• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

who is this famous person and what are the guns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Colt may be a Navy and the grainy pic makes the barrel look round?

It could be a Griswold or another copy of a Colt. The grip looks very Colt-like and doesn't have that slant that Confederate copies usually have.

The top pic is clearer but doesn't have that gun in it.

Now that we all know who he is! How about everyone’s guess as to what is sticking out of his jacket at chest hight?

Recall a few years back, a pair of nice cased Southern Deringers appeared on the Antiques Road Show; they were immediately recognized as having been stolen from a historical home (in Tenn. or Ky.?) and subsequently returned to the rightful place. Don't recall how the' owners' on the Roadshow obtained them or if the thief was ID'ed. They had photos of them in place on a table in a hallway or room, and presumably they are kept safer now!

I think it was a common deal to go to the fairs and expositions and have your photo take in the prop closes and their gun setup. You can still do it at some of the Civil Battlefields . Just a souvenir of the time. This souvenir happens to have real cool guns

I think it was a common deal to go to the fairs and expositions and have your photo take in the prop closes and their gun setup. You can still do it at some of the Civil Battlefields . Just a souvenir of the time. This souvenir happens to have real cool guns
I found an old camera card full of pics from my deployment in 2007-08 and there are dozens of pics of all of us holding weird guns that we found in houses, our own weapons in "heroic" poses or other random stuff.

And I always take pics of myself in some cool guy pose with one of my more cool looking guns. I totally get it, they just didn't have smart phones back then or else we'd have 1000's of Custer selfies holding any of his various pistols.

People don't change, just the times. The urge for guys to take pics to show off never stops

I'm in the Buffalo Bill camp, but I'll leave the gun identification to the folks here who are smarter than I am.

Many early photographic processes, i.e.: the tintype, ambrotype and the Daugerotype produced images that were reversed left to right. If you wanted an image that would be "correct" you either used a prism or mirror in front of the camera or you took a picture of the picture which would appear correct. The top image appears to be the original image, it being reversed. The bottom image displays a correct rendition, but is of lesser quality, so it is probably a picture of a picture.

Now, it COULD have been done with a glass plate negative... and quite possibly this one was. Much more expensive, but you got better image quality as far as sharpness was concerned and you could make many images from the original negative. These were in use from the early 1850's generally until the 1880's. This isn't a Daugerotype, from the color tone, and while I have seen tintypes colored like this, it looks more like a glass plate negative printed on albumen paper. Why someone would have produced a reversed copy is a mystery to me. The provenance of the original image might provide a clue.

I've encountered glass plate negatives occasionally over the years. You can still make contact prints from them using conventional or POP (Printing Out Paper) if you can find it, but you have to be very careful as the glass and the emulsion on the glass are both very fragile.

I love looking at these period images. Keep 'em coming. In our new digital photography age, images like this are going to be rare because nobody is making photo albums with them... they are just stored online, and when somebody croaks, the imagery mostly gets deleted. I still have and use film cameras, but mostly I shoot digital images these days. Just so much less expensive...

Below is the original image digitally reversed if anyone is interested in a right-reading image of better quality. They didn't have the GIMP back in those days:
billcody.png

Looks more like 'Texas Jack' Omohundro, also born in 1846.

mhb - MIke
Several years ago a man came into my shop and his name sound so familiar I thought and thought and finally it came to me his last name was Omohundro..I asked if he was related to Jack Omohundro and sure enough he was I had a old picture that had Jack ...Wild Bill and Buffalo Bill in it and showed him .All he knew was that they were related either a great great great grand pa or uncle ... Interesting...

Back