• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting the percussion revolvers a lot lately

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been shooting some of my percussion revolvers more for the past few months. I find shooting the black powder guns (especially the revolvers) more fun than my modern firearms. I have also acquired a couple of new ones in the past few weeks that are very enjoyable.

The video is of the Uberti Walker I just picked up. It was unfired and living in a shadow box. Unfortunately someone had dry fired it and damaged the nipples causing a few issues with ignition. I had planned on shooting the Walker repro and then cleaning it and sticking it in another shadow box with a damascus bowie I own. However I enjoyed playing with the massive revolver so much I ordered another set of nipples and will still shoot it regularly. With 40 grains of FFFG it really rings that steel target.

I also traded for a Pietta 1860 a few weeks ago. It to was unfired and had been kept in a shadow box. The fellow I got it from bought it at a local attorney's estate sale. I can't help but wonder how many people buy these guns for "show" and not for shooting. I am not complaining mind you. I got really great deals on the guns. Mostly I think because they were viewed as just "decorations" maybe??

I did solve the unfired issue with that gun also. I posted a few photos and also one of my percussion revolver pinwheel.

Sorry, the video is of me firing the Pietta 1860.

Take care and enjoy life

Attachments

• 10 GUN PERCUSSION PINWHEEL.jpg
    10 GUN PERCUSSION PINWHEEL.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 1860 Pietta capped.jpg
    1860 Pietta capped.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Uberti Walker.jpg
    Uberti Walker.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 18
  • VID_20220415_141740607-3.mp4
    11.8 MB
I agree completely. All I shoot are my black powder guns now. Pistols rifles and shotguns. Much more satisfying, relaxing, fun! The unmentionables are just boring me now. I tend to go back and forth with different things that hold my interest for a while but I’m confident BP is here to stay. Love the Walker! Mine is a Uberti Taylor’s and my favorite in my collection.

Single action revolvers are my favorite handgun and cap and ball are at the top of the list. (It helped I stocked up on caps after the previous shortage.) Love the slow, deliberate pace that C&B requires. Must be why they have multiplied in the gun safe over the years.

By the way, the first Ruger Old Army I bought was unfired, with the original nipple and wrench. It was in a custom display box. I assumed it was given as a gift to someone who never intended to fire it. Got it at a low price that would make strong men cry these days. (It did not remain unfired very long.)

Jeff

I agree too but I think I know why. Modem guns are pretty much ‘load/ fire’. But BP arms by their nature require ritual; steps that must be taken in a certain order to achieve the desired result. It’s more of a hands on process that some of us, probably most of us find interesting, intriguing, intoxicating. I love the ritual of loading and maintaining a Bp revolver.

Loading procedures for a percussion pistol reminds me of when I used to smoke a pipe. Tobacco had to be filled just right in the bowl if you expected a nice, even smoke without issues. Then the pipe had to be cleaned if you expected a good experience on the next use. Kind of similar. I miss my pipes but heart surgery put an end to that.

I've been shooting my percussion revolvers a lot more, mainly because my gun club started giving me heat about shooting muzzleloading rifles and muskets in the "multi use" pits.....because they consider them a "shotgun" which are now no longer allowed in the "pistol" area.

So.......out of convenience I have rediscovered my pile of percussion revolvers because using the rifle range is often a PITA.

My pair of Walkers is pretty much like having revolving hand-fired rifles anyway and I can punch paper at 50 yards with them, with ease.

I have a friend I have known for many years who bought ten black powder revolvers 20 years ago and never has fired one shot from them. He just likes looking at them and puts them back in the safe. I am trying to coax them away from him.

Latest posts

Back