintlock shooting. Later, I invited the young man and his little brother to take a shot with the flintlock, after asking their father. Their father laughed after seeing them firing the muzzle loaders and jokingly accused me of causing him future expenditures for black powder equipment for his boys.
Overall, we must have had 15 people stop by and many others who just gawked. We were the center of attention as long as we were there.

Fields Early Lancaster GRRW Barrel Original Mortimer Lock full lft(6)sm.JPG
Ohio finished by James Tawneysm.JPG

12-22-14Custom Kentucky flintlock mine full rt(20).JPG

Nice Muzzleloaders always capture attention and are appreciated.
Congrats

They should come to N-SSA Nationals in Winchester if they're touring VA Civil War sites. They'll get to see more Civil War guns being shot with live ammunition than anywhere else in the country and that includes artillery.

A link to a very good overview of our competition in Winchester-

They should come to N-SSA Nationals in Winchester if they're touring VA Civil War sites. They'll get to see more Civil War guns being shot with live ammunition than anywhere else in the country and that includes artillery.

A link to a very good overview of our competition in Winchester-

We moved from Virginia to Colorado in 1985. Was your organization active pre'1985? I used to go to historic sites with books of maps of the battles and disposiof the troops. My son and daughter-in-law will go to Charleston, South Carolina first, then to visit relatives in North Carolina. I don't know if they will get to Virginia.

We moved from Virginia to Colorado in 1985. Was your organization active pre'1985? I used to go to historic sites with books of maps of the battles and disposiof the troops. My son and daughter-in-law will go to Charleston, South Carolina first, then to visit relatives in North Carolina. I don't know if they will get to Virginia.
Yup. We've been around for about 70 years and IIRC in Winchester since the mid 60s

Latest posts

Back