• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question on powder charges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All you 62 cal smoothbore guys, I’m just curious what powder charge you use for deer hunting? I run 80 gr 3f and a .600 prb.
Like I said just out of curiosity
Kevin

70 grn of fffg & a .626 roundball in my 16 gauge put this one down..

336A3B7E-2A03-4FA4-8270-81815A009B1E.jpeg

Normally I use 70 grns of ffg.& a patched roundball..
Both shoot reasonably well in this gun.

My 62 really likes 85 grains of 2f and .600 prb. It shot reasonably well group wise at 65-70 grains but the group was about 4 inches low at 50 yards. Dead center at 50 with the 85 grain charge.

Someone needs to compile all the answers given to this questions from all the posts of it being asked and make a chart or something and posts it in fluorescent red at the top of the forum.

Early Virginia smoothrifle:
.615 bore preferred roundball loads;
80 grains 3f, thin card, lubed felt wad, .610 ball, 2 thin cards. I now really only use this when hunting a particular property where longer shots are more possible or even likely. I've since discovered the nicer and more economical shooting,

65 grains 3f, thin card, then the surprise,,,,, either a lubed felt wad and with .610 ball on top or a .010 lubed patch holding a .595 ball,,, they both shoot equally well, the ball with wad gets 2 thin cards on top. This is the only decent shooting PRB load I've found with this smoothrifle.

Decent shooting, acceptable, is under 4" at 50 yards, to me.

Centermark Fusil des Chase;
this gun with its thinner barrel and lighter overall build is a little fussing and a little harder kicking.
80/85 grains powder with a patched .600 ball shoots well, but feels abusive after a few shots, especially off a bench when load testing learning the loads hold overs/unders.

Current preferred load is; 75 grains 2f, dry felt wad, lubed wad (either felt or lubed ball of tow), .610 ball, two thin cards.
Ball of tow is about the same size as the roundball before I smush it into a nest and put it in the muzzle. It may shoot slightly better than the felt.
Groups in this gun tend to open up if a stiff or hard card/wad is placed between powder and ball.
I do intend to test with a nitro card instead of 2 thin cards over the ball because I had the ball lift a the cards a few inches up the bore during transport this year.

60 gr. 2F ( usually , but 3F is fine ) , usually, spit patched .600 round ball ... Prime with same as main charge . When using wadding I prefer hornets nest ...

Attachments

• IMG_20231120_155851.jpg
    IMG_20231120_155851.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back