• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who made the barrels for the tc hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From Cody Wyoming, now lives in Oakwood Illinois
I would like to know who made the barrels for the TC Hawken rifle. I have read different threads and am kind of confused on who really made their barrels. I have read that at one time Sharon made them. Also read that Douglas made them. Also read that both Sharon and Douglas made them. Also that you could tell by looking underneath the barrel on the bottom flats and that either a Spade or a Maltese Cross would be stamped their and that would determine who made the barrel. Also read that the later model has the name ( HAWKEN ) stamped on the barrel and that would mean that TC made their own barrel. I have two TC Hawken rifles in 50 cal. One has the model name( HAWKEN ) stamped on the barrel and also has the QLA. The other is an earlier model with nothing but the made in Rochester N.H. and 50cal. stamped on the barrel. Neither barrel has the Spade or Maltese Cross stamped on the bottom flats. Can anyone tell me who made the TC Hawken barrel. Respectfully, cowboys1062

Early models where indeed sub-contracted out to 3 different suppliers.
Then TC began making their own.
I'm sorry, I don't know what year it was when they began making their own.
The records of such information where lost in a fire at the TC plant so even they can't pinpoint a date.

Why not send a note to T/C and ask them, they sold the rifles and if any one would know it would be the manufacturer.

I know a unique thought.

I'm bettin' anyone who was involved with the original TC's and would know where the original barrels came from has retired or been laid off.

We're talking about people who worked there over 35 years ago and who were 'in the know' about where the parts were coming from.

We are also talking about a time when all purchase orders and vendor contracts were done on paper.

Old paper is expensive to keep and a lot of companies often just trash it rather than store it.
Then, there's the big TC fire that wiped out all the old serial number information. That could have also burned up any old purchase order records.

Unless we are lucky and find an old TC employee who will tell us the real answer to "who made the barrels?" this is likely to become another ongoing mystery that is never solved.

Don't know who and don't care who made my TC tube. It is 1970 vintage and is a tack driver. Lots of game with it.

I have barrels with the spade and cross. I have read all kinds of stories, about the different makers. I think, "Hart", was also included. I never heard that Douglas was in the mix, but may have been. I think the earlier barrels might have a few thousandths deeper rifling, but I have newer tried to measure. Even if they were made by these different companies, they may have been built to TC specs. I have never seen a TC with deep rifling, like you would see, on a custom Douglas barrel. Another thing, I have never seen where an early barrel, would shoot any better than a late barrel.

A guy on another web sight claims to have a TC rifle with a iron cross stamp, and serial #88xx, that he purchased January 1972.

my .45 T/C Hawken has a serial number in the low 3000's & has the case-colored triggerguard that 'sposedly signifies first year of production which would be 1970. it also has the fully inlet wegdeplates, high comb & one screw nosecap. it has the spade mark whatever that means. my .50cal has a 7000's serial number & has all the same features except the guard is brass so, I guess it would be a year or so newer. it also has the spade mark.

one of my Renegades has the cross & the other one has an M stamped on the bottom of the barrel.

I have a real TC relic from the 1970s... the barrel shows MAVI. It is a real tack-driver :wink:

It is my wife Sheila's rifle, and she sure loves it!!

Douglas or TC? Latter contract were Green Mountain

GM was a contractor to many companies. Branch Meanly made great barrels. He is a LMNRA champion ship shooter. [Using his own made barrels]

He sold his company latter, and I agree he made millions on his genius. A little guy makes big!!

GM is now again owned by a private owner and expect much more from them in the future.
However the ML is not the best format for a large company. It seems the ML crowd has grown much smaller and IMHO were the cheap bastards in the first place.

nhmoose said:
It seems the ML crowd has grown much smaller and IMHO were the cheap bastards in the first place.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

davescott said:
So the cross is a Douglas?

No, not Douglas.
As already said the history of TC barrels is muddy. I seem to recall in the very early days they made their own. Then they outsourced to several other makers. Douglas did make some for a while. Really, doesn't matter.

Back