• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

why am i so addicted to revolvers ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candymancan

32 Cal
Reaction score
So i started buying firearms abiut 10 months ago. Im 35. Started shooting at 13 and the first gun i shot was a 5.5 inch 1873 colt. ....,

Then i saw two 1851 navy in cabelas 3 weeks later and i got both.. 44 cal brass and steel. I shoot them 2x a week. My 1911 i havent fired in 4 months.

I also bought two 1858 remingtons. Brass. 1 a sherriff. I just like the brass honestly. And after 2000+ rounds in my 1851 with 30 grains i havent seen any wear marks on the ring or any stretching. So i think brass is fine at 25-30.

Anyway.. yesturday i got a 1860 arny polished steel..

Anyway.. sorry for s long post i type alot..

Is anyone elsecas addicted to blackpowder. Or revolvers in general as i am ?

Am i weird ? Or is this common ?

And i have a 54 cal hawkins. My brother keeps sayingvto get a ar15.. but hes former army and hasnt fired black power

I own a bunch of modern guns that are mostly collecting dust nowadays because of ammo prices. Making my own black powder and casting lead and so forth pretty thoroughly insulates me from the ridiculous prices of modern ammunition and the associated panic of trying to find any to buy. Saving money is something I always appreciate, but the lack of hysteria in my life is near priceless.

The "black plastic" guns are just tools that serve a particular role for me. I don't especially care for them, but they are (for me) the best tools available for their specific applications. Black powder guns are (again, for me) a lot more fun, historically interesting, challenging, and far more economical once the initial purchase price is laid aside. Did I mention they were more fun?

Speaking to your question of addiction, maybe you're just one of the people who can do the math and appreciate the economy. Maybe the historical qualities of BP guns speak to you. Maybe you enjoy the slower pace of shooting them. Yes, I think you safely qualify as being weird. The vast majority of dedicated shooters don't seem to know spit about black powder and you've chosen to align yourself with an extraordinarily small group of people who do. My friends think I'm weird for fooling with BP but while they're driving a hundred miles chasing a rumor of some ammo, I'm out back shooting.

So wait... who's weird? 🤔

Yep, it's an addiction. But a good one! And, of course, you won't find too many here disagreeing with you. You're among friends - we won't report you.

Revolvers have more firepower and reliable function. Your BP revolver may misfire but is rare to jam.
On Colts do the cap sucking prevention measures.
Just re-cock and fire. In an emergency the revolver is there for you. Now BP
revolvers may not be powerhouses, but they are reliable and sufficient.
Yes, BP revolvers are addicting, and sports minded people treasure them.
As for costs, the BP option has one great advantage: it is low cost to
operate and you can home brew the required fuel. I do believe that along
with the BP revolvers, you should have a "kentucky or bouty hunter" style single shot
pistol in flinter variation. Then you are totally off the Grid of control & limits.

20210822_111220~2.jpg

I used to be addicted to revolvers too...

It's an incurable addiction. I've been shooting and collecting cap and ball revolvers since I was 13. My dad got me my first one.. and now I'm, well,, a lot older. I now own 7 of them and am eying up number 8. My dear wife is beside herself since she can't find any cap and ball anonymous organizations.

My dad got me my first one when I was 13, and now I'm, well, a lot older now. I own 7 of them and am eying up number 8. I have recently purchased a 51 colt navy and now I'm looking at a 58 brass remmy. My wife is beside herself trying to find some professional help ( cap and ball anonymous). So far she's had no luck.😄 Not to mention the various long guns in my collection. I could go on and on.
Have a great day and keep up the tradition.

Is this "revolver addiction" a generation thing? Seems the younger set like autos and only the older guys still use the revolvers. Or is this just my imagination?

I have a decent collection of modern firearms, each of which serves a practical purpose or fills a collecting niche. The fun I get from the handguns, in particular, has a good bit to do with running them for time, as well as accuracy.

The BP revolver was a natural evolution of that desire to build a new skillset. The flintlock pistol I got was the same thing.

Ultimately, @Candymancan , your interest in revolvers developed the way mine did with the modern firearms, as far as your enjoyment of them goes at the range, as well as the collection niches they fill. Personally, I am interested in getting an 1860 Army to fill a collection niche and develop the skills needed to run it, which may vary from those needed to run my Remington 1858.

We all have our focuses on firearms that interest us. Your focus is narrowly tailored at this point, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Mine just sort of broadened to a substantial degree. The addiction is just more complex to fulfill, unfortunately. You are fortunate in that you can fulfill yours without the need for a bunch of new components every time you add to your collection. This is a good time to have your particular addiction.

Anyway fasy foward i finally told myself im going to buy a gun.. i dont care what my mom or brother or girlfriend thinks. And i got a 1911, a gun ive always wanted. However the first gun i wanted was a 1873 colt. They are just beautiful guns.

Am i weird ? Or is this common ?
I feel your "pain". My MODERN REVOLVER is beautiful, but my BP revolvers are an addiction. I want more and more and more........

Wow only 35 and addicted to guns. Your going to need a bigger safe by the time you get to be my age. 😁
When I finally got to a point where I wasn't PCS'ing every year and a half or being stationed in places with whacky gun laws, I made up for some lost time. I bought a safe I thought would suffice in size, picking it based on where I wanted to place it. It was fine for the guns I had, with room to spare. The problem is that I kept making up for lost time after I got the safe, and now it's stuffed. There's another safe in the future.

Back