• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4f priming powder...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigD63

Red Ryder .177
Reaction score
Howdy All,
I'm a flintlock virgin. I've been making smoke with a percussion rifle for 3 years, but I just purchaced my first flintlock (T/C Hawken .50). In my research (internet expert!), I've learned that flintlocks are primed with 4f. I've read here that 3f (even 2f) works also. I've ordered some 4f but it will not arrive until next week. Should I wait until the 'fine' stuff arrives or go blasting using 3f primer? I'm a big boy and can wait, but I really want to try my new boom stick this weekend (weather permiting)!

Based solely what I've seen stated by many members here, 3F and even in many cases 2F will get the priming job done in a pinch. There may be a little more delay, YMMV. I haven't tried anything but 4F myself. I got a pound of it shortly after I got my first flinter.

I'm pretty new to flinters also. Got my first this past August at an auction. A TC PA Hunter.

Thanks for the responces. The weekend will be cold and wet (maybe flurries on Sunday!), not the best weather for a greenhorn's first outing with a flintlock! By the time I get to shot it, I will have my 4f! It's nice to know that I can use other powders in pinch. I will use the 4f, but will try the others at some point.

I have a priming horn spout that dispenses 3 gr. with 4fg. 3fg doesn't meter as well. I've tried just pouring from the horn, but I usually fill the pan too much and have to wipe some away. 3fg would be my preference if the spout would allow.

Last edited:
Howdy All,
I'm a flintlock virgin. I've been making smoke with a percussion rifle for 3 years, but I just purchaced my first flintlock (T/C Hawken .50). In my research (internet expert!), I've learned that flintlocks are primed with 4f. I've read here that 3f (even 2f) works also. I've ordered some 4f but it will not arrive until next week. Should I wait until the 'fine' stuff arrives or go blasting using 3f primer? I'm a big boy and can wait, but I really want to try my new boom stick this weekend (weather permiting)!
Use what you have. Learn from your own first hand experiences, not from the opinion of some keyboard jockey on the internet. Once you try different powder manufacturers and various granulations you will figure what you like and works best for you in your guns. In mean time, use what you have and keep notes. In the big picture, have found most any real blackpowder works to some degree and amount of satisfaction. One just has to figure out what makes them smile the most.

Back