• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

White lightnin installation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay, I'm working on my second build and installing a white lightnin touchhole liner from Jim Chambers (not the TOW version). So far I've drilled and tap the hole and slightly countersunk for the shoulder using an 82 degree countersink as indicated on the directions from Jim Chambers. My question is...did I countersink it enough or does it need more?

Here are some pics:

As always, thanks!

The deeper the ctsk, the longer the land of the TH. I usually get a TH w/ about a .03-.04 land. If the ctsk is too shallow, then the land could be only a "feathered edge" which could blow out.....so, lean towards a deeper ctsk.Judging from your pics, I would say you could go slightly deeper......Fred

Agree with others. Keep goin. I bury that final flange a bit more. Looks like yours is still proud of barrel surface. Then check inside for protrusion into bore before you cut off sacrificial nub.

I've still got a good bit of barrel before the liner starts to protrude, so I could definitely go some more.

Threads are fine, just as it came from Rice. That's just the manure from when I drilled the hole and tapped it with cutting oil. It obviously needs a wipe down when I'm done.

After opening up the factory TH w/ a #51 drill {.067}, a ctsk is very lightly used to put a couple three thousands ctsk...just enough to break the sharp corner. Neat job......Fred

Thanks, Fred. I was very please with how easy the whole procedure went.

With it being my first time putting one of these in, I put it a smidge over 1/16 in front of the breech plug face. That way if I messed it up I could go back with a bigger liner with no problems. Do you think it being a little forward of the plug will negatively effect ignition times or anything?

One advantage of the WL being 1/16" ahead of the breechplug face is that the BP fouling is less likely to clog the parabolic cone of the WL TH liner when swabbing....Again...a very neat installation.....Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice installation. That's the way it should be done. No problem with it being just 1/16 inch ahead of the breach plug face. In fact, that may be the best location because of it not being bothered with "stuff" building up on the breach face and restricting the flash through the touch hole. Ya done good! :thumbsup:

Back