• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who is using smoothbores?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20200901_101841.jpg

While I cant say I hunt exclusively with a smoothbore, I did get my first smoothbore this year and got in a little grouse hunting. Will be ready for turkey this spring (first time for that as well). I've always hunted grouse with a BP revolver, had a blast with the 20 gauge this year and will definitely be my favorite grouse gun.

Good luck on your hunt!

Tom

I hunt squirrel, turkey and occasionally ground hog with my 62 caliber Fusil de Chasse (Big Berthy). There's a picture of it in Squirrel Hunting 2020 on this site. I use my black powder rifles and pistols for target shooting.

Right now just smoothbores. Mostly been hunting with my TVM "Early Virginia" smooth rifle the past few years as my Centermark F.d.C. has been awaiting repair. I got the repairs complete the other day. Once a rear sight is installed it will probably become my "go to" gun. And the TVM may even go up for trade at some point.
I use them to hunt; squirrels, deer, turkeys, pheasants (though not often for pheasant), occasionally coyote. If we had enough partridge left I'd use the Fusil des Chase for those too. If I had an opportunity to go for bear or moose I wouldn't hesitate to use either one, but would probably lean toward the heavier TVM for the bigger tougher animals.

Do you mean use a smoothbore muzzleloader exclusively (no modern smoothbores) or do you mean hunt with a smoothbore and no rifled longarms? When using a shotgun with either shot or ball I use a muzzleloader. Any birds in season flying, turkeys and chachalaca (shot on foot or wing) and rabbits and squirrels. Depending on the circumstances I use the same smoothbore for deer or other big game. For flying birds I use a "square load" of an equivalent cup of 7/8 ounce shot or 1 ounce shot and same cup full of powder. With turkeys, squirrels and sometimes rabbits I use a 7/8 ounce cup shot cup full of powder with 1 ounce of shot. Ball is similar, one of the cups is about 82 grains of powder and I put a wad, unpatched ball and over-shot card on it.

I've considered doing that for a season. Maybe next year only use my fowling piece for all gun hunting. I've gone turkey, squirrel and pheasant hunting with it. I do enjoy the gun as I find it unpretentious, easy to use, and accurate enough...though I'm still working out "perfect loads."

Last edited:
Used my 20 gage trade gun exclusively for years. I have taken bear, deer, turkey, duck, quail, chukar, squirrel, rabbit, and woodchuck. It has been my go to gun for a long time.
Takes a bit more patience to use a smoothbore because you have to wait for the game to come into your comfort range (the range that you feel able to make a humane kill shot). With turkeys I wait until they are within about 20 yards, deer within about 50 yards.

View attachment 57939

While I cant say I hunt exclusively with a smoothbore, I did get my first smoothbore this year and got in a little grouse hunting. Will be ready for turkey this spring (first time for that as well). I've always hunted grouse with a BP revolver, had a blast with the 20 gauge this year and will definitely be my favorite grouse gun.

Good luck on your hunt!

Tom
Beautiful piece! Their known as Fowlers correct?

Gary

Latest posts

Back