• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who needs 4F ????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharmvet

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Wow, I had a revelation this weekend with my smoothie. After reading that some of you guys her prime with the same powder that you use as your main charge, I had to give it a try. I am currently using 2F, (got some 3F this weekend for experimentation). Anyway, my gun shot flawlessly with 2F prime. In fact, it seemed faster. Is this possible. It is certainly more convenient and simplifies things. By the way (musketman) thanks for the tip about dribbling out of the main horn for priming. It works great. Now I guess Ill have to find someone needing almost a full can of 4F. lol

It works well for when people dry ball as it is easy to wiggle in past the vent or down in the drum when you pull the nipple. I would keep my 4f.

CS

pharmvet said:
By the way (musketman) thanks for the tip about dribbling out of the main horn for priming. It works great.

One thing I know aboit is dribbling, I have been dribbling for years, even from my powder horn... :rotf:

ahem, glad I was able to help...

pharmvet said:
Now I guess Ill have to find someone needing almost a full can of 4F. lol

Remember, you can't mail black powder to anyone without going to jail, unless you have a federal license to mail explosives...

Keep it, you may need it down the road when you pick up that one gun that doesn't like the same priming powder as the main charge...

Pharmvet,
I tried this more than a few times, just to see what happened. Loaded with 3f and primed with same and could not tell a difference in speed or performance. Even tried it with 2f and saw the same thing. I have 2 guns with L&R locks and one with a large Siler, and all performed the same way. My standard setup is load and prime with 3f from the main horn, but still keep a small primer-type horn of 4f in the pouch for the "just in case" times mentioned above! I guess good hot sparks, and plenty of them, will make anything work ok. :v

I had the need a few times lately to have to push in some powder behind a dry ball. I've been using Swiss NullB for awhile now and found the flour like grain of it almost falls in the flash hole and I can clear a dry ball in no time at all. I used the NullB (I'm told = 7F) for hunting this year and it rained and snowed the whole time, had no problems with prime gumming up at all. I changed the prime a few times but it never clumped or caked, always loose and dumped out without having to wipe the pan. I'm not sure how much wetter the weather could be and not have to swim to my blind and I had zero problems.

Jon

Latest posts

Back