• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My Investarms/Lyman .45 GPR will arrive in about two weeks. Yet I must decide which barrel twist to order: 1 in 32" or 1 in 60". I will shoot mostly patched round balls on target. Which twist is more accurate?

Please help :surrender:

:hatsoff: Icy

Icy: for round patched balls you can't beat a slow 1/60 twist :grin: SPUD

Hi Icy,

the correct twist is 1in 66''. My GPR in .45 has the same and accuracy with PRB is pretty well. It is the most authentical shooting with PRB I guess.

No question in my mind I would go with the slower twist.The 1 in 66 or 1 in 60 which ever it is would be the better twist for roundball. Happy shooting :thumbsup:

Technically speaking, either one can use round balls but the fast twist will only work with small powder charges. The fast twist will allow the patched ball to slip along the rifling and ruin accuracy.

Thanks to all, will take slowest one. Asked this question only because soome rifles are producing in 1 on 24" twist or faster for target shooting (Ardesa Underhammer , Pederssli Bristlen A. Morges , etc..

Hope that I will be able to catch any targets :hmm: :rotf:

Yup, 1:66 twist for them RB's. the 1:32 will handle them on reduced charges but dont expect great groupings.

Hi Icy,

what kind of RB will you use. Selfcasted or buyed RB and which Diameter?
I use .445 selfcasted with ,012mm lubed patch and 90 grs WANO PP, wad between. Makes hole in hole groups and is good for hunting.

Hi K'Meister
I would like to selfcast the RBs but it is little difficult to obtain pure lead around here. A friend of mine is working at a store with metals but they are selling only 100 pounds pieces 99% pure. One cost about 200€ :( . Must find a foundry and purchase some smaller pieces.

I am still searching for well supplied store in Trieste, Ferlach or Klagenfurt for casting, cleaning and loading accessories. Also find some sheep fat and will cook my "mutton tallow". So I hope :grin: . Local store has a kind of Crisco: white frying vegetables fat. At the end of the week I will get 4 pounds of bees wax ... It's A Long Way To Tiperary ... and I am almost :youcrazy: looking my armoury laying unfired ...

Hi Icy,

I buy my lead in the internet[url] www.egun.de[/url]. Further more for ML equipment take a look at[url] www.shootoff.de[/url]. I think in Austria ML shooting is not very common, but I have some friends there which I can ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could get in real trouble with the wife looking at the first site you posted. A lot of nice looking weapons at good prices :thumbsup: . A lot of .45 cal. rifles, including your GPR.

Icy, are there stores with supplies for plumbers there? If so, plumber's lead is good for casting balls from what I've read.

Guys, can you help with the specifics of this?

I have a Shenandoah from Traditions with a 1:66 twist and you want to see a rifle that loves flirting with a bullseye WOW I love it. It's got a long barrel too, like 33&1/2" or thereabouts. I'm a big believer in that twist for patched round balls. I'm getting awesome results. I'm even plannning on taking it deer hunting this fall

Some sources for pure lead are, as was mentioned, Plumbers, Roofing companies, small companies who work on or make sail boats, Medical offices which use X rays or offer Radiation treatment (film and radioactive materials are shipped in pure lead containers).

Wheel weights, reclaimed bullets, and solder all are alloyed with elements to make them harder so they usually do not make good muzzleloading bullets/balls.

zonie :)

O.S.O.K. said:
Icy, are there stores with supplies for plumbers there? Snip, snip..

Yap they are ... In Slovenia we are now using plastic pipes for sinks :( Maybe I'll find some used lead on scrapyard ...

Zonie said:
Some sources for pure lead are, as was mentioned, Plumbers, Roofing companies, small companies who work on or make sail boats, Medical offices which use X rays or offer Radiation treatment (film and radioactive materials are shipped in pure lead containers).

For roofing material we are using mostly aluminum or zinc coated iron sheets. No lead there and do not want to come close to containers for radioactive elements :winking:.

But in the other case:

From 50kg 99% pure lead (100 pounds about) we can cast about 10000 .45 cal 131 grains balls. I will pay for 50kg of lead about 200€, 10000 cast bullets would cost me about 700€ to 800€ ... For surplus value of 500€ I can purchase 2 Colt 1851 Uberti revolvers, or almost 3 Lyman Plains pistols or a new flintlock Lyman GPR ... :hmm:

And the correct answer is? :winking:

Roofers use lead "skirts" to seal around vents and such - just fyi.

The bulk buy does look good - but by my calculations: (100 pounds x 7000 grains)/131 = 5,344 balls. Plenty enough to keep you in lead balls for many years. Especially if you police up the back stop after shooting, or better yet have an angled "trap" to collect them :)

I like your math. My wife never seems to understand that when I'm spending money I'm realy saving money in the long run, and shes an acountant. :rotf: F.K.

O.S.O.K. said:
Roofers use lead "skirts" to seal around vents and such - just fyi.
Not in Slovenia One Shot OK :winking:

fisher king said:
I like your math. My wife never seems to understand ... :rotf: F.K.
Mine is the same, too. I really do not know why :confused: ... :rotf: ... and precise number is 10438 balls :v

Back