• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you prefer 3F or 4F for priming ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4f Goex. At a Rendezvous last week I did the woods walk with a guy who was using 3f, it was hot and humid, and heard lots of clicks, no boom, finally I was feeding his flint with my 4f. Seemed to function fine after that.

I use 4 FG because I’ve seen Internet high speed video of the pan powder flashing off.
The 4 FG powder threw/launched from the pan, fewer and more importantly smaller less energetic burning embers that didn’t travel as far and burned out much quicker.

Flintlock long guns are by nature flinch inducing x2, so anything that can help calm the pan flash is a welcomed improvement. Use the minimum quantity of 4fg in the pan that guarantees the main charge will go boom. The minimum flash helps fight the instinct to flinch when a flash goes off so close to one’s eye.
Wearing eye glasses and performing a laser like focus on the front sight and much shooting practice calms the flinch instinct.
X2 don’t forget the normal standard flinch indicative of any kind of firearm discharging, the loud noise the punch to the shoulder It all adds up to make a flintlock a difficult gun to shoot accurately.

I use 3F when I’m hunting. You could probably get away with using 4F or null B if you’re deer hunting, but when squirrel hunting you’re hopefully firing more than one shot. I won’t shoot more than one deer in one day, but I still use 3F. I don’t begrudge anyone for using what works for them though.

I use ffffg as a pan powder , the larger granulations don't fit through my priming horn measure spout , and I am looking for consistency in everything in my loads . I am half way through my eighth tin of Goex .

I currently use 4F, but only because I have some. Once it is gone I will use 3F, which is what I use for my main load. At today's prices, I can't see buying a new can of 4F when 3F will work as well.

That making "soup in the pan" is interesting! You must live in a very humid place! I'm here, high in the Colorado Rockies, and that has never been a problem. I've always used FFFFg, for nearly instantaneous fire. I dump and re-prime every morning when I'm out, but even at the range, I've never had the soup problem. I shoot a Tennessee Mountain Rifle, and as long as I run a pick in the flash hole every 2 or 3 shots, I've never had a misfire. Once when trying to take a shot at a bull elk, I had the fire flash about 2 feet from the pan. But I was hunting at about 11,000 feet and had about a 40 mph crosswind. Fortunately, the bull stood there wondering what the heck I was and gave me time to double prime and try again. Good meat!

That making "soup in the pan" is interesting! You must live in a very humid place! I'm here, high in the Colorado Rockies, and that has never been a problem. I've always used FFFFg, for nearly instantaneous fire. I dump and re-prime every morning when I'm out, but even at the range, I've never had the soup problem. I shoot a Tennessee Mountain Rifle, and as long as I run a pick in the flash hole every 2 or 3 shots, I've never had a misfire. Once when trying to take a shot at a bull elk, I had the fire flash about 2 feet from the pan. But I was hunting at about 11,000 feet and had about a 40 mph crosswind. Fortunately, the bull stood there wondering what the heck I was and gave me time to double prime and try again. Good meat!
Yes, a lot of us do. I would guess a "muggy" day where you're at is 30% humidity, here in the Midwest and the south most of the year is 50% or higher . Most mornings in the summer I get between 80% to 99% humidity. Humidity is a curse on mankind.

That making "soup in the pan" is interesting! You must live in a very humid place! I'm here, high in the Colorado Rockies, and that has never been a problem. I've always used FFFFg, for nearly instantaneous fire. I dump and re-prime every morning when I'm out, but even at the range, I've never had the soup problem. I shoot a Tennessee Mountain Rifle, and as long as I run a pick in the flash hole every 2 or 3 shots, I've never had a misfire.
Did about 5 hours of shooting this past Saturday in 80%+ humidity. Had 2 new and 2 old guns that needed firing. As a rule, I just don't shoot during the summer because of the miserable heat. But we did it anyway, and it was fun, but miserable. Was shooting 3 flints, I use 4F. As others said, that's what I started with and continue to use. Nothing wrong with choosing another option. But I was well reminded as to why I stopped shooting when its hot & humid. We spent as much time cleaning the pan, flint, & frizzen as we did loading.

4F is faster. That is an absolute fact. Because you cannot discern a difference between 3F and 4F does not refute or dilute that solid fact. Prime your pan with what you put in the barrel is okay with me. I have no reason to care. My point is that by taking that shortcut you accomplish nothing good beyond convenience. For me, shooting a muzzleloader has nothing to do with convenience. Cartridges are convenient. But in my warped OCD brain, I must do it correctly. If you can find it on the Net, watch the lock time between 4F and 3F. There IS a difference. If that little bit of quicker fire is okay with you it is okay with me. But I will NEVER put 3F in the pan if I have 4F available.

I’ve used both 3f and 4f as priming powder. This is a pic of the 4f I make for priming and 2f in the barrel. The 4f is noticeably quicker when I’m shooting. Have not tried 2f to prime

Attachments

• B9581577-8273-40EE-9246-8C756584BEF1.jpeg
    B9581577-8273-40EE-9246-8C756584BEF1.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Isn't the pressure difference in your barrel made by grain size? Doesn't 3F create more pressure, making it unsuitable for large bores? If that is true, it follows that finer powder burns faster, thus the pressure.

Back